Backup Lights

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
The wiring under the driver rear panel was really wrapped up. I didn’t want to cut a wir stripping it. I wound up pulling the rear driver light tapping into the pink line off the light fixture that connects to the white brown stripe one further down. That area gets dust and mud in it so I wanted to go higher up. I planned to coat the splice crimp in clear silicone but went with electrical tape. If it’s not robust the pink wire has enough slack to splice and solder. I normally solder everything. I hate splice clamps, but here it makes sense to try.

I used a rigid 3 way switch and relay vs a diode. The diode option is probably cheaper. For 12 v I tapped into the cigarette lighter power, 3 way splice and solder. there is a ground just below.

I figured if I wasn’t in reverse and needed light I am probably at the back of the jeep.

I will post picks once I mount the lod bumper this weekend.

The rear panel near the back is being a pain to put on, I will takle that with day light!

Thanks to rinebeck and the others that posted here.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Martindfletcher

I saw you mentioned coating in clear silicone. Here is something I use for trailer wiring connections, etc., that take a lot of snow, water, mud, etc..

Easy to apply... a controlled apply, with the provided brush in the container. I put on a coat, then it dry, a coat over that... coating til I get a real good covering. Have used this for years with excellent results.

Corny as it sounds, it looks good after application also. SO, if what you are coating shows, it is not an eye catcher.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FPAN2K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71pasIUrnfL._SL1500_.jpg

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
@Martindfletcher

I saw you mentioned coating in clear silicone. Here is something I use for trailer wiring connections, etc., that take a lot of snow, water, mud, etc..

Easy to apply... a controlled apply, with the provided brush in the container. I put on a coat, then it dry, a coat over that... coating til I get a real good covering. Have used this for years with excellent results.

Corny as it sounds, it looks good after application also. SO, if what you are coating shows, it is not an eye catcher.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FPAN2K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71pasIUrnfL._SL1500_.jpg
That’s going in the cart!

Thanks

Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
@Martindfletcher

71pasIUrnfL._SL1500_.jpg
Is the cured product flexible?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@47Jeepster

Well, assuming you don't do a a zillion coats of it, it is not that rigid... is a tad flexible after it cures.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
@LouNYC

Lou, If you look in the passenger side front wheel well, you will see where you thread the 16G wire into the frame rail. When you get under the JL on that opening you will see the frame rail runs all the way back to the rear of the JL. There is a frame ail on each side. See pic below that shows wheel well with cable going into the opening.

You will need to go to say AutoZone or Advanced Auto, etc. and buy a roll of 16G automotive wire.

20181024_120533.jpg
HI @Rhinebeck01, are the wires run from rear to front included in the Rigid 20541 lights (the pair of surface mount cube lights), or I have to buy it separately? And does the sleeve come with it? Thank you!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@plex

You will need to buy a spool of 16g automotive wire ($6.00+-) and some plastic sleeve/shield that you can get at Harbor Freight for say $3.00..

brow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU
General question for those who tapped from either reverse light or the 7-pin hitch hit wire: do you still require the use of a diode? Thanks

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@brow

If all you are going to do it tap into JUST, the b/u wire on the 7 pin, you do not need to use a diode.

IF you plan to have your b/u lights hooked up to both the 7 pin b/u wire and an Aux wire then you should use 2 diodes in the mix or expect CanBus issues.

brow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU
@brow

If all you are going to do it tap into JUST, the b/u wire on the 7 pin, you do not need to use a diode.

IF you plan to have your b/u lights hooked up to both the 7 pin b/u wire and an Aux wire then you should use 2 diodes in the mix or expect CanBus issues.
Thanks!! I may go this route for now and do the aux switch later on. Cheers

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
General question for those who tapped from either reverse light or the 7-pin hitch hit wire: do you still require the use of a diode? Thanks
Thanks!! I may go this route for now and do the aux switch later on. Cheers
If you even think you will want both Aux and wired to 7 pin, you should just do it all at the same time. The whole project will take you less then an hour. Why would you want to wire up properly and then tear apart wiring after a month or whatever. Do it once, and do it right!

To do with the two diodes and 20' of wire, it will cost you very little more..

Especially, if trailer towing the lights on with AUX are a terrific plus for night loading and unloading, etc..

Shlice

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Hello. Wiring amateur here.

I have a JLU without tow package.

I want to mount an external light for backup under the bumper. I do not need it wired to any aux switch, I'd rather just have it come on when I'm in reverse.

What are my options?

Can I pull one of the backup lights and tap into those wires?
Do I HAVE to have it on an aux switch?
If i tap into a backup light, do I have to run it up front for power or can everything be done from the rear?

Thank you.

I see tutorials but most of you guys have a tow package or aux switches. Thanks.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
You can pull the rear passenger light off there’s a hole to run the wires in. You can tap in with a splice connector to the white brown or connecting wire, I can’t recall if it was the pink or grey one. You can trace from the reverse light also. Just pop the trim cover off the top and use the torx wrench to remove the bolt and the light just pops out.

I can try to find pics layet but if google this forum enough or read further back you should find most of what you need.
Sponsored