Not open for further replies.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I feel the 3.6L is a very simple motor and that helps with its proven long term reliability. With the 6 speed (at least on my 2021), you skip out on all the hybrid type stuff keeping things simpler. The manual, I don’t think will be an issue with reliability but it is certainly geared strangely (at least reverse is and some of the gears feel long). But for reliability, I am only concerned about the clutch issues (but Center Force offers a solid replacement) and common corrosion with this model. I intend to keep this vehicle for a long time.
Sponsored

BigGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Man if you are in it for 20 years + get a Toyota. One that is built in Japan. 4Runner or LC.
This was what I thought when I was buying. But then I found as many high mileage Jeeps for sale as 4runners, if JKs can make it to 300k, maybe Jeep’s aren’t as unreliable as they say.

I think the 2.0t is going to replace the Pentastar eventually. That said, if I were buying today I would get the Pentastar with eTorque. Since everything has start/stop, eTorque makes it smooth.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
20 years is a long, long time to plan. We'll probably all be in COVID work camps breaking rocks with hammers for the common good by then.

All I'll say is that i have a 32 year old Jeep that i can go to the local parts store and get most of the things i need off the shelf. The things they don't have i can order online and the parts are really cheap.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Get the auto tranny. 2.0Turbo has been a solid engine so far and owners love it. I personally own and prefer the 3.6.

if my budget put me in your position, I would decide for the automatic transmission. It really is that good. The manual is a slug and I dont wanna insult manual owners. It is just not that great, while the auto is a top notch transmission across the auto industry.

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming proper maintenance and quality fluids are always used, lower rpm engines tend to hold the better chance of longevity. That's one of the reasons why I kept gravitating to the 2.0 over the 3.6 after test driving over 100 different Jeeps to directly compare both engines. The 3.6's consistently required higher rpm's to accelerate at the same rate as the 2.0's.

As far as the reliability of turbochargers? They are quite simple and typically will only prematurely fail due to poor maintenance. Stretching oil intervals and the center bearing being fed contaminated oil, and air filters allowed to run past their service life and are allowing debris to bypass them into the intake stream. I've personally owned a handful of turbo engines that had well documented maintenance records, and the turbo was still pulling strong with over 500k on the clock. My record high vehicle mileage had 1,652,247 on the odometer, never had the head or pan pulled, and only went to the knacker because the body was deteriorated far past the point of "what was I thinking?" It was a 1982 Mercedes 300D turbodiesel. It's only sign of getting mechanically tired, was blowby that amounted to about a quart of Rotella T 15/40 every 1k miles.

Modern advances in metallurgy, machining tolerances, and fuel/oil quality and additive packages are only helping to pave the road to higher potential longevity than that of yesteryear.

My 2.0 w/ BSG is currently at the 53k mark, hasn't had a single hiccup, and I don't see any reason why I won't get my monies worth out of it. Even with a larger lift and tires, it has plenty of pep all the way up to speeds it shouldn't be doing anyway, so I have zero plans on ever juicing up its output, which can potentially be the path to lost lifespan.

And please don't take any of this as a knock to the 3.6's longevity and reliability. Just don't so easily fall into the wrongful thinking that a smaller displacement turbo engine is a recipe for disaster.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
If you must choose between those two I would get the 3.6 6 speed. Yes indeed it still has lots of problem, clutch problems still exist. Recall after recall. But that’s still less headache to deal with than the 2.0 etorque. You will have 3 different cooling system one engine one for the battery and one for the 48v motor, just to begin with. Then the turbo, battery, intercooler plus shit tons of extra parts and system.

That’s said if you must get a Jeep. However if you don’t want to be an master jeep technician after 10 years of owning a jeep, 4Runner, gx460 is a awesome alternative.
New 2.0t don’t have etorque…

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Regarding the engines and long term reliability the consensus is that you should be alright with either choice. Some argue the 2.0 is a gamble. Whatever people say, it is a new engine, and people saying "I have 53k miles and have no issues" is meaningless for long term reliability. We just don't have enough real world data to know for sure if it will hold for years and 100,000s of miles. That's just a reality.

