Sponsored

Dealer installed AUX switches, broke some wiring

Doubleaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
had the dealer install the Auxiliary switches in my Rubicon today. Later tonight, checked the wiring and it looks like the tech broke some wires behind the glove box. Ran multiple new wires thru the firewall grommet and into the engine compartment. One is spliced into the main battery sensor module on the positive battery terminal. Another set of wires are spliced into a wiring harness on the drivers side of the engine. The passengers side scuff trim by the floor has multiple broken trim clips. Also, they wired the main harness into the fuse box terminals, rather than directly to the battery as the instructions call for.

Also found moisture around the firewall grommet. They cut a pretty big hole to pass the wiring thru and did not seal it up.

Any advice?

I am concerned that my $50k brand new rubicon with only 1200 miles on it is now in a non standard wiring configuration. Worried about what happens if I have wiring problems after the warranty. They did a pretty crappy job and worried about long term issues.

Plan to go back to the dealer in the morning. Is replacing the main wiring a bit excessive, or is this reasonable?

Thoughts???
Sponsored

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
That sucks. I cringe every time I take a vehicle in for service nowadays. I've been fortunate......knock on wood.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
That's incredibly unfortunate... and poor craftsmanship. I had the same work done about a year ago & it was the first auxiliary kit install the dealer tech had done (new dealership). When he was done, he showed me everything he had done before he put Humpty Dumpty back together again, from inside the dash to under the hood. It was expert work. Another owner who lives close to me went to the same dealer for the same work, with a different technician.

To add insult to injury, you may have to stick with the same (seemingly unqualified or lazy) technician to re-do the work, or else pay labor to another party, and possibly another flash. Hopefully you took pictures (any to share here?). I don't know if replacing the main wiring is a bit much, but that may depend upon how bad the damage is. Hopefully they can patch this up for you.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
NOTHING about the AUX Switch kit calls for Splicing. Its Plug n Play and you should only run 1 bundle of wires through the Firewall. Its actually a very easy install to do and the fact that they messed it up shows how crappy they are at following instructions.

OP
OP

Doubleaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
NOTHING about the AUX Switch kit calls for Splicing. Its Plug n Play and you should only run 1 bundle of wires through the Firewall. Its actually a very easy install to do and the fact that they messed it up shows how crappy they are at following instructions.
I suspect the dealer nicked some wires while pulling the wire bundle thru the firewall.
Sponsored