Sponsored

What is the usable fuel amount on the 2dr JL?

wsly14

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Clubs

I’ve read that the two door JL holds 17.4 gallons of gas. I sometimes wait until after the fuel gauge no longer shows any fuel at all, it goes from showing some yellow at the bottom of the gauge to completely empty. This is after the range reads low. At this point, the Jeep still takes less than 16 gallons of fuel.
Sponsored

Reactions: AFD
OP
OP

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
I pushed it the other day quite a ways after the yellow came on. I knew I was not far from CHEAP gas (BJ's similar to COSTCO, SAM'S) at BJs. I am buying gas at $3 a gallon and Sam has it at $3.10 and the street price is in the $4.2X or more!. I was getting 15.9 per gal coming off I 75 at 73 mph on cruise. I rolled into BJs and red light which comes after the yellow..

Not sure why but Jeep has always cheated us on SWB fas tank capacity. Some of my older Jeeps had the tank under the drivers seat and IIRC it was 12 gal!!!!!

Good too know there is a Red light AFTER the Yellow light! I have not seen that yet.

Would you know how many gallons it took that time?

I know after the yellow for a little while it says you have xx miles left, but then it goes to zero.

The most I have put in has been 15.224 gallons the yellow on and it said there was zero miles to go before I drove the 7 miles to the gas station.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Good too know there is a Red light AFTER the Yellow light! I have not seen that yet.

Would you know how many gallons it took that time?

I know after the yellow for a little while it says you have xx miles left, but then it goes to zero.

The most I have put in has been 15.224 gallons the yellow on and it said there was zero miles to go before I drove the 7 miles to the gas station.
IIRC it was about 17, I was running on fumes I am sure...

Bobby Hank

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Wrangler Rubicon X 2D
Occupation
Educator
Don't have access to my specs, but do I recall seeing/reading that the RubiX has 2 extra gallons of tank space?
I have a lot of Jeep dreams, so it could be from that. Seriously, I do. With the '13 Rubi they were almost all catastrophic break down dreams, engine dying at red light (hence my "PTSD" level fear of the Start/Stop), or horrible leaks in rain at speed. The dreams now with the '24RubiX are theft, vandalism, and sinking it (thanks to a pair of threads on here, thanks fellas...).

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
IIRC it was about 17, I was running on fumes I am sure...
That's impressive! I've done 31 fill-ups since I've bought mine over a year ago and always try to push it close to the second warning (without dipping into the reserve too much).

This usually involves waiting until the first "low fuel" reminder comes on and then driving another 20 miles, which is when the second warning comes on, which is usually around 14 to 15 gallons. Most I've pushed it so far was 15.7 gallons and iirc, that's when the gauge reads completely empty and turns red, even though there's still almost 2 gallons left.

And I know the fuel pump is cooled by the gasoline, but having a 2-gallon reserve on a 17.5-gallon tank is a little too conservative imo. Think the first reminder should come on with 3 gallons until true empty, second with 2 gallons left, and red warning with 1 gallon left as the reserve. Having 4 gallons left at the first warning/reminder is nearly 25% of total fuel remaining (80 to 100-mile range left).

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
That's impressive! I've done 31 fill-ups since I've bought mine over a year ago and always try to push it close to the second warning (without dipping into the reserve too much).

This usually involves waiting until the first "low fuel" reminder comes on and then driving another 20 miles, which is when the second warning comes on, which is usually around 14 to 15 gallons. Most I've pushed it so far was 15.7 gallons and iirc, that's when the gauge reads completely empty and turns red, even though there's still almost 2 gallons left.

And I know the fuel pump is cooled by the gasoline, but having a 2-gallon reserve on a 17.5-gallon tank is a little too conservative imo. Think the first reminder should come on with 3 gallons until true empty, second with 2 gallons left, and red warning with 1 gallon left as the reserve. Having 4 gallons left at the first warning/reminder is nearly 25% of total fuel remaining (80 to 100-mile range left).
CONCUR with your thinking...Jeep has always been niggardly with fuel capacity. If you make trips in your Jeep often you are spending a LOT of time filling your tank.