On the other hand, you have the pentastar. Which has been proven to be quite reliable. Could the 2.0 be even better? maybe.... we just don't know.

One could also argue, the 3.6 on the JL is a tuned up version of the JK 3.6. So.... will this tuned up version hold the same?. we will see.

You can go on and on. And this forum is plagued with arguing about which option is more reliable. The long game is a lottery. Either way you go. Shit happens, it is a man made machine, and machines break. So just pick whatever fits your budget and I would strongly encourage you to go auto and not manual.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I know you're targetting 20 year lifespan of the jeep. But, the reality is that your life changes, you gain higher income, get different priorities, different interests, etc..

Still, if you're planning a long ownership, I'd avoid a turbocharged engine. The turbcharger itself will undoubtedly not go 20 years in any scenario. The typical turbo failure is worn bearings, leading to oil seal failure and smoke out the exhaust or worse, oil going into the intake and causing detonation, leading to compression rings breaking and valves burning. The engine itself has to put out almost twice the power per cubic inch than a 3.6. That's hard on valves, pistons, rings, bearings, etc.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding the engines and long term reliability the consensus is that you should be alright with either choice. Some argue the 2.0 is a gamble. Whatever people say, it is a new engine, and people saying "I have 53k miles and have no issues" is meaningless for long term reliability. We just don't have enough real world data to know for sure if it will hold for years and 100,000s of miles. That's just a reality.

On the other hand, you have the pentastar. Which has been proven to be quite reliable. Could the 2.0 be even better? maybe.... we just don't know.

One could also argue, the 3.6 on the JL is a tuned up version of the JK 3.6. So.... will this tuned up version hold the same?. we will see.

You can go on and on. And this forum is plagued with arguing about which option is more reliable. The long game is a lottery. Either way you go. Shit happens, it is a man made machine, and machines break. So just pick whatever fits your budget and I would strongly encourage you to go auto and not manual.
Regardless of what one's trade or skillset is, it's always easy for them to spot who is and who isn't from a similarly knowledgeable background in that same industry. These mechanical related threads are mostly filled with guesses and assumptions and regurgitated statements heard from other guessers and assumers. It does nothing but taint the next readers path. This is nothing more than an observation that I feel is more helpful than most anything else in these types of threads. I only quoted you specifically, because you quoted my line in a way that comes across as my saying that 53k miles means my 2.0 will undoubtedly go the distance.

I simply like to help in areas that are my strong points. I know zip about leasing and finance, so I do the community here a favor by staying out of those threads.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You raise an excellent point. Vehicles depreciate for about 14 years, then prices settle and start to come back up.

Twenty years is a long freaking time. Yes, reliability and durability will be key for the first 10+ years. But holding onto that vehicle beyond that time is going to be based more on fun, emotional and sentimental value than on practicality, efficiency and reliability.

Toyotas last a long time but, besides old FJs, hardly anyone restores them.

Definitely something to think about.
A 10 year old vehicle is a hobby.

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
A 10 year old vehicle is a hobby.
Yep, keeping and maintaining an older car (or keeping one) for a long time is a passion and really only suited for those who can wrench on their own stuff… Besides after dealing with the dealers on these, I don’t think the warranty is really worth the hassle (more so when they can’t do simple maintenance correctly).

BigGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
I laugh at the "2.0t is too new" arguments. We're literally lining up to get shots for a 2yr old disease we've never seen before based on untested vaccine technology that's only 10 years old. But a new turbo'd motor, boy, that can't be trusted long term.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I laugh at the "2.0t is too new" arguments. We're literally lining up to get shots for a 2yr old disease we've never seen before based on untested vaccine technology that's only 10 years old. But a new turbo'd motor, boy, that can't be trusted long term.
🍿

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You don't have to pay $50,000 to get a shot. And. if you get COVID and survive, the misery is over in 4-5 days... 😫

Status
Not open for further replies.