Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I would say drive both and go with the one you most prefer. Doesn't matter which option, take care of your stuff and prepare for possible repairs/costs in the future. If you can't financial prepare for that, then seriously consider something more in budget.

Also...I seriously question why there are certain members even on this forum. If you love Toyota or some other brand so much, why waste your time on a Jeep forum? Suppose you are free to waste your time anyway you want...

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yep, keeping and maintaining an older car (or keeping one) for a long time is a passion and really only suited for those who can wrench on their own stuff… Besides after dealing with the dealers on these, I don’t think the warranty is really worth the hassle (more so when they can’t do simple maintenance correctly).
Yeah, I haven't had my 18 JL to the dealer. I fixed the stuff that broke and failed...sun visors, leaky axle, and steering. Well, mostly fixed the steering. LOL

I had a car for 20 years, replaced the engine twice, one trans, 2 paint jobs (one I did myself), full interior, suspension, etc. Too many things to list, let alone remember. When I told my wife I wanted a new truck, she opposed it until I reminded her of how many girlfriends had been in that car. Got a fully loaded new truck that year.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Alright man… whats your point? The man asked ‘what to get for relability?’ And i said ‘why worry, no one else is, get what you like. Look around you, everyone else is’. And you say ‘BUT OMG, jeep is the bestest!! How can you say everyone is getting one!! You dont know!! You dont know!!’

and im irked… by his lack of an ability to make a decision, and by your apparent inability to divorce yourself from your knee deep dedication to a mechanical item that someone else prudently recognized will eventually break.

so?
You're erked by my inability to chose? Are you serious? I chose whatever I want. I only asked current Jeep owners opinions on reliability because they own them and have experience with them and I wanted to hear what kind of issues they are having between the two combinations so I can make a smart decision. It has nothing to do with not being able to choose for myself.

When you're buying a vehicle that you plan on keeping long-term you have to research reliability. Why wouldn't I? In the end I will be the ine making the decision on what to buy.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You're erked by my inability to chose? Are you serious. I chose whatever I want. I only asked current Jeep owners opinions on reliability because they own them and have experience with them and I wanted to hear what kind of issues they are having between the two combinations so I can make a smart decision. It has nothing to do with not being able to choose for myself.

When you're buying a vehicle that you plan on keeping long-term you have to research reliability. Why wouldn't I? In the end I will be the ine making the decision on what to buy.
He’s butt hurt and trolling Jeep forums, its pretty sad actually. Back to your original question, I’m a huge fan of our 2.0t and 8 speed auto both on and off road. Pushing 40k miles with no repair issues. Will it last 200k miles…Who knows? Is it fun to drive? Does it pull hard even at high altitudes? Has it been reliable through many harsh environments and remote locations? Absolutely.

Sponsored

MassMopar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JT Mojave, 23 JLR
Buy the one you can afford that you like to drive and roll the dice on reliability.

I would also order one as soon as you possibly can because the prices will never get any lower.

Our "simple" 2018 JLUR w/3.6 auto (no etorque) dropped a valve in the middle of an intersection and had to be towed to the dealer for a new head with 25k miles on it. Dealer repaired it under warranty and it was fine afterwards. We just traded it in yesterday and went all in on complicated beasts with a 4xe!

Before the 2018, we had a 2014 JKUR 3.6/auto and a 2015 JKUR 3.5/manual. The '14 had a radiator start leaking ~30k miles, had a ticking head replaced under warranty, and had an oil cooler rupture that leaked oil all down the back of the motor, over the bellhousing, and all over the exhaust crossover pipe. Everything was repaired or replaced under warranty but we traded it in on the '18 with 65k miles on it.

The '15 did pretty well with only a couple minor issues but again that one was sold when I got a company car for a couple years. Overall, I liked offroading the automatics more than the manual, but the manual had a real tank or tractor feel to it and every time I drove that Jeep I felt like I was on a mission.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best combo for reliability? Old and new2

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Do you really believe a gx could run the Rubicon trail stock? It's been done hundreds of times in stock Jeeps. Able to drive dirt roads literally describes every awd/4wd vehicle, doesn't mean they are equally capable. I'm willing to bet whatever amount of money you want that a far higher percentage of jlu's see trails than gx's. Obviously not everybody wheels their Jeep, but almost nobody wheels their gx. Your comparison is like comparing a miata to a gtr. Both can go around the track and most gtr owners will never race their's anyway so they are equally capable...
There’s more off road trails then just the Rubicon (just as there’s more tacks then just the Nuremberg). I have seen older GX series out with Land Cruisers when enjoying my JLR and they’re pretty impressive off-road. I’m only simply stating the GX offers more then creature comfort and is more capable off-road then you think. It offers both better then a similarly priced pickup truck that you implied, when I first replied to you. Unless capability is hauling or towing stuff around… I’m not saying the GX is better then the JLU or JKU, but I certainly respect them for what they are. If I had to buy a second vehicle to compliment my JLR, GX would be toward the top of the list.

I think JL platform is a mechanically solid platform. It is not the area I feel will be a problem in the long run.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
He’s butt hurt and trolling Jeep forums, its pretty sad actually. Back to your original question, I’m a huge fan of our 2.0t and 8 speed auto both on and off road. Pushing 40k miles with no repair issues. Will it last 200k miles…Who knows? Is it fun to drive? Does it pull hard even at high altitudes? Has it been reliable through many harsh environments and remote locations? Absolutely.
It's definitely going to be a close decision. I find myself leaning both ways and constantly flip flopping. I see the pros and cons of both from the research I've been doing and listening to people's experiences.

The 2.0T definitely intrigues me power wise and the Auto is definitely something I think I would welcome down the road and especially if I need someone else to drive for some reason being that I'm the only one in my household who can drive a manual. Plus I can see myself eventually getting sick of shifting. Although I never got sick of shifting my 2015 Challenger Scat Pack. But that was a Muscle car. Maybe the Jeep will be the same? Don't know. It might be since it's a fun vehicle as well.

I've pretty much decided I'm ordering a 2022 Rubicon in October or whenever they open up the order banks. Hopefully sooner then later. Now I just have to decide on the engine and transmission combo. It's crazy how split this is. It's usually a much clearer cut and dry decision with my other vehicles I've purchased. I honestly think with this one I'll even be surprising myself with what I chose in the end.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You're erked by my inability to chose? Are you serious? I chose whatever I want. I only asked current Jeep owners opinions on reliability because they own them and have experience with them and I wanted to hear what kind of issues they are having between the two combinations so I can make a smart decision. It has nothing to do with not being able to choose for myself.

I get irked when people get irked on the Internet... 😫

Status
Not open for further replies.