Sponsored

Drivers with automatic trans and 3.6L V6, any regrets on not getting the 2.0L Turbo?

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I guess that will depend a bit on the engine design. I put 140K miles on an Audi 2.0T direct injected motor in ~ 3.5 years and had zero issues with carbon buildup.
That is the same manufacturer and 2.0T engine I owned for 10years prior to the JLU v6. The problem with DI carbon buildup did not occur until 7+ years on my Audi. I ran ONLY top tier premium fuel and took great care of the vehicle/engine.

So this is only a concern for those who plan to drive the DI vehicle for many years. Let's hope the FCA designed 2.0T does not have the same issues as the Audi 2.0T.

Again, it takes years for the carbon buildup to cause a problem.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Carbon buildup can be avoided by using high quality and clean fuel and oil. Problems tend to result from being more concerned with saving a buck, and not about how that buck was saved.
Afraid this was not true with the Audi 2.0T engine. I ran only the top tier premium fuel and kept the engine religiously maintained for the 10+ years of ownership. The problem is more with the emission systems added to our domestic vehicles and the negative impact on DI engines. Over time oil vapors from the ventilation system passing through intake valves form carbon deposits on the backside of the valves and on the injectors.

Last edited:

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
Diesels (DI by design) are being around for ages, never heard anybody wining about diesels carbon build-up. Early DI gas engines had some issues initially, but it is not an issue in modern DI gas engines from reputable manufacturers. Thanks to new reformulated oils and oil separators in PCV.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Diesels (DI by design) are being around for ages, never heard anybody wining about diesels carbon build-up. Early DI gas engines had some issues initially, but it is not an issue in modern DI gas engines from reputable manufacturers. Thanks to new reformulated oils and oil separators in PCV.
Diesel DI engines are a very different design so are not susceptible to the same issues as petrol DI engines.

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Afraid this was not true with the Audi 2.0T engine. I ran only the top tier premium fuel and kept the engine religiously maintained for the 10+ years of ownership. The problem is more with the emission systems added to our domestic vehicles and the negative impact on DI engines. Over time oil vapors from the ventilation system passing through intake valves form carbon deposits on the backside of the valves and on the injectors.
Its become such a standard on my motors that don't always stay level to the ground, that I forgot to mention my catch can. Its not as easy as it used to be to revent to atmosphere, without throwing codes.

Diesel DI engines are a very different design so are not susceptible to the same issues as petrol DI engines.
Only real differences are the glow plugs instead of spark plugs and the generally higher compression ratio and fuel injection pressure of the diesels. Diesel is a less refined fuel, hence the reason for them being more prone to carbon and soot build up. Modern diesel emissions have made them far worse when it comes to choking themselves on byproducts.

The future of internal combustion engines relies on the continuing advancement of DI and mild hybrid systems. Edit to add: And smaller displacement, power dense inline motors.

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Its become such a standard on my motors that don't always stay level to the ground, that I forgot to mention my catch can. Its not as easy as it used to be to revent to atmosphere, without throwing codes.
An integrated catch can changes everything in this discussion and would resolve the carbon buildup issue! However, I'm afraid they are not legal and will not pass smog in the state I currently live.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
An integrated catch can changes everything and would resolve the carbon buildup issue! However, I'm afraid they are not legal and will not pass smog in the state I currently live.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I am vented to atmosphere. My crankcase is still being fed into the intake stream, like factory, but just takes a little detour to condense into a can. Cali is really that uptight, even if no codes are present? Wouldn't be surprised if they are, but still.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I am vented to atmosphere. My crankcase is still being fed into the intake stream, like factory, but just takes a little detour to condense into a can. Cali is really that uptight, even if no codes are present? Wouldn't be surprised if they are, but still.
Any modification to the factory emissions system that is not CARB approved/legal will not pass smog.

Even if it improves emissions, mileage, creates rainbows and smells better - California considers it a bad modification.

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Any modification to the factory emissions system that is not CARB approved/legal will not pass smog.

Even if it improves emissions, mileage, creates rainbows and smells better - California considers it a bad modification.
I feel for you. I'm in New York, and we're right on your heals.
Sponsored