Sponsored

AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks for replying.
I’ll be continuing looking for 6 wires in passenger’s footwell.
For the engine bay, I’m pretty sure that’s the only one I can find around the battery. However it only has 3 wires. The switch is from the factory. Is it possible they lost one during assembling in factory?
@COKENOGOOD

Is the steering wheel on your JL on left or right side..

Never heard anyone here post or any one I have spoken to personally say they only found 3 wires when they unwrapped the engine compartment Aux bundle.. Of course, anything is possible.. You are in Australia.... could that make a difference... I really do not know.

This thread has lots of pics and such in regard to the Aux bundles:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...switches-configuration-installation-diy.1477/
Sponsored

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
@COKENOGOOD

Is the steering wheel on your JL on left or right side..

Never heard anyone here post or any one I have spoken to personally say they only found 3 wires when they unwrapped the engine compartment Aux bundle.. Of course, anything is possible.. You are in Australia.... could that make a difference... I really do not know.
Ye, I’m in Australia. So on right side. The battery is on the left side.
I do have 4 switches, the lights are illuminated after I pressed buttons.
Thanks any way.
I will look closer follow the wires and find out.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Ye, I’m in Australia. So on right side. The battery is on the left side.
I do have 4 switches, the lights are illuminated after I pressed buttons.
Thanks any way.
I will look closer follow the wires and find out.
Come back and post when you get it done..

tdubs

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Just another tip... My aux switch wires were not in the typical location where everyone's pictures show.

I did eventually find my wires, but they were on the inside of the passenger footwell under carpeting near the infotainment system/shifter/center stack (opposite side of everyone else which are nearest the door).

Pulling the carpet from the passenger footwell and looking everywhere in there, they should be there somewhere.

Sponsored

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Hi all,
I have found 4 wires under the hood next to the battery.
The 4th one was stuck deep inside, not wrapped with other three. I pulled the wires and searched through aux wires and found it..
i mounted the single tank arb air compressor under the hood (removed the engine cover, used the exiting bracket). Looks good so far.

will keep looking on 6 wires inside. I believe I should be able to find them..

chaney44145

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JL
Hello All:

I was able to find the 4 wires in the engine compartment. I hope these new photos help others.
Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification IMG-0760
Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification IMG-0761

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
So not to be "that guy", but we've made it 4 pages and nobody has mentioned it.
The color/descriptions on the first post don't match.

Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification IMG-0761

Notice in the photo it shows Aux 3 Pink with orange stripe, yet the text associated to the same post says Ignition Accessory is Pink with orange stripe. I color coded my circles with orange/pink to match the wire descriptions. Notice the conflict.

So I theorize, based on deductive reasoning, that the correct description is the text, not the photo. If you notice Aux 1, 2 and 4 all have a pink stripes. It then makes sense to assume Aux 3 would also be marked with a pink stripe.

That said, I noticed this because I'm going to wire up some lights and was planning on using Aux 3 to control them. As a result I was paying closer attention to that particular wire description. I'll post again later to verify which wire is correct, but I'm pretty sure it's the orange with pink stripe. Anyone able to verify that?
So I read through this whole thread in preparation and nobody outright answered this question and cleared the discrepancy. I will confirm that I used a grounded testing probe and the TEXT is correct, the ignition is the PINK with Orange stripe. I wired up my dashcam and all is working as it should.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
Oh and everybody, I cannot be the only person on here who removed that darn scuff panel kick plate and broke one of those white retainer clips. Unfortunately, my local dealer as well as allmoparparts confirmed that I cannot buy separately and have to buy the whole kick panel (silly). It is a square with tabs that hold it in place with an accepting central open area. So for those who broke one, how did you remedy and what other generic clips work? None of the generic ones I have in my kit or see in amazon has this sort of set up.
Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_24dd

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Oh and everybody, I cannot be the only person on here who removed that darn scuff panel kick plate and broke one of those white retainer clips. Unfortunately, my local dealer as well as allmoparparts confirmed that I cannot buy separately and have to buy the whole kick panel (silly). It is a square with tabs that hold it in place with an accepting central open area. So for those who broke one, how did you remedy and what other generic clips work? None of the generic ones I have in my kit or see in amazon has this sort of set up.
Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_24dd
I didn’t break mine, but I’d try Velcro if the mating surfaces are big enough.

Sponsored

enjynlf

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Had the same question. Wiring in several sets of Baja Designs LED lights. I inquired if I needed the wire harnesses for them with fuses and relays. Per Baja Designs tech department if I am using the OEM installed aux switch I do not need their harness as the 4 power leads are already fused and have specified AMP ratings. Basically Jeep has preinstalled 4 wiring harnesses for us with fuses and relays. From the tech guys at Baja Designs you can run a hot and neg from the light direct to the aux switch you want and the ground lug.

enjynlf

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Great to see the wiring is exactly what I thought... just got a small BD light bar and plan to wire it tomorrow.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
2021 JLR 6 speed manual
I have hooked several things up to my switches and everything went well up to a point
i found the connectors under the hood and used Aux 3 for some fog lights, Aux 4 for the solenoid on my Warn winch.
I’m now hooking up my GMRS radio and ran into something. First, the bundle was stashed over on the side of the transmission tunnel. No problem. I was going to use the orange/pink ignition switched wire to power the radio. I tested the wire and never got voltage. Tried engine off, engine running, no voltage.
I used the Aux 1 wire. Overkill for circuit size but the radio has its own fuse. I never checked the computer to see if there is a “circuit off” option, I may do that.
this aux switch option is great, all auto makers should have this. How many times have I had to build a circuit and mount a switch somewhere? I’ve lost count.

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
So I read through this whole thread in preparation and nobody outright answered this question and cleared the discrepancy. I will confirm that I used a grounded testing probe and the TEXT is correct, the ignition is the PINK with Orange stripe. I wired up my dashcam and all is working as it should.
Yes thank you!

Are the black ends butt connectors or do I have to cut and splice into the wires in this bundle. Literally doing it now.

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L Turbo Diesel Rubicon
Yes thank you!

Are the black ends butt connectors or do I have to cut and splice into the wires in this bundle. Literally doing it now.
You need to cut the black end off
Sponsored