Aluminum Skids

OceanJL

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Hey all , I’m looking to do some skids on my 2.0 JLU. Weight is a super big factor for me . I’m looking at Artec and Rock hard . Ive seen that the Artec skids only add about 15lbs . Does anyone know the weight specs on the Rock hard. The only thing I don’t like about the Artec is the way the passenger e-torque / exhaust skid is designed, I wish it was more like the gas tank design . Any info is appreciated!
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all , I’m looking to do some skids on my 2.0 JLU. Weight is a super big factor for me . I’m looking at Artec and Rock hard . Ive seen that the Artec skids only add about 15lbs . Does anyone know the weight specs on the Rock hard. The only thing I don’t like about the Artec is the way the passenger e-torque / exhaust skid is designed, I wish it was more like the gas tank design . Any info is appreciated!
I don't know much detail, but the light weight, coverage, and actual gain of I think 2/3" in ground clearance has me zeroing in on the Artec. I may pull the trigger on it within the next couple months.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
I'm looking at the Artec, but the issue I have is the removal of the stock gas tank skid because of it's side protection provided. Just doesn't sit well with me for whatever reason (leaking ball of flame).

I haven't looked closely though to see if there is a bolt or anything next to the tank that could get shoved into it somehow if not protected on the sides.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
They are all listed just for the auto transmission. Too bad because their stuff looks pretty good.
Agreed. No 2-door version though. Artec told me hopefully early 2021 for 2-door.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I agree about not liking the design of Artec's e-torque skid. Seems like a great place to get a rock or something stuck up in there and creating havoc. Otherwise, the Artec system looks like a solid system.

The RH is very pricey and not eligible for a discount at Northridge 4x4. At least the Artec skid can be discounted at Northridge, plus Artec runs their own discounts a few times a year.

While wanting to save weight, I will probably go with the Metalcloak armor since it is a complete belly pan and I'll just deal with the added weight.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I'd go with Rock Hard 4x4. If you have any questions, call them. I just did, got a person on the phone in under a minute and had all my questions and concerns handled excellently.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd go with Rock Hard 4x4. If you have any questions, call them. I just did, got a person on the phone in under a minute and had all my questions and concerns handled excellently.
The Rock Hard looks like a really nice set up. Artec boasts of only a 10 lb net weight gain, once you subtract the gas tank skid and other parts removed before installation. Rock Hard says this system weighs 180lbs. What's the net weight increase for this system? Does it cover the existing gas tank skid, or replace it?

Keeping the weight down is among the highest priorities on my Jeep. That's why I'm considering aluminum, if I were to go with a belly skid system.

Thanks!

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The Rock Hard looks like a really nice set up. Artec boasts of only a 10 lb net weight gain, once you subtract the gas tank skid and other parts removed before installation. Rock Hard says this system weighs 180lbs. What's the net weight increase for this system? Does it cover the existing gas tank skid, or replace it?

Keeping the weight down is among the highest priorities on my Jeep. That's why I'm considering aluminum, if I were to go with a belly skid system.

Thanks!
I have been wanting a weight saving aluminum belly pan for my 2dr. RockHard and M.O.R.E. are too heavy, little or no weight savings and ground clearance lost. I contacted Asfir and once I saw installation instructions and the fuel tank skid mounts over the factory skid. I figure ground clearance will be lost and still more weight. Artec's will most likely be under my rig when 2 door is offered. It has both weight savings and better ground clearance.
BTW, I've had a M.O.R.E. metal bellypan on for over a year and scraped it a lot. Still I'm not worried about replacing with an Artec industries unit.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have been wanting a weight saving aluminum belly pan for my 2dr. RockHard and M.O.R.E. are to heavy, little or now weight savings and ground clearance lost. I contacted Asfir and once I saw intallation instructions and they mount the fuel tank over the factory skid. I figure ground clearance will be lost and still more weight. Artec will most likely be under my rig when it's offered. Weight savings and better ground clearance. BTW, I've had a M.O.R.E. metal bellypan on for over a year and scraped it a lot. Still I'm not worried about replacing with an Artec industries unit.
Yep, Rock Hard just replied to my inquiry and confirmed. Theirs is a 160 lb net weight gain. Artec is leading the game at this point. One thing I also like about Artec is that they are located right in Moab, so they've got access to some of the the greatest test tracks in the country!

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm looking at the Artec, but the issue I have is the removal of the stock gas tank skid because of it's side protection provided. Just doesn't sit well with me for whatever reason (leaking ball of flame).

I haven't looked closely though to see if there is a bolt or anything next to the tank that could get shoved into it somehow if not protected on the sides.
I took a look today. The issue with removal of the factory gas tank skid is the driveline. Driveline failure will produce a very high chance of gas tank damage or puncture.

Doubt I will go with the Artecs unfortunately

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I took a look today. The issue with removal of the factory gas tank skid is the driveline. Driveline failure will produce a very high chance of gas tank damage or puncture.

You may have something there. Shouldn't be a deal breaker to extend plate aluminum farther up the side of Artecs design. