OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
It’s too bad I won’t ever forget how to shift a manual but I never, ever see myself owning another one. Ever. I’m done with manuals. It was fun in my big block Fairlane. Now it’s annoying.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Well, with the exception of one or two folks, it seems that the only people that regret buying the auto transmission are the diehard manual guys that didn't buy one to start with. ;)

Later,
Johnny

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I have a manual in my Trans Am. It's fun but I only drive it on nice days during summer. I would never want one for my DD, too much BS. The auto in the JL is great...and after installing the Livernois tune it is fantastic. Crisp, firm shifts and 8th gear is much more usable.

Kona Damien

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Rubicon and ‘13 Grand Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. No regrets. Took less than a year to get rid of the foot twitch.

Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Never. I've had lots of both. My two fave autos are the 32rh from early TJ's and the new 8 speed in my JL. Exploring, being able to stall on things, not getting tired doing 7 hrs in the saddle crossing back country. I love my autos.

5speeds are rad - had lots of em in toyotas and a TJ rubicon as well, but regrets? Hell no.

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I've been daily driving manual transmissions for the last 10+ years. 3 years with a Civic Si and another 7 with a WRX. Got my 2021 JLU in automatic and I no longer know what to do with my right hand.

TheLodgeOne

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I used to think and say the same thing, but...

A low gear selection and Four Low doesn't always absolve the driver of using the third pedal. Busy clutchwork can mean that temperature is a concern there, also.
Could be true. But in a rubicon the gearing is so high, it crawls slow enough 1st gear in 4lo you can pretty much stop and go without touching the clutch.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Have the 2.0T non etorque with Auto and it is one of the best all round set ups I have had in a wrangler. I have had manual and autos before but this 8 speed is very capable. Good both on and off road so far.

Duluth Diesel

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy’s Sport
The new 8 speed autos are probably the best auto I’ve ever driven. Flat out impressive. And I’m a die hard manual guy since I was a kid with a 65 Ford and 68 Chevy. Both 1 ton duallys. But my new JL is a manual because I want the engagement and fun driving of a manual. I’ve owned three of these new Chrysler 8 speeds in a Duango, a 1500, and a 2500 Ram. Great autos absolutely. I’ll get my auto fix in my Ram. My Wrangler needs to be a manual. It’s part of the fun and experience. And teaching the kids how to drive a stick because that should still be a thing kids are taught.

Sponsored

TheGreyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Similar to some other folks on here. My wife can’t drive manual... and like golf, I’m not teaching her how to drive a manual either. Also, the auto is smooth and easy. Living in northern Virginia. A manual can be a bitch in traffic.

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
And teaching the kids how to drive a stick because that should still be a thing kids are taught.

I agree kids should be taught to drive a stick. It's a good skill to have "just in case" they find themselves as the "designated driver" in their friend's stick shift car. I taught my eldest grandson to drive in my GMC pickup with a 5-speed manual, and will teach his younger brother using my 6-speed Wrangler.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if its been mentioned as well and its not something most thing about first hand when buying our jeeps, but in regards to resale value, the automatics are better because the demand for them is higher in cities because no none wants to drive stick anymore in traffic. I bought a manual a few years ago and when I asked the dealer why they didn't stock them, they told me its because they stay on the lot for too long so now for manuals, they just do custom orders. Its sad I know, but that's the way its going and like someone mentioned above, although jeeps is probably one of the few rare ones that will still have manuals while others cars are all but automatic, the Manuals are slowly disappearing for all the reasons stated above and by others and it shows in resale value and easy of resale.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
It's been awhile since I had a manual, at least 12 years. I do miss it. The sense of satisfaction with perfect gear changes, and when it wasn't perfect, the striving to get another almost imperceptible shift.

But when I lived in Northern Virginia, I couldn't take driving a manual anymore in that traffic. It was exhausting. Seriously, my car wouldn't get out of third gear in most drives. Gridlock everywhere.

Plus I got married and my wife needed to be able to drive it in emergencies, and no way do i have the patience to teach her manual.

This Jeep has a great auto though. Very responsive. Not as good as the Volkswagen GTI's DSG dual clutch I had, but close.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Manuals can be fun, but the 8 speed auto has been fantastic for me. Jeeping more technical trails the auto is a no brainer. Especially if you are into rock climbing, which is not a big interest of mine personally.
Sponsored