Sponsored

Backup Lights

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
If you like drilling holes and a non-factory look. Otherwise it's Oracle or a know-off from Amazon.
There is no "drilling holes" needed in regard to the install of the Rigid b/u lights.... I have installed many... of both the reflector light offering and the Rigid's and the install of the Rigid's is way way easier..

I should mention that there are other b/u light offerings, not just the Rigid's... To me most all are better then the reflector offerings...

As for factory look... I personally do not like the look of the whiteish reflector light replacements... they don't look good to me.... ..... Couple that with known poor fit & water/moisture issues & poor warranty and more issues.... naaah no way would I install the reflector replacements on my JL. Also, I no longer install the reflector light offerings on other people's vehicles... The failure rate on them is too high....

To each his own as to what they want to run/install.
Sponsored

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
So this is going to be a bit more involved than I expected. Have a 2020 JLUR and as many have indicated the backup lighting is horrific at best.

Looking to swap out the reflectors right below the license plate on the bumper and replace them with some type of a strong backup light as currently backing up my driveway as nearly impossible at night time.

I do have the trailer towing group.

Any and all suggestion on which lights to go with would be greatly appreciated.

Not at all mechanically inclined here is it something the dealership can easily do?
I don't know of a dealership that will install these aftermarket B/U lights. Find a good Jeep place, not a dealer.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
There is no "drilling holes" needed in regard to the install of the Rigid b/u lights.... I have installed many... of both the reflector light offering and the Rigid's and the install of the Rigid's is way way easier..

I should mention that there are other b/u light offerings, not just the Rigid's... To me most all are better then the reflector offerings...

As for factory look... I personally do not like the look of the whiteish reflector light replacements... they don't look good to me.... ..... Couple that with known poor fit & water/moisture issues & poor warranty and more issues.... naaah no way would I install the reflector replacements on my JL. Also, I no longer install the reflector light offerings on other people's vehicles... The failure rate on them is too high....

If you didn't drill a hole to mount yours, did you glue them, use 3M tape, duct tape :LOL:? Still looks like an afterthought whereas the Oracle style looks factory. You can insist you'll never install them all you want but they are the best looking option to date. Do I wish there weren't as many complaints? Certainly. Maybe the Amazon knock-off versions are better (they are cheaper at least).

Last edited:

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes

Do you have a link for the Rigid lights that you are referring to? Thanks

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Do you have a link for the Rigid lights that you are referring to? Thanks

The ones I was referring to are.... Rigid Industries 20541 Black Back-Up Light Kit (Ignite LED Diffused, Surface Mount..

Google search will bring you to many vendors selling this offering..

By the way, these Rigid's are just one of many decent and easy to install b/u light offerings.. Do look around so to speak.

I personally feel the reflector light b/u lights presently offered... are not up to snuff and well, are best to be avoided...

YES, a quality light that replaces the reflectors would be great.... and I would consider but current offering is piss poor.

But that is my opinion.... to each his own...

Sponsored

vonbek

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I have the Oracle reflector lights. They were a royal pain to install, but mostly because of the steel bumper fitment issue which I think they've resolved. As far as function, they work great for me. I've had no issues with them over the last 6 months.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

G-Oil Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC Canyon, 2021 JLUR Diesel - On order
Occupation
Engineer
For sure - however if I pull the locking hitch pin and unplug the cord, it slides right out.
How far does it stick out from the bumper? Is it possible to get a side (profile) picture? Not right now but whenever you have a chance.

Kevin_S1126

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
@Matanzas are you happy with this product? Do you know how many lumen the rigid light pod is? I checked out the link you posted above and I notified that there’s also another option with a Baja Designs light as well. Wondering which has the greater lumen output as the details aren’t mentioned on the website.

Matanzas

First Name
Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How far does it stick out from the bumper? Is it possible to get a side (profile) picture? Not right now but whenever you have a chance.
it does not really stick out from the bumper, it sticks out from the hitch. The light bracket is a bit too wide for the light to be flush with the hitch.
Jeep Wrangler JL Backup Lights 7444ACA4-4361-461F-85B2-FC98656652D8

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
it does not really stick out from the bumper, it sticks out from the hitch. The light bracket is a bit too wide for the light to be flush with the hitch.
i think this is a great option. i looked into wiring up something off of the hitch, but couldn't really find a bracket that would work well. this light can be put on or taken off in about 25 seconds, and honestly for most people it might be weeks or months before any need to remove it.

Matanzas

First Name
Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Matanzas are you happy with this product? Do you know how many lumen the rigid light pod is? I checked out the link you posted above and I notified that there’s also another option with a Baja Designs light as well. Wondering which has the greater lumen output as the details aren’t mentioned on the website.
No idea about lumens but now I can finally see what is behind me at night when I back up!
Sponsored