Sponsored

Backup Lights

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Wired to Aux 3. Makes a yuuuge difference while backing in a partially-lit night-time parking lot.
WIN_20180620_10_17_56_Pro.jpg
WIN_20180620_10_18_03_Pro.jpg
Looks good!

Yes, the aftermarket LED offerings do light things up..

I'd also consider wiring it so they also just come on automatically with the backup lights too. So easy to do this. A couple of diodes and 15 min. more effort and it's done.

IF you are not into soldering diodes into the two lines as needed, you can get 2 plug and play diodes instead. I have ordered and will be using the ROADMASTER 690 Single Park Light Diode $11.00+- offering. Yes, more pricey then solder in diodes but probably more hardy, easier to install and yes, will do the job.
canvas.png

My 2dr. with the Rigid LED's on back..
rigid-lites.jpg
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@flyairam

Have you used your rear LED's at night yet.. Major, major difference in what the backup camera displays, thanks to the increased lighting.

Brake lights seem to bring a red cast to the night time backup screen...

With the increased lighting that issue is history. Backup camera viewing is now terrific with the increased lighting.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Luco

Ok, all done... the diodes (2) are wired in. Works well. Thanks for your input and for motivating me, Luke!

Last edited:

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
"Luco": Where did you find the best location to tap into the reverse light wiring?

SONofHELGI

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Something that sounds technical, but it's not.
Here is the method I used to hookup my reverse auxiliary lights. (Note, I say the reverse light is white with a light brown stripe, some say it's an orange stripe.)

With this setup I can manually turn on the rear lights if needed, or they function off of the reverse lights.

I purchased the wire harness from Amazon, the MICTUNING MIC-B1002 $9.99, it made the install a lot easier. If you get this wiring harness, the blue wire that goes to the switch is the one you connect to the reverse light wire (White with Light-Brown/Orange stripe)

Reverse Lights.jpg

Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Here is the method I used to hookup my reverse auxiliary lights. (Note, I say the reverse light is white with a light brown stripe, some say it's an orange stripe.)

With this setup I can manually turn on the rear lights if needed, or they function off of the reverse lights.

I purchased the wire harness from Amazon, the MICTUNING MIC-B1002 $9.99, it made the install a lot easier. If you get this wiring harness, the blue wire that goes to the switch is the one you connect to the reverse light wire (White with Light-Brown/Orange stripe)

Reverse Lights.jpg
Is there any backfeed into the reverse light when you turn the switch on? Or the switch when the reverse lights are on? Did you install a diode?

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Hella Yella Rubicon
According to a website I found, I plan to splice into the trailer tow group:

Pin Information
Cav Circuit Gauge Color Function
A L111 1.0 WH/OG TRAILER TOW BACKUP LAMP FEED
B Z916 2.0 BK GROUND
C B40 2.0 DG ELECTRIC BRAKE FEED
D L674 1.0 GN RIGHT REAR STOP/TURN SIGNAL FEED
E A100 2.0 RD/VT FUSED B(+)
F L76 1.0 WH/BN TRAILER TOW RELAY OUTPUT
G L673 1.0 YE LEFT REAR STOP/TURN SIGNAL FEED

Based on this, sounds like splicing into the white/orange wire will get you the reverse lights only.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@imapseudonym

YES, with 7 pin Tow connector on a JL, white wire with a orange trace is backup lights only.

I tapped into this wire when I installed my Rigid b/u lights.

SONofHELGI

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Is there any backfeed into the reverse light when you turn the switch on? Or the switch when the reverse lights are on? Did you install a diode?
I only get backfeed with the left reverse light (the one I tapped into). I've run numerous tests and there are no issues with it. I might install a diode at some point in the splice line, but for now I'm OK with the setup.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I only get backfeed with the left reverse light (the one I tapped into). I've run numerous tests and there are no issues with it. I might install a diode at some point in the splice line, but for now I'm OK with the setup.
When I first saw your post, I was impressed with the diagram, etc.. Couldn't understand why you did not include a diode(s) in the set-up.

I'd also say diode install is a must or do expect hiccups... If one does not want to solder in a diode you can go with the splice in as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Sponsored

SONofHELGI

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've run numerous experiments and so far, the feedback hasn't caused a single glitch. I am soldering a diode in, just in case. The only feedback is going to be when the switch is used and that's going to be the rarity instead of the norm. There is obviously internal diodes because when the switch is turned on, only the reverse light spliced into lights up. (Corrected wiring diagram below)

Reverse Lights2.jpg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@SONofHELGI

I hear ya.... I look at it as, that there is a chance of a hiccup/ a glitch if a diode(s) is not included in the mix. CAN BUS is lets say fickled. Ya never know, as one time you do get a hiccup and sometimes you don't. It is really easy to add a diode(s) to the mix. I no longer solder so, I just use a splice in diode.

Yes, splice in's are say $11 and solder in's are $1.00+ but.......... 8-)

I used 2 splice in diodes when I wired in my Rigid b/u's into the tow wiring. I use the Aux switch to activate and it also works with stock b/u lights.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I'm interested in rear-facing lights...but has anyone mounted to an aftermarket steel bumper? I have a pair of Rigid surface mounts in mind, but they don't appear to be designed to mount onto steel... I see mentions of drilling small holes. I've looked at brackets, but I'm not seeing many options. I ran into a thread with hinge-mounted lights, but that's not what I'm looking for since I'd want them with the top removed. Any suggestions?

krazyboi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2.0L
I'm interested in rear-facing lights...but has anyone mounted to an aftermarket steel bumper? I have a pair of Rigid surface mounts in mind, but they don't appear to be designed to mount onto steel... I see mentions of drilling small holes. I've looked at brackets, but I'm not seeing many options. I ran into a thread with hinge-mounted lights, but that's not what I'm looking for since I'd want them with the top removed. Any suggestions?
I just installed a couple of rear-facing lights onto the factory steel bumper. I'm not too sure about aftermarket steel bumpers but installing onto the factory steel bumper was quite easy. I used these lights, which come with mounts:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IY3YLCI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before I installed these, I would barely be able to see anything through the camera while in reverse. There is a huge difference now that it's installed.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
$14 is a long road away from the $130 Rigids I like! Can you share a picture of your setup?

I guess the factory steel bumper had the holes for which this type of light could be installed... I have the plastic, but I'm replacing it with steel, and it doesn't have the installation holes. I'm trying to figure out a way to mount lights.
Sponsored