My F 450 truck has an advertised 48-gallon tank and I managed to get 50.1 gals in it. Its a big plastic tank and what happened was the tank side expanded.

I don't know if Jeep is still using metal tanks or has gone to plastic????

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

Most I've ever put in the tank was 16.3 gallons, and that was after 340 miles. The goofy graphical fuel gauge was deep in the red with zero miles remaining in the display.

Bobby Hank

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Wrangler Rubicon X 2D
Occupation
Educator
My build sheet says 17.5 gallons. 2024 2D Wrangler Rubicon X. Based on range when fuel light comes on, this is accurate.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I hate that I constantly am looking at ways/mods to carry more fuel in my 2dr. What were they thinking? Low mpg car with small tank... WTF!

If someone comes up with an aftermarket replacement tank that holds 50% more, I will seriously consider it.

Sponsored

BenDiesel

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep wrangler 2 door 6MT soft top
Occupation
rocket scientist
Clubs

I hate that I constantly am looking at ways/mods to carry more fuel in my 2dr. What were they thinking? Low mpg car with small tank... WTF!

If someone comes up with an aftermarket replacement tank that holds 50% more, I will seriously consider it.
i bet if you were willing to loose your under floor storage and a muffler relocation/delete you could get a fuel cell that holds 7-10 gallons then wire up a transfer pump to the main tank.....

OP
OP

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
I think the tank got smaller due to the relocation of the aux battery.

Has anyone seen a muffler relocation allowing for an aux rear tank? I have not.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
All,

Please note that the 'Distance-To-Empty' or 'Range' value is just an estimate based on current 'average' mileage. Granted this is typically a weighted average biased more on the last 50 miles driven, but nonetheless still an average. It has no way to really predict if your fuel economy will improve or degrade until empty. So it's nothing more than a 'Lie-o-Meter' even on flat straight terrain.

However, I've never been able to put more than 13.25 gallons in my 2019 JL 2 door 3.6L Auto when the yellow 'Low Fuel' warning light has come on. According to the 2019 Owner's Manual, that's 4.25 gallons of reserve capacity. Nearly 25% of the tank's overall capacity when the warning light comes on.

I routinely get 23 mpg in the city so that's just shy of a 100 mile reserve (wow)! I'm never panicked about finding a station with that type of reserve. However, I do believe that the vehicle's calibrators have taken the fuel pump cooling into account. So they likely protect for leaving an absolute minimum of 2 gallons in the tank to keep the pump cool. Therefore taking that into account that leaves just a 50 mile reserve before dipping into that minimal amount.

I kind of like having a 100 mile reserve, so I've invested in the Trailrax side rail mounts with two 2 gallon Rotopax tanks for all off-road adventures.

I'm confident in the 17.5 gallon capacity spec, and I'm certainly not inclined to destructively test overheating my fuel pump just to intentionally run out of fuel. Like any pilot, that's not something I care to experiment with. I'll have faith that the engineers have put some thought behind the threshold of when the warning light turns on.

Do I wish I have more than a 350-400 mile range? Yes of course. But EV adopters are getting nowhere near that. I pity those poor schmucks especially as their batteries degrade. I suppose they can haul a gas generator in their trunk with a five gallon can in order to get longer range. At least I won't have to run some generator for several hours in order to continue on.

So who am I to complain?

Best regards, safe travels, happy Jeeping.
Jay

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT

Just ain't a lot of room under there, especially considering the safety and the ground clearance unfortunately.
Hell, even the 4xe put the batteries inside under the backseat cause they just didn't have much room underneath without completely re-engineering the entire underbelly of the unlimited.

Edit: That being said, I would definitely also consider a larger fuel tank, if somehow properly done.
Sponsored

Reactions: AFD