Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

The tank is too damn small. I’m wanting additional fuel capacity on my 2dr JLR 3.6L w/eTorque. Wanting know what are my options?
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I've looked and there is no aux tanks for the 2dr, only 4dr. So that leaves you with jerry cans, rotopax, etc.

Titan makes a 12 gal tank that attaches behind the spare which you siphon into your main tank but I'm wary of it. It weighs 100lbs full and they have a very specific disclaimer about it being for temporary use only and the owner being responsible for insuring the mounting point can handle the weight. They know their full tank alone exceeds maximum recommended weight for a stock tailgate even if you delete the spare tire. You need major reinforcement to mount both the tank and spare.

https://titanfueltanks.com/4040487

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Probably an incredibly bad idea, but a muffler delete (with early dump) would make for an interesting storage location for a small auxiliary tank or some stacked RotopaX.

Someone here earlier today was wondering what that newly found space could be used for and as someone that owned a Pinto as their first car (!), I can tell you that an exploding fuel tank was one of very few problems I didn't have.

But short of having a true aux tank, which would likely only fit in the open space that's uncomfortably close to the exhaust pipe, the next best solution would probably be a TrailRax dual RotopaX side carrier (LINK) if you have a hardtop, then maybe followed by a hinge-mount tailgate adapter (LINK or LINK), and lastly one of the numerous spare tire mount systems (which seems like a pia when rotating tires). There's also the front side mount carriers if you don't mind having some gasoline very close to yourself or your passenger.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
There were aux tanks for the 2 door JK I believe, so only a matter of time until someone makes one for the JL. 2 door JL parts have come out incredibly slowly though. There's a lot of space if you delete the muffler (or run a Borla or something, I hate the way a straight delete sounds) and the non-etorque models have a big space good enough for 4-6 gallons in between the frame rails behind the Tcase.

I've been running a trailrax system with a 4 gallon rotopax on mine for long excursions. Brings the fuel capacity up to the 4 door capacity at least. Figure I can run one on the other side if I ever need more.
Jeep Wrangler JL Aux fuel options for 2dr? EE1D6085-7131-4125-814A-C60BFB941643_1_105_c

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
There were aux tanks for the 2 door JK I believe, so only a matter of time until someone makes one for the JL. 2 door JL parts have come out incredibly slowly though. There's a lot of space if you delete the muffler (or run a Borla or something, I hate the way a straight delete sounds) and the non-etorque models have a big space good enough for 4-6 gallons in between the frame rails behind the Tcase.

I've been running a trailrax system with a 4 gallon rotopax on mine for long excursions. Brings the fuel capacity up to the 4 door capacity at least. Figure I can run one on the other side if I ever need more.
Jeep Wrangler JL Aux fuel options for 2dr? EE1D6085-7131-4125-814A-C60BFB941643_1_105_c
We are over 5 years into model release, I wouldn't get my hopes up on it "only being a matter of time".

I think custom fab is going to be the primary option for the JL.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR

My OCD would make me run them on both sides, lol.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We are over 5 years into model release, I wouldn't get my hopes up on it "only being a matter of time".

I think custom fab is going to be the primary option for the JL.

I mean, seeing as you own a 4 door you probably haven't paid attention to the slow but steady of 2 door JL products coming to market. Armorlite is just about to release the 2 door JL full flooring replacement, for example. We're still gaining momentum on the 2 door side, the market gap between JL/JLU is large but with every year there's a bigger potential customer base. Hell, people are still making new shit for TJs. Who knows if this will translate into more niche options like aux tanks, but ones that mount behind the rear axle where the muffler sits are likely universal like this one already out for both JL and JLU:
https://motobilt.com/products/rear-fuel-tank-skid-for-jeep-jlu

I think there's a market for a half size variant of this as this one is 21 gallons, sits pretty low and requires you to delete the rear swaybar. I'd think more than a few people would be interested in an 8-10 gallon slim version that tucks up nicely.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My OCD would make me run them on both sides, lol.

Best thing about it is you can't see both sides at the same time, so nobody can really tell you're running just one. That's how I see it at least, haha. Can't convince myself to spend the $500 on the other side just yet, although if I do it's likely to be water tanks rather than fuel.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I think there's a market for a half size variant of this as this one is 21 gallons, sits pretty low and requires you to delete the rear swaybar. I'd think more than a few people would be interested in an 8-10 gallon slim version that tucks up nicely.
Would surely be a market for it, that really is the only true pisser w/ the 2dr :( That puny 17 gallon tank when the 4dr gets 21 gallon, I mean yeah, we get a bit better mpg but damn sure not 4 gallons better :(

Count me in!
Sponsored