Any regrets going automatic?

Duluth Diesel

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy’s Sport
Not sure if its been mentioned as well and its not something most thing about first hand when buying our jeeps, but in regards to resale value, the automatics are better because the demand for them is higher in cities because no none wants to drive stick anymore in traffic. I bought a manual a few years ago and when I asked the dealer why they didn't stock them, they told me its because they stay on the lot for too long so now for manuals, they just do custom orders. Its sad I know, but that's the way its going and like someone mentioned above, although jeeps is probably one of the few rare ones that will still have manuals while others cars are all but automatic, the Manuals are slowly disappearing for all the reasons stated above and by others and it shows in resale value and easy of resale.
Yup that’s why I had to order mine. Too many 4 cylinder automatics on the lot and nothing I wanted.
Sponsored

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
Not sure if its been mentioned as well and its not something most thing about first hand when buying our jeeps, but in regards to resale value, the automatics are better because the demand for them is higher in cities because no none wants to drive stick anymore in traffic. I bought a manual a few years ago and when I asked the dealer why they didn't stock them, they told me its because they stay on the lot for too long so now for manuals, they just do custom orders. Its sad I know, but that's the way its going and like someone mentioned above, although jeeps is probably one of the few rare ones that will still have manuals while others cars are all but automatic, the Manuals are slowly disappearing for all the reasons stated above and by others and it shows in resale value and easy of resale.

There will always be diehards so selling manual-equipped Wranglers is not hard you just have to advertise. I drove 5 hours to get mine because I wanted a 6-speed with heated seats.

JARHEAD-JL

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I had a manual JLU, I had so much problems with the clutch on that transmission. Now I have an automatic JLU and I love it. I can't emphasize on how much better the ride quality is even with 37s.

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ, 95 YJ, 2019 JLU x2
I have two YJ's 4.2L and 2.5L both 5 speeds, also a CJ5 (project) I also driven stick my entire driving life. I must say I thought i was going to HATE going to the 8 speed auto butttttttt I actually really enjoy it. Shifting is SOOOO smooth as for bring in traffic its really nice to pop it in "M" and keep it in 1st gear. I have no regrets with my JLU 2.0t w/ 8spd automatic haha! My wife also has a JLU and it is nice that we never have to worry about what car to drive (she can drive manual but doesn't really enjoy it).

Sponsored

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
My Jeep, being a diesel, is of course an auto. The wife's is a manual (she loves them). Her former Jeep was a '13 2 door manual. My former Jeep was a '14 4 door with 5 speed auto. I can say the new auto is a much better trans than the old auto AND the new manual is MUCH better than the old one. Reverse is up to the left with shifter mounted lockout instead of back on the right. Shifts easier with I believe a shorter throw, and the clutch is so easy it almost doesn't feel like it's connected to anything. Took a while for me to get used to the clutch feel, but that manual is really slick. That said, I prefer my auto. Makes it interesting tho, driving one than the other with the same basic interior, sometimes I forget to push the third pedal when coming to a stop, with the resulting chunk--clunk as the engine tries to keep going (along with stares from the wife). Gotta retrain myself every time.

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The manual on the jl is fantastic. The 8 speed is probably best of breed for an auto (I've driven it in other applications). But, the jl with the manual is still faster, lighter, more fuel efficient, geared lower and cheaper... I don't see any reason I would ever buy an auto.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
The manual on the jl is fantastic. The 8 speed is probably best of breed for an auto (I've driven it in other applications). But, the jl with the manual is still faster, lighter, more fuel efficient, geared lower and cheaper... I don't see any reason I would ever buy an auto.
Not according to the EPA it isn't more fuel efficient. It's close, but trails the 8-speed automatic by 2 MPG.

Maybe real world numbers are different though.

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Not according to the EPA it isn't more fuel efficient. It's close, but trails the 8-speed automatic by 2 MPG.

Maybe real world numbers are different though.
The way the EPA evaluates manuals tends to skew the results. I've never had an auto vehicle that met the EPA evaluation in real life, and all of the manuals exceeded it.

In this case, my real world combined is 23.3-23.5, which is way above what it's rated.

BLuRRnAWAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
I almost ordered manual, and I am so happy I did not. The automatic is a dream to drive and truly is amazing.

Sponsored

JARHEAD-JL

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I would like to agree with you brother, but the Automatic is definitely faster than the manual by a longshot. The manual is more fuel efficient for sure, but its a Jeep who cares about fuel efficiency. FYI I have owned both transmissions and the automatic is my favorite transmission on the JL.

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I would like to agree with you brother, but the Automatic is definitely faster than the manual by a longshot. The manual is more fuel efficient for sure, but its a Jeep who cares about fuel efficiency. FYI I have owned both transmissions and the automatic is my favorite transmission on the JL.
C/D testing suggest the manual is faster. That would make sense as there's less power loss and the lower gearing.

JARHEAD-JL

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
C/D testing suggest the manual is faster. That would make sense as there's less power loss and the lower gearing.
I'm just saying, this is my personal experience behind the wheel for both transmissions.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The torque converter acts as an additional gearset somewhere in the 1.8:1 - 2.5:1 range, and 1:1 is 6th in the automatic vs. 4th in the manual. Those two additional gears keep the motor right in it's powerband the whole time.

Even if the efficiency losses are greater, the automatic should have a pretty big advantage over the manual when it comes to acceleration, with the exception of dead stop clutch dumps.

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The torque converter acts as an additional gearset somewhere in the 1.8:1 - 2.5:1 range, and 1:1 is 6th in the automatic vs. 4th in the manual. Those two additional gears keep the motor right in it's powerband the whole time.

Even if the efficiency losses are greater, the automatic should have a pretty big advantage over the manual when it comes to acceleration.
On starting acceleration a clutch functions the same way. Also, your stall speed is fairly low on standard torque converters for the street so you really aren't gaining any extra gearing.

On gearing, more gears isn't necessarily going to make you faster. The purpose of 8 and 10 speed transmissions has more to do with optimization for efficiency while cruising and smooth shifting.
Sponsored