DHW

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Has anyone had a situation where you have wired multiple lights, or whatever else, to the same OEM aux switch at both locations, under the hood and under the passenger dash?

Here is what I'm looking to do: Currently I have two Rigid DSS's mounted over my spare in the back of the Jeep, which are powered by AUX 4. I ran the wiring for these through the tailgate and through the inside of the Jeep up to the AUX connections under the passenger dash. I just got a Westin WJ2 rear bumper and will be installing two Rigid D-Series Floods and two Westin rock lights in the bumper. I want all 6 rear lights tied into one AUX switch. My plan is to wire the D-Series and rock lights together and then either 1) wire those into the already existing wiring for the DSSs or 2) run new wiring underneath the Jeep all the way to the AUX connections under the hood.

I know that many lights will require AUX 1 or 2, so in clarifying my question, if I leave the DSS's wired to AUX 2 under the dash, can I wire the D-Series and rock lights to the AUX 2 connection under the hood and have AUX 2 turn on all 6 lights?

My reasoning is that I don't think I can wire the D-Series/rock lights to the DSS's wiring without there being exposed wires somewhere in the back.

Advertisement

Last edited:
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
SO I went ahead and tried this, wiring lights to both the Aux 2 connection under the dash and under the hood, flipped the switch and the ENTIRE JEEP EXPLODED! Luckily I had just returned from LARPing and was wearing a full medieval suit of armor, thus saving my life!

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2-door Rubicon, 15 Renegade, 06 GC, 67 Jeep M725, 54 Willys SW (WIP)
Occupation
W8BWD
Whew. I'm glad you survived.

I don't know how to answer your question. AUX1 and 2 are 40 AMP rated and I don't think it would matter if you were using only 1 of the wires (inside vs outside) or both. I think there is 40 AMPs to either one or both combined.

My advice would be to NOT hook all of the lights directly to the AUX1 or 2 wires. You need to know the amperage of each light and add them together to see if they add up to less than 20 AMPs. I say 20 AMPs because when you turn an electrical appliance on, it draws up to twice the amperage that it needs to run, on start up, So if your lights are 5 AMPs each, when you turn them on, you will pull up to 60 AMPS initially and overload it blowing the fuse.

Does that answer your question?

OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Whew. I'm glad you survived.

I don't know how to answer your question. AUX1 and 2 are 40 AMP rated and I don't think it would matter if you were using only 1 of the wires (inside vs outside) or both. I think there is 40 AMPs to either one or both combined.

My advice would be to NOT hook all of the lights directly to the AUX1 or 2 wires. You need to know the amperage of each light and add them together to see if they add up to less than 20 AMPs. I say 20 AMPs because when you turn an electrical appliance on, it draws up to twice the amperage that it needs to run, on start up, So if your lights are 5 AMPs each, when you turn them on, you will pull up to 60 AMPS initially and overload it blowing the fuse.

Does that answer your question?
Ha, thanks. Just having a bit of fun since I didn't get any responses.

And yes, I already thought of exactly what you stated, except I didn't know the part about drawing twice the amperage on startup. Does that also apply to LED lighting?

The total amperage for all six lights in the rear is 13.5. So double that you have 27 amps.

However, I've had 4 DSSs hooked into AUX 1 for months, and the total amperage for those 4 lights is 17 amps. Double that and you have 34 amps, but I've never had any issues at all with those lights. That's why I was wondering if doubled amperage on startup does not apply to LED lighting.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2-door Rubicon, 15 Renegade, 06 GC, 67 Jeep M725, 54 Willys SW (WIP)
Occupation
W8BWD
Ha, thanks. Just having a bit of fun since I didn't get any responses.

And yes, I already thought of exactly what you stated, except I didn't know the part about drawing twice the amperage on startup. Does that also apply to LED lighting?

The total amperage for all six lights in the rear is 13.5. So double that you have 27 amps.

However, I've had 4 DSSs hooked into AUX 1 for months, and the total amperage for those 4 lights is 17 amps. Double that and you have 34 amps, but I've never had any issues at all with those lights. That's why I was wondering if doubled amperage on startup does not apply to LED lighting.
I don't know how much of an increased amperage there is with LEDs when turned on. It seems logical that their draw is substantially less.

If it were me, I'd probably use the AUX switch to activate a relay to power the lights.

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
I wouldn't worry about your load being half. More like 3/4 of the rating. Those rating are based on continuous load. Fuses and relays can take quite a bit more than their continuous rating to blow.

Read the below info for a MUCH better explanation than I can give.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/fuses-guide-uses.html

Reactions: DHW

Advertisement

Superchips Flashcal Programmer out for JL Wrangler

Advertisement