Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the response. It seems like the fish tape is hitting a weld inside the frame rail. There aren't any holes in the middle of the rail. I will try again this weekend.
may The Force be with you... hopefully 3rd time's the charm.
Sponsored

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone thought of, or tried, putting LEDs in the 'headlights' of the 3rd brake light relocation kit? I mean, it looks like the front of a wrangler, right? Mine hasn't shipped yet but I have the relocation kit. I need to research a good LED (or LEDs) that will fit in there and look good but I think, if it works, it would look pretty sweet.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Like a few others have done, I installed a @BajaDesigns S2 Sport, (LED Work/Scene edition). Installation was fairly easy. Getting the Aux 4 wire from the engine compartment, through the frame rail, to the rear taillight area, took the most time.

Used an existing fastener location to mount the S2.
IMG_3057.jpg

Here are the wires all bundled up under the hood, next to battery.
IMG_3063.jpg

1st Diode installed in passenger tail-light housing. Blue tap was eventually removed from O/W wire.
IMG_3065.jpg

2nd Diode in, all wiring completed.
IMG_3068.jpg

Final product.
IMG_3066.jpg

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the response. It seems like the fish tape is hitting a weld inside the frame rail. There aren't any holes in the middle of the rail. I will try again this weekend.

Did you manage to run the wiring thru the frame rail?

Sponsored

dugout68

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (ordered), 2018 Dodge Durango GT, 2015 Wrangler JKU
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@dugout68

Yes, they would be aok probably. Personally, I would just spend the $4.00 more for each and get the Roadmaster diodes. The Roadmaster diodes are proven and known to hold up to the elements, etc.. Also, I like the connectors that come with the Roadmaster offering.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
@dugout68

Yes, they would be aok probably. Personally, I would just spend the $4.00 more for each and get the Roadmaster diodes. The Roadmaster diodes are proven and known to hold up to the elements, etc.. Also, I like the connectors that come with the Roadmaster offering.
Ok, in keeping with my tradition of dragging out my dumb or super-noob questions on Sundays (more or less. . .) why are diodes needed to add lights etc to the built-in Aux switches?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@jeepixel

Diode:
"The fundamental property of a diode is its tendency to conduct electric current in only one direction."

Basically, in regard to a vehicles wiring.... you would use a diode to prevent electric current from feeding back into the vehicles system.

IF CAN bus sees something it is not used to / set-up for, current wise, it will have lets say, a pissy fit, and then you will see evic warnings, like bulb is out, etc. when a bulb is not out.

CAN bus:
A Controller Area Network (CAN bus) is a vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other in applications without a host computer.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Like a few others have done, I installed a @BajaDesigns S2 Sport, (LED Work/Scene edition). Installation was fairly easy. Getting the Aux 4 wire from the engine compartment, through the frame rail, to the rear taillight area, took the most time.

Used an existing fastener location to mount the S2.

Here are the wires all bundled up under the hood, next to battery.

1st Diode installed in passenger tail-light housing. Blue tap was eventually removed from O/W wire.

2nd Diode in, all wiring completed.

Final product.
Thanks for the write up. This is the most complete one I've seen as most people just say "yeah, add a diode" without really talking about how. That said, why two diodes?

Sponsored

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Third time was the charm. Once I got the fish tape through the frame rail, the rest was easy. I am only using one Baja Design S2 and boy are they BRIGHT! Thanks for those who contributed to this thread. Very helpful.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, in keeping with my tradition of dragging out my dumb or super-noob questions on Sundays (more or less. . .) why are diodes needed to add lights etc to the built-in Aux switches?
If you only do aux connection, then you do not need a diode. If you want to wire it to both rear brake light AND aux switch. You need a diode which is basically like a check valve for air/water flow.

Without diode, say if you turn on your aux switch then the current flows into your add-on lights but also to your brake light and it can cause confusion to the super delicate computer we have in the JL (all in theory).

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jeepixel

Diode:
"The fundamental property of a diode is its tendency to conduct electric current in only one direction."

Basically, in regard to a vehicles wiring.... you would use a diode to prevent electric current from feeding back into the vehicles system.

IF CAN bus sees something it is not used to / set-up for, current wise, it will have lets say, a pissy fit, and then you will see evic warnings, like bulb is out, etc. when a bulb is not out.

CAN bus:
A Controller Area Network (CAN bus) is a vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other in applications without a host computer.

Good stuff, thank you. I knew the basic function of those elements, but I now I have a little more fear and respect for the finicky (understatement?) nature of the CANbus. My electrical comfort zone is limited to the simpler side of residential stuff, so this is very good to learn. I would have otherwise thought the Jeep engineers setup the Aux switches to allow plug and play add-ons, kind of like an roughed in, powered junction box, where staying within the load limits and best practices would keep things happy. Thanks again.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Third time was the charm. Once I got the fish tape through the frame rail, the rest was easy. I am only using one Baja Design S2 and boy are they BRIGHT! Thanks for those who contributed to this thread. Very helpful.
Fantastic... glad you braved the cold & got it done. Time and money well spent to see back there in the dark.

capt_obvious_roof.gif

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you only do aux connection, then you do not need a diode. If you want to wire it to both rear brake light AND aux switch. You need a diode which is basically like a check valve for air/water flow.

Without diode, say if you turn on your aux switch then the current flows into your add-on lights but also to your brake light and it can cause confusion to the super delicate computer we have in the JL (all in theory).
Plex, this is helpful and I'm assuming Bilymac tied his install somehow to the existing lighting which triggered the need for the diodes. I can't quite understand that, however, since he mentioned the Aux switch connection. . . or maybe he just got power from it? That being said, I might want to add front and/or rear lights that are solely controlled by the Aux switches, so it's good to know I don't need to include a diode. Keeping things simple is very complex. I may need to print that on a t-shirt with a Jeep image. . .
Sponsored