Sponsored

Anyone using Rough Country Diff Skid Plate?

Bushfam5

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I know there are many skids out there but I have a RC budget. I have a JLU and will do mild to moderate off roading in the desert (Fire roads and washes with rocks).

Are they decent?

Thanks
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I have a pair of ARB covers awaiting installation. Looks like these could be added to about any cover to provide some protection for that drain bolt. Iā€™ve already backed out the filler bolt a bit, ground it down about 1/8ā€ and screwed it back in...which recessed the bolt a bit.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have a pair of ARB covers awaiting installation. Looks like these could be added to about any cover to provide some protection for that drain bolt. Iā€™ve already backed out the filler bolt a bit, ground it down about 1/8ā€ and screwed it back in...which recessed the bolt a bit.
The thicker mounting flange of the ARB diff covers would cause the drain plug hole in that Maximus-3 plate to not line up with the drain plug. Also, the ARB has recessed pockets for its mounting bolt heads.

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I know there are many skids out there but I have a RC budget. I have a JLU and will do mild to moderate off roading in the desert (Fire roads and washes with rocks).

Are they decent?

Thanks
I hear ya, I'm in the same category! I bought one of those skids for my M186 front diff. I have a 2-door Sport and do some occasional wheeling and wanted to protect the drainplug and front of the diff from getting banged up on an obstacle. It's a great design and very budget-friendly. I installed mine in September. I haven't looked underneath to see how the paint is holding up but the metal is solid, it's a well-built piece. I can always repaint if it starts looking rusty.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
The thicker mounting flange of the ARB diff covers would cause the drain plug hole in that Maximus-3 plate to not line up with the drain plug. Also, the ARB has recessed pockets for its mounting bolt heads.
Iā€™ve not looked but that would certainly prevent the installation of the Maximus skid....

ronrodriguez114

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport

Are they decent?

Thanks
I run one of these for my front diff. It's thick, looks like it covers all the important spots. I'd run one for the back but they don't make an M220. I haven't hit anything yet.. but I'd expect it to hold up.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Seems like a great bang for your buck, has thick plate steel, covers the areas that need covering and still allows oil drain access. Sounds like a win in my book, going to order a set soon!

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
They work as they should. I bought mine in a pinch threw them on, have done some crazy rock crawlin' beat them up, painted them put them back on, repeat. LoL worth the money spent... Just my opinion....

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Just saw these in another thread? https://maximus-3.com/suspension/jl-wrangler/maximus-3-jl-jt-drain-plug-skid. Anyone run these for minimum protection. I like the price, but you may get what you pay for?
I have this. I have always tried to avoid hitting the front differential on anything anyway and my driving habits have not changed since installing it, so I haven't actually tested it in any meaningful way. Obviously it doesn't provide maximum protection, but I am confident that the drain plug won't work it's way out. I've also found that it's much easier to place the front differential out of harms way than it is for the rear, or at least with my driving style, so I don't think a front skid is as important as the rear once the drain plug situation is resolved.

Some day I might upgrade to other covers and not use the Maximus-3 skid, and make the drain plug a little more permanent with red locktite (which takes 550 degrees Fahrenheit to remove).

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Ordered a set of the RC covers yesterday., the ebay Rough Country store has the best price that I found, $75 for the front and the back. Pretty heavy too, pkg info said 25lbs for rear & 15 for the front.
lol at the vehicle compatibility charts on the ebay listing though, unless Rubicon owners swapped their tasty Dana 44s for our lowly D30 & D35 diffs then they will have fitment issues :headbang: :headbang:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rough-Coun...for-18-20-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-10624/363030485332
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rough-Coun...for-18-20-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-10623/362994428479

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door
I have the front and rear differential skids, the Jeep is a 2-door, 2.0t w/etorque. The rear skid hit the LiOn battery underneath and needed to be ground down to clear.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone using Rough Country Diff Skid Plate? 689A9A81-73D1-48DB-AC29-5DE7A6D007FC

the notch in the upper left.
The front one couldnā€™t be installed with my engine skid plate (rustys).

pretty sure the back will fit now, but it got too cold and snowy to paint and install. The front will need more work.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I have the front and rear differential skids, the Jeep is a 2-door, 2.0t w/etorque. The rear skid hit the LiOn battery underneath and needed to be ground down to clear.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone using Rough Country Diff Skid Plate? 689A9A81-73D1-48DB-AC29-5DE7A6D007FC

the notch in the upper left.
The front one couldnā€™t be installed with my engine skid plate (rustys).

pretty sure the back will fit now, but it got too cold and snowy to paint and install. The front will need more work.
Thanks for this. There aren't many of us with the 2-door 2.0 eTorque, and I suspect that any other combination would have worked without modification.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I have this. I have always tried to avoid hitting the front differential on anything anyway and my driving habits have not changed since installing it, so I haven't actually tested it in any meaningful way. Obviously it doesn't provide maximum protection, but I am confident that the drain plug won't work it's way out. I've also found that it's much easier to place the front differential out of harms way than it is for the rear, or at least with my driving style, so I don't think a front skid is as important as the rear once the drain plug situation is resolved.

Some day I might upgrade to other covers and not use the Maximus-3 skid, and make the drain plug a little more permanent with red locktite (which takes 550 degrees Fahrenheit to remove).
When Installing this will I loose diff fluid? Wasn't sure with just two bolts.
Sponsored