Backup Lights

mdallas

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M50i, BMW X5 40i, JLU Sahara
So I'm planning on adding the Ignite lights for reverse. My plan is to tap into the White with orange stripe wire out of the trailer wiring for power to both lights (with a diode after the tap). I also plan to run a wire from the Aux switch into the power of the lights (with diode). Does anyone see any issue with this? Has anyone tried this setup before?
I am going to power the F111 fuse with the AUX 3 switch. Maybe a diode there to be on the safe side.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
So I'm planning on adding the Ignite lights for reverse. My plan is to tap into the White with orange stripe wire out of the trailer wiring for power to both lights (with a diode after the tap). I also plan to run a wire from the Aux switch into the power of the lights (with diode). Does anyone see any issue with this? Has anyone tried this setup before?
As long as you use 2 diodes in that mix like you say, all will lets say play together without problem. Suggest you read this thread from page one until this last page. Yes, myself and other's have done this install. For the record, I have had no Can Bus issues, probably because of using two diodes in the mix.

What are you plans for grounding those Ignite's? You can pick up (tap) a ground wire in the same bundle as the white wire with orange trace. I did not want to compromise a second wire in the bundle so used a self tapping screw in the rear tow cross member and used that for a ground versus tapping into the ground on the bundle.

Let us know when all is done....

ar15rifle

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 2014 Audi A4. 2015 Fiat 500C. 1970 Ford F250
Thanks for the tips. I've read the thread a few times I just wasn't quite sure as I'm not an electrical person I prefer to research allot and double check everything, hence the specific post. My brain doesn't always seem to work as everyone else's so I'm a bit cautious with a vehicle we plan to keep for retirement. As far as grounds I plan to use self tapping screws into the tow cross member as suggested (I'll solder/crimp the ground wires together and then solder/crimp a ring onto the ground wires that I'll attach to the screw).

They work with the Aux switch, but I'll have to wait until the wife is home to test the reverse, but overall I think it's good. Here's how the finished product looks:

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

Last edited:

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ‘90 YJ, '22 4Runner
Thanks go out to @mdallas for posting his set up. I duplicated it and what an improvement the @BajaDesigns S2 Sport makes back there. I ended up running power all the way up to the under hood Aux switch connections for Aux3 after deciding to go without the reverse actuation for now. Snaking the power through the frame rail was pretty easy with a wire coat hanger, and then added a bit of wire loom to protect where the wire comes out of the rail up to the engine bay. And yes, the Jeep could use a bath.

IMG-2855.JPG

IMG-2857.JPG

M1kefries

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My take on the rigid ignite light. Only wanted it for backup so just grafted the flush mount into a receiver cover and tied the wires into the trailer light plug with a weatherpak connector. When it gets dark we’ll see how much difference it makes.

530D9637-0D9C-47EC-9A50-2777E27D8AE6.jpeg

Sponsored

dugout68

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (ordered), 2018 Dodge Durango GT, 2015 Wrangler JKU
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase

dugout68

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (ordered), 2018 Dodge Durango GT, 2015 Wrangler JKU
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting. I am going to order a pair of these. Does anyone on here have them mounted? I do not have the tow package and want to run them to aux switches.

What is the best way to run then to front of car while having wires protected?
I'm planning to attach to aux/reverse lights in tow package, maybe someone else can help.

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

InspiredEngineering

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL, 2013 JKU on 60's, 1997 TJ on D60s
How interested would you guy be in a kit that replaces the factory reflectors on the bumpers with a pair of flood LED lights?

It would be a complete kit designed for the JL, with wiring and everything.

I do think you would have to cut the bumper behind the reflets asd it is solid if im correct. WOuld that change anything?

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
How interested would you guy be in a kit that replaces the factory reflectors on the bumpers with a pair of flood LED lights?

I do think you would have to cut the bumper behind the reflets asd it is solid if im correct. WOuld that change anything?
Interested, but what are we talking about as far as cutting the bumper out? Taking it off and having it Torched or drilled and ground down? That is a lot of work.

Got to have something as far as a good light source as the stock ones are trash.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI

Very interested. Plastic bumper should be way to cut.

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Has anyone tried adding a brighter LED diode in place of the factory one?
Sponsored