Not open for further replies.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Ok so I have time to think about this before I order my 2022 Jeep but I'd like to get some opinions from experienced Jeep JL owners in the mean time to help make my decision easier when the time comes in October.

When I order my Jeep I have a set budget that I can't break. Which leaves me with 2 options. I either chose the 2.0 engine with the Automatic transmission or I chose the 3.6 pentastar with the manual.

I've actually owned the 3.6 in a Dodge Charger before and it's a hell of a good engine that's very reliable and as strong as the older V8s power wise. I've seen articles online showing that can get 600k+ miles even. So I already know that the 3.6 is super reliable. If I go this route then the question becomes how reliable is the 6 speed manual it will get mated up with? I've seen the 6 speed had some issues in the past. Looks like they got ironed out but not sure.

The there's the 2.0 Turbo. I know nothing about this engine and it seems the jury is still out on how long it can last long term. It's definitely got the power which intrigues me. But reliability comes first as this new Jeep will be a long-term investment and ownership. Then there's the 8 speed Automatic which is a very reliable and good transmission that performs well that it will be mated to.

So in the end what's the better reliable combination? The 2.0T with Automatic or the 3.6 with the manual? 🤔
Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

I always raise an eyebrow when an engine is so small it needs a turbo to make it compatible. Just me, 2.0 sounds like a fiesta engine. We don't know what the long term reliability is unless it was used in lots of Euro cars or such. I know people love their 2.0t but I could never wrap my head around it plus is only automatic. I wanted manual so only one choice 3.6. As for the M6 it is just fine and proven.

Since you said it is long term I would go with the proven engine.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I always raise an eyebrow when an engine is so small it needs a turbo to make it compatible. Just me, 2.0 sounds like a fiesta engine. We don't know what the long term reliability is unless it was used in lots of Euro cars or such. I know people love their 2.0t but I could never wrap my head around it plus is only automatic. I wanted manual so only one choice 3.6. As for the M6 it is just fine and proven.

Since you said it is long term I would go with the proven engine.
That's the route I'm definitely leaning towards as of now. The 3.6 with the Manual. I still want to here more though. The 6 speed manual definitely had its issues. But I'm thinking that would be an easier fix then an entire engine if something did go wrong.

Sponsored

GeckoJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Baja Yellow
Ok so I have time to think about this before I order my 2022 Jeep but I'd like to get some opinions from experienced Jeep JL owners in the mean time to help make my decision easier when the time comes in October.

When I order my Jeep I have a set budget that I can't break. Which leaves me with 2 options. I either chose the 2.0 engine with the Automatic transmission or I chose the 3.6 pentastar with the manual.

I've actually owned the 3.6 in a Dodge Charger before and it's a hell of a good engine that's very reliable and as strong as the older V8s power wise. I've seen articles online showing that can get 600k+ miles even. So I already know that the 3.6 is super reliable. If I go this route then the question becomes how reliable is the 6 speed manual it will get mated up with? I've seen the 6 speed had some issues in the past. Looks like they got ironed out but not sure.

The there's the 2.0 Turbo. I know nothing about this engine and it seems the jury is still out on how long it can last long term. It's definitely got the power which intrigues me. But reliability comes first as this new Jeep will be a long-term investment and ownership. Then there's the 8 speed Automatic which is a very reliable and good transmission that performs well that it will be mated to.

So in the end what's the better reliable combination? The 2.0T with Automatic or the 3.6 with the manual? 🤔
Well, I hope it's the 2.0 cuz that's what I ordered🤣

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Possibly for life. 20+ years at least..
How many miles?
I have the 2.0 and I don’t plan on having it past 100,000 and I’m not worried about it going out before then. I had two 2014 3.6 wranglers that both had head issues that resulted in bad repairs by the dealer that ended up causing more damage. Also the heads failed outside of the 100k warranty so I had to ask Jeep to pay for the repairs (they covered part of it because it was a known issue with the heads).
I don’t have worries about making repairs on the 2.0 because it seems like most parts will be cheap. The turbo is only like $400 for example.
The transmission should last a very long time, but I think they are fairly expensive.
I think each engine has its pros and cons and it’s a gamble on which will last longer anyway so if I were you I would test drive each back to back and pick the one you prefer to drive. Engines will eventually fail anyway so do what makes you happy for the 200,000 miles until you need to start replacing major parts.

Man if you are in it for 20 years + get a Toyota. One that is built in Japan. 4Runner or LC.
He has a valid point. You’ll be replacing ball joints, seals, bearings, etc on the solid axles of the Jeep multiple times over 20 years. Also steering components, etc.

Sponsored

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
Man if you are in it for 20 years + get a Toyota. One that is built in Japan. 4Runner or LC.
This... ^^^

Don't get me wrong, you can achieve your longevity goals with the Jeep, but you'd best be handy with a wrench.

Jesus_fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Clubs

I had my last vehicle for almost 15 years, so I understand this line of thinking. I wanted simple, tried and true. So I went 6sp and 3.6, but wish I at least had the option of simple (non e-torque) 3.6 and automatic. That fact plus the extra cost pushed me to the manual. Can't say if it was a good decision yet, still waiting for it to show up! The two month wait sure gives you time to second (third, fourth,...) guess yourself LOL.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.