Not open for further replies.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Not that I've heard of yet. But the jury is still out I guess. I don't think any of the new DI engines are really subject too extreme Carbon build up like the earlier engines were.
I had to make this choice 2 years ago for my wife's Cherokee. What I found at the time was that Mazda seem to be the only manufacturer that had solved the carbon build up issue without adding a set of port injectors (in addition to the direct injectors). To my thinking, this gave the 3.2 (Cherokee's mini 3.6) the future reliability advantage and that's what I went with.
Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
So, this thread will remain, but the girls and Jeeps thread was deleted in a day? :clap:
But it's t's only a car :CWL:!!

All joking aside Jason, I don't think you will be disappointed no matter what configuration you decide. I typically keep my vehicles 200,000 to 300,000+ and run thenm into the ground. I'm currently rolling on a 16 year old GMC Sierra and two 23 and 21 year old Lexus's. Just do your maintenance.

As far as a manual no way I would ever consider another vehicle with a stick. I was driving and maneuvering fully loaded tanker trucks for over 18 years here in SoCal traffic and tight stations. My GMC Sierra is stick as well. Of course it's a personal preference.

As far as capability it's all about the driver behind the wheel. That being said I have been blown away what a stock lift Wrangler can do. There are some trails I've struggled on my motorcycle and the Jeeps make a cakewalk of it.

Full disclaimer i don't own a Jeep I'm considering a 4Runner, 2 door Wrangler Rubicon or maybe a 2 door Bronco. My wife wants small and compact. Good luck with your search.

idlingmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I'll concede on this one..... Toyota is the only brand I can think of that had to replace frames on a large scale. (this actually did happen)

Ha Ha, not in my area, all the iron worms took care of them, you need to go to a local junkyard to see where all these supposedly long lasting vehichles end up and note the end of life condition and mileage when they arrive to visit the crusher. My local yard gets all the 3rd hand derelicts and crushes 3500 cars a year, most including most Toys are about 10yrs 150-200 K. You dont see old Toyota trucks here.

Per the OpP get the 3.6 and pony the 1500 for the auto. IMHO that combo will probably be the easiest to maintain, most common and easiest to get key spare parts long term.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
So to all of you suggesting the auto trans, has anybody priced a rebuild/replacement cost on one of these? They aren't going to last 20 years without. I would bet it is several times the cost of keeping the manual on the road.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I agree with a regular vehicle like a Honda Civic or something. But a vehicle like a Jeep with a Monster aftermarket you can make last forever and keep it forever.

As I said earlier no other vehicle has an aftermarket like Jeep does except for Harley Davidson. That's why there are so many old Jeeps on the road and so many old Harley Davidsons on the road. You can make them last forever if you want.

I understand if you always want the latest and the greatest and treat vehicles like underwear. Plenty of people do. He'll I use to be exactly the same way. I was a car addict. There was a stretch when I was buying a new car almost every year. Every new Muscle car from the Challengers to the Camaros I've owned. Same with Harleys I had them all.

At some point you have to slow down and respect your own money and respect and care for the vehicle you purchased. I get not just any old vehicle but a Jeep can make memories and it's a lifestyle and its worth it. My kids will grow up with my Jeep and remember all the adventures and one day they will own it when I'm gone.

Also Jeeps are too dam expensive to keep buying a new one all the time!!
So you think the Wrangler isn't just another regular vehicle? Cheap and mass produced, nothing at all special about it except the mystique that surrounds it. Built by a company with a seriously questionable reputation for quality.

I do not change vehicles to be fashionable. My main vehicle is prone to getting driven 25-30k miles a year. They simply start to wear out and are not cost effective to keep going. The experience also fades rapidly with the age of the vehicle and a 20 year old Jeep is a creaking rattletrap no matter how many aftermarket parts you throw at it.

At 52 I have slowed down, I no longer have 6-7 cars at a time, just 2 now and considering a third again. It isn't a game, it is practicality and reliability, 20 year old vehicles are neither in most cases. My 10 year old truck gets replaced this year because it now requires relatively constant repairs and THAT is what I have outgrown, the desire to fix or have fixed worn out automobiles.

Good Luck with your plan. Just throwing out my opinion in this crazy thread.

Sponsored

JeeperKeeper

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy’s Unlimited
Man if you are in it for 20 years + get a Toyota. One that is built in Japan. 4Runner or LC.
Yup no JL will last that long without dumping a fortune into it. My opinion to many quality issues. Great for shorter term but 20 years? Nah

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Here's a thought ; flip a coin to choose ; if your instant reaction to that heads or tails choice is disappointment, go for the other one ..
For fun, and fast, the 2.0 is excellent. Carbon buildup in this engine is controlled by oil formulation, so I am enjoying my 2 Dr 2.0T, while the debates rage on, and the Doomsday Clock is ticking onward
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.