Sponsored

Backup Lights

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
How did you tap into the reverse at the tow connector.
@Martindfletcher

To hook-up just the aftermarket b/u lights to the JL at the 7 pin, you would:

The install does not require diode use.

At the backside of the 7 pin, all the wires are exposed ... they are lightly wrapped with black covering. Just peel back the covering a bit, single out the white wire with orange trace and using a small saddle connector, (unless you want to solder ) connect the *single wire that would send power to your 2 b/u lights to that white wire with orange trace.

After the connection is made, carefully tape up the whole bundle at the backside of the 7 pin. Tape up good as the rear of the JL sees lots of dampness.

*The 2 red power wires from the b/u lights were connected together and they were connected to a short single piece of wire. Now, that single wire is connected to the white wire with orange trace at the back of the 7 pin.

In regard to each ground wire from the aftermarket b/u lights. Connect them to a single wire and then connect that single wire to ground. I myself opted not to get the ground from the bundle at the back of the 7 pin. Why would I cut into a factory bundle anymore then was necessary. So, I used a self taping screw. Drill a small hole in the rear steel cross member and insert the self tapping screw which would be used with the ring connector on your single ground wire.

---------------------
Note: I myself, did the above but also ran a power wire from my #3 Aux, in the engine compartment, and hooked it up with the above... reason was ... I also wanted the b/u's to go on when I pressed the Aux 3 button. Since I did this, I had to wire 2 diodes into the mix.

Sponsored

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks go out to @mdallas for posting his set up. I duplicated it and what an improvement the @BajaDesigns S2 Sport makes back there. I ended up running power all the way up to the under hood Aux switch connections for Aux3 after deciding to go without the reverse actuation for now. Snaking the power through the frame rail was pretty easy with a wire coat hanger, and then added a bit of wire loom to protect where the wire comes out of the rail up to the engine bay. And yes, the Jeep could use a bath.

IMG-2855.JPG

IMG-2857.JPG
I just received the same Baja light. I only plan on connecting it to my aux switches and not my reverse lights. Can you please explain where the frame rail is at? Do I need to buy a wire cover? Did you purchase extra wire to reach front of Jeep?

Thanks in advance.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@LouNYC

Lou, If you look in the passenger side front wheel well, you will see where you thread the 16G wire into the frame rail. When you get under the JL on that opening you will see the frame rail runs all the way back to the rear of the JL. There is a frame ail on each side. See pic below that shows wheel well with cable going into the opening.

You will need to go to say AutoZone or Advanced Auto, etc. and buy a roll of 16G automotive wire.

20181024_120533.jpg

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
How interested would you guy be in a kit that replaces the factory reflectors on the bumpers with a pair of flood LED lights?

It would be a complete kit designed for the JL, with wiring and everything.

I do think you would have to cut the bumper behind the reflets asd it is solid if im correct. WOuld that change anything?
I would be interested. The reverse lights are useless

Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Not on the fence about adding aftermarket backup lights. The OEM lights are a joke. Have the full LED package, so no simple bulb replacement option is available ... have to add external lights to my Jeep. However, I was on the fence about going to the trouble of wiring the lights to work with both the OEM backup lights and a separate switch. Tonight we were coming off a trail when I noticed how helpful back facing lights would be when closing a gate behind the Jeep. Yep, when backup lights are finally installed, they'll be wired to also work off a separate switch.

Knocked the hitch cover off again today cutting across some deep washes. Looks like the hitch cover will be changed out for a recovery type receiver mount. Luckily there were no backup lights hanging off the underside of the bumper. Sure would like to see a nice pair of backup lights that replace the rear reflectors in the bumper ... like soon!

Diesel550

First Name
Addam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Never before have I been blinded by a picture!
That the exact location I was thinking of installing my Whelen Nano's. Tied into auxiliary switch #4.
Hows it working out for you?

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ‘90 YJ, '22 4Runner
I just received the same Baja light. I only plan on connecting it to my aux switches and not my reverse lights. Can you please explain where the frame rail is at? Do I need to buy a wire cover? Did you purchase extra wire to reach front of Jeep?

Thanks in advance.
@LouNYC - I can thank @Rhinebeck01 for answering your questions. In addition to buying the wire to run it, I have had some wire loom lying around that I've used where the wire could use some protection against rubbing such as where you enter the frame rail as soon in the photo.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
That the exact location I was thinking of installing my Whelen Nano's. Tied into auxiliary switch #4.
Hows it working out for you?
I like where they are, hanging from the bumper... threading thru the frame rail was simple & from there it got easier. Lights up the night from the back.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to know I'm not the ONLY one who thinks the backup lights are... lacking... with the LED package. My solution is similar to others but appreciate the wiring tips from those who have blazed this trail already!

Only mounted on one side as the hook is on the left. But this way I have a spare lamp should the first one get damaged for some reason :fingerscrossed:

If I get bored I might look to mount both lamps tucked in next to the hitch... depends on how much the lopsided light look triggers an OCD episode.

Jeep Wrangler JL Backup Lights {filename}

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Opps, can't remember you talking about the string of lights on the bumper right below your tire. What are they? And, how well do they work for their intended function?
That's actually a 3rd brake light that comes with the ICI Magnum bumper. It's not connected since I already have the factory brake light relocated...I don't think I need a second (4th?) 3rd brake light. Without the light occupying the space, it's just a gap & it looks weird to me.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to know I'm not the ONLY one who thinks the backup lights are... lacking... with the LED package. My solution is similar to others but appreciate the wiring tips from those who have blazed this trail already!

Only mounted on one side as the hook is on the left. But this way I have a spare lamp should the first one get damaged for some reason :fingerscrossed:

If I get bored I might look to mount both lamps tucked in next to the hitch... depends on how much the lopsided light look triggers an OCD episode.

Jeep Wrangler JL Backup Lights {filename}
@TJ2018

Honest opinion... to be blunt. .....
Looks way lopsided to me with only one. No way, I could not deal with that..

Also, if you do ever tow a trailer, the draw bar / trailer will block light from getting to your left rear.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Honest opinion... to be blunt. .....
Looks way lopsided to me with only one. No way, I could not deal with that..
Also, if you do ever tow a trailer, the draw bar / trailer will block light from getting to your left rear.
Well I could leave it like that to annoy the heck out of people following me... keep 'em from tailgating... LOL

Honest bluntness appreciated. Never had any use for any other kind of feedback.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I can't mount lights below the bumper as I tear the wiring harness off the hitch when I go out riding and fill the receiver with mud.

They wouldn't last long.

So looking for other options.

Haven't found the sweet one yet, but I will.
Sponsored