Rough country front diff skid question

Bingman

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy’s
Hey guys, just installed a rough country skid plate underneath the front diff. Once installed and all diff cover bolts tightened to 30 ft. Lbs, there is a gap at the top between the top of the differential and the bottom of the skid plate clamp. Is this normal? Do I need to worry? The skid is held tight against the bottom of the differential from the diff cover bolts. It doesn’t move around or shimmy at all what so ever. I imagine it’s good to go since it’s snug against the bottom of the diff but wanted to see what you all thought. Thanks for any insight!

2EBF6D4F-1D66-40AD-A28D-50A47092C1A2.jpeg
Sponsored

HellaJL2817

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
I’m looking to get this RC diff skid mainly because of the cost and expected use they will have with my limited off road plans. How is your use and thoughts on this skid ? Thanks

OP
OP
Bingman

Bingman

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy’s
I’m looking to get this RC diff skid mainly because of the cost and expected use they will have with my limited off road plans. How is your use and thoughts on this skid ? Thanks
In my opinion it is 100% worth it. If nothing else other than to protect the drain plug from getting knocked off of the bottom of the diff. My Jeep is a daily driver with only 33" tires and a 2.5" spacer lift. I use it for weekend offroad use at least once a month. I see you are in Ohio as well. I go to southington and also mid ohio offroad park and this diff skid has worked well for me.

HellaJL2817

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
In my opinion it is 100% worth it. If nothing else other than to protect the drain plug from getting knocked off of the bottom of the diff. My Jeep is a daily driver with only 33" tires and a 2.5" spacer lift. I use it for weekend offroad use at least once a month. I see you are in Ohio as well. I go to southington and also mid ohio offroad park and this diff skid has worked well for me.
Thanks for the info. I’m thinking they’re just what I was looking for. Definitely hoping to get to southington oh this spring. I have a sport with Rubi suspension and winch. not looking to Get to extreme in beginning but eventually. How are they with beginners? Tolerate them much?😂

OP
OP
Bingman

Bingman

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy’s
Thanks for the info. I’m thinking they’re just what I was looking for. Definitely hoping to get to southington oh this spring. I have a sport with Rubi suspension and winch. not looking to Get to extreme in beginning but eventually. How are they with beginners? Tolerate them much?😂
I've got a dana 44 rear with the lsd so I opted for the metalcloak rear differential skid because I like the way it mounts vs attaching with the diff cover bolts as the rough country and most other brands do. Not sure what tires you have, but even if you've got the stock sport tires there is mild stuff you could easily do. Quite often we will see a newer, stock grand cherokee there and a cherokee trail hawk or two. I think we've been there 5 or 6 times so far and find new trails/areas each time we go. They are very tolerant with beginners. Pretty much everybody there is willing to help out if needed.
Sponsored