DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The tank skid goes all the way up the side and only on the inside. The outer side is bare. If cost/weight concerned cheap ass FCA put it there, I have to think it was for a reason

1598731835198.png
So with the Artec, the red area is exposed?
Sponsored

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
So with the Artec, the red area is exposed?
Just checked an install video. Not bare, but much more exposed. Here is the shot just before they raise it into place.

Jeep Wrangler JL Aluminum Skids 1598732644187

If the drive shaft is spinning clockwise here, it honestly may not be an issue. But if that thing busts loose spinning counter and catches that tank...ugg.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just checked an install video. Not bare, but much more exposed. Here is the shot just before they raise it into place.

Jeep Wrangler JL Aluminum Skids 1598732644187

If they drive shaft is spinning clockwise here, it honestly may not be an issue. But they that thing busts loose spinning counter and catches that tank...ugg.
Wow, great pic! I'm really surprised the factory skid covers it so much better.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm really surprised the factory skid covers it so much better.
I am not. Aftermarket has its place but isn't held as liable as a big corporation.
Kudos to Thinman, you cast a shadow on this one.
I emailed Artec asking if it ws possible for them to add a riser skirt to protect the fuel tank. I mentioned Metalcloak has seen fit to add a higher section on their fuel skid tank skid in the area of the rear driveshaft front joint. I will report back if they reply or not....

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
My 2WD S-10 has a little piece of metal covering the gas tank in this exact spot, but none on the bottom... now I know why. It's probably best to have at least some protection from the driveshaft.

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I emailed Artec asking if it ws possible for them to add a riser skirt to protect the fuel tank. I mentioned Metalcloak has seen fit to add a higher section on their fuel skid tank skid in the area of the rear driveshaft front joint.

Artec replied...
Ben,

Thanks for reaching out! That is not an issue we have run into with our rigorous testing on multiple vehicles, or any customer vehicles, but I will bring it up to our R&D department. That being said, we unfortunately don't do any custom work, so its not likely that it will be something we can achieve for you with our bellypan system unless we are going to redesign and add something like that, which could technically be a possibility, but realistically is not very likely. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Artec Industries

Steven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Occupation
Dad
Well, it was good of them to reply in a timely fashion. At least it should be easy to fab in yourself.

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
I know Quadratec has aluminum skid plates that I am seriously considering.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I know Quadratec has aluminum skid plates that I am seriously considering.
Highly recommended. I have them on my Jeep for weight/heat savings and I'm reasonably happy. They came well wrapped and were easily installed in 2ish hours in my buddy's garage with hand tools and the 2 of us working in tandem. They come with Heavy duty steel cross members to add/ replace the ones you take off that get caught on everything. I basically parked the Jeep on them on a few rocks on the black trails at Rausch Creek, and they held up well. I've got a full install write up with pictures in my build thread and pictures of the aftermath of Rausch.

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
Iā€™m looking for aluminum skids too for my 2019 Rubicon JLU 2.0 eTorque.

Iā€™d go with Artecā€¦. But it requires a 1.5 lift and Iā€™m not lifting my rigā€¦ at least not now.

Iā€™m highly interested in Rock Hard 4x4 system but itā€™s heavy and expensiveā€¦.

Iā€™d like more info on Next Ventures system but canā€™t seem to find reviews, install videos, or anythingā€¦.

Heres my analysis:
- Rock Hard 4x4 - 200 lbs - $2500 (with muffler skid) - has 2 steel cross members. Not long-arm compatible.
- Next Venture Motor Sports - 85 lbs - $2100 - must remove gas skid. Can add plastic sliders for $500. Doesn't seem to be much in reviews or install videos?
- MORE - weight??? - $1347 - not a system, no eTorque or muffler skids
- Asfir - 103 lbs - $1127 (including muffler) - doesn't work as a system, requires removal of frame brace, which I don't like.
- Rustys - weight ? - $1120 - It's raw steel. I'm looking for aluminum.
- Artec - 91 lbs - $2000 - looks like a great system, but requires 1.5 inch lift. I'm not planning on lifting.
- Metal Cloak - 149 lbs - $1749 - Steel w/ zinc coating
- Motobil - no system for the 2.0
- Rough Country - no system for the 2.0
- Quadratec - no system for 2.0

thoughts? What am I missing?

Sponsored

Brad_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Rubicon (stock so far)
Iā€™m looking for aluminum skids too for my 2019 Rubicon JLU 2.0 eTorque.

Iā€™d go with Artecā€¦. But it requires a 1.5 lift and Iā€™m not lifting my rigā€¦ at least not now.

Iā€™m highly interested in Rock Hard 4x4 system but itā€™s heavy and expensiveā€¦.

Iā€™d like more info on Next Ventures system but canā€™t seem to find reviews, install videos, or anythingā€¦.

Heres my analysis:
- Rock Hard 4x4 - 200 lbs - $2500 (with muffler skid) - has 2 steel cross members. Not long-arm compatible.
- Next Venture Motor Sports - 85 lbs - $2100 - must remove gas skid. Can add plastic sliders for $500. Doesn't seem to be much in reviews or install videos?
- MORE - weight??? - $1347 - not a system, no eTorque or muffler skids
- Asfir - 103 lbs - $1127 (including muffler) - doesn't work as a system, requires removal of frame brace, which I don't like.
- Rustys - weight ? - $1120 - It's raw steel. I'm looking for aluminum.
- Artec - 91 lbs - $2000 - looks like a great system, but requires 1.5 inch lift. I'm not planning on lifting.
- Metal Cloak - 149 lbs - $1749 - Steel w/ zinc coating
- Motobil - no system for the 2.0
- Rough Country - no system for the 2.0
- Quadratec - no system for 2.0

thoughts? What am I missing?
What did you end up going with?

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
What did you end up going with?
Hey @Brad H, I ended up going with the Next Venture Aluminum Skid Plate System. I had a few initial bumps with it (largely an exhaust contact - which Next Venture quickly remedied) but overall have been super happy with the quality, protection, fit, minimal weight add, price, and customer service. I'd strongly recommend. I'm posting my installation over on this thread with more to follow: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...e-jlu-aluminum-belly-skids.71388/post-1669349 to not be redundant on the forum. Hit me up if you have specific questions or just post on the Next Venture Skid thread and I'll attempt to address. Let me know what you end up going with - I'll be curious.
Sponsored

Last edited: