flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Long-time Jeeper here, but new to this site and in the process of ordering a new 2-door JL Sport with soft top. I plan to use it in stock configuration for the most part, as a daily driver, beach cruiser, and light/medium off-road machine...mostly on trails and flat-ish desert (no rock crawling or mudding). Before I pull the trigger, just trying to get an idea of how reliable this model has been for most folks. I've already read a ton about the steering and clutch issues, and know about the vehicles ratings from the usual suspects (C&D, Edmunds, etc.). However, I take the most stock in user experience, and just wanted to see what others think before I proceed. Certainly, I realize this is a very open-ended question and will likely end up with numerous subjective comments, but that's exactly what I need to see. Appreciate anything you can provide and look forward to contributing to this forum in the future.
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I'm probably one of those with a common experience. My 2018 JLU has been mostly rock solid but not perfect. Obviously, there is no perfect vehicle without fault.

I've had the traditional steering and ESS battery issues, but all have been resolved under warranty. And I had the dealer change the oil for free during the same service visits.

I'm sure you'll get many others with a different opinion.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, HTfan...buckled up here, and ready for the responses!

BTW...to clarify, my "stock configuration" would consist of: 8-speed automatic transmission, V6 eTorque engine, anti-spin rear diff, and trailer tow/HD electrical group.

gwl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Our 2020 JLUR had, in the first 6,000 miles, replacement of the fuse block, two computers, and a rear axle for the sensor problem.

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear that, gwl...what model axle? Dana 44?

Thanks, notorious...I usually keep my Jeeps stock anyway. Only thing I might consider is slightly larger tires, perhaps 32's.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
... Only thing I might consider is slightly larger tires, perhaps 32's.
I'm also only running 32" K02S since this is my daily driver and MPGs matter.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I’ve a 2018 JLR (2DR) and a 2020 JTR (Gladiator) and have about 60k miles between them. Other than recalls and regular maintenance, which is free, they’ve been solid vehicles. I also use both of them for their intended purposes...

711A4618-052E-42B1-818D-7DC7974BF68D.jpeg

AC4DC423-EBBE-4614-BE7A-037CDFD7071B.jpeg

7F2666E7-DBC3-46CE-929D-A2C7656BDFF3.jpeg

3BBEAE26-10DB-4565-85AC-C77F354DFA2C.jpeg

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Long-time Jeeper here, but new to this site and in the process of ordering a new 2-door JL Sport with soft top. I plan to use it in stock configuration for the most part, as a daily driver, beach cruiser, and light/medium off-road machine...mostly on trails and flat-ish desert (no rock crawling or mudding).
Welcome! Pretty similar situation to me. Totally stock with the soft top (only option I added was an engine block heater just because it's something I didn't want to do myself later). Soft top is far quieter than I expected it to be, even with my west Texas wind gusts, quick and easy to take up and down, handles the carwash with no leaks!

I've had zero steering issues, my Jeep was built after all the early steering box/track bar stuff that was causing problems, but also being on the stock suspension with stock tire size helps a lot as it seems larger size tires exacerbate the problem.

I have heard of people having issues with the ESS battery, though not of a newer Jeep running into that, so not sure if they fixed that problem, used a different battery, or if they're all just ticking away waiting to fail.. not too worried about it. (Going to get that memory stick that sets your last input so you dont have to press it every time)

Even stock you can do some awesome stuff, just look at this guy: and he's in a JK, so you're already ahead of the game on that.

One big thing is to check your fuses to make sure they're all fully seated, that has been a persistent problem people have had, if one jars loose you're in for a fun display of errors and issues.

Love my Jeep, puts a smile on my face every time I drive it!

EDIT: Quick note I forgot.. getting a more base version, you're giving yourself less failure points. A lot of what I see on the forum is issues with the radio, electronic FAD, lockers, remote start, safety package, etc..

Last edited:

Stuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho JLU Sport S
I have a 2018 JLU Sport S... around 13k or 14k miles. Haven't driven it much in the last year, go figure...

I had the ESS battery replaced under warranty.

I've had 3-4 incidents over the years of harmless glitches on the gauges display that I never bothered to even get looked at.

One of the drivers floormat pegs broke. Fixed with superglue, all by myself too! :LOL:

But yea, 3 years, no big deal. My 2012 JKU was similarly awesome, except for a small issue something about heads being replaced

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Long-time Jeeper here, but new to this site and in the process of ordering a new 2-door JL Sport with soft top. I plan to use it in stock configuration for the most part, as a daily driver, beach cruiser, and light/medium off-road machine...mostly on trails and flat-ish desert (no rock crawling or mudding). Before I pull the trigger, just trying to get an idea of how reliable this model has been for most folks. I've already read a ton about the steering and clutch issues, and know about the vehicles ratings from the usual suspects (C&D, Edmunds, etc.). However, I take the most stock in user experience, and just wanted to see what others think before I proceed. Certainly, I realize this is a very open-ended question and will likely end up with numerous subjective comments, but that's exactly what I need to see. Appreciate anything you can provide and look forward to contributing to this forum in the future.
I'd not be concerned as most of the new-model issues are now resolved. Steering was the last big one and that is behind us.

I've had mine for 40,000 miles now and pretty much problem free.

I had a FAD issue but that was likely due to my usage of the vehicle or bad luck on my part as we don't see a lot of such reports on here. Axle was replaced and zero issues since.

Enjoy your Jeep - they are a lot of fun!

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
just passed 2 years of ownership and 15K miles. Had to get a new rear axle (dana44) which dealership did quickly and a computer glitch (service engine light) that they said was a loose ground connection. While those 2 alone are more issues than I have ever had on any other new vehicle, it would not deter me from buying one again. I will say the ESS stalling in traffic is an ongoing fear or mine but so far so good on that front

I love this vehicle and the joy it brings driving it far outweighs the negatives for me.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the great feedback, and hope those with ongoing issues are able to get them fixed ASAP. I thoroughly enjoyed my '99 TJ and '80 CJ (selling it now, though), so I'm hoping to have a similar experience with the JL. As for the ESS issue, does this leave you stranded, unable to start the engine, or can you just bypass the ESS with the disable button? Biggest fear is trekking way out in the California desert, only to be deserted (pun intended).

tubesock

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
25k no issues to report with my 3.6l 6MT JL. I never had any issues with the clutch though I did have the recall done. I replaced the highway tires with 32" Duratracs and put in a Diabolical Slipstream. Stock otherwise. It sees dirt pretty regularly and is also my DD.
Sponsored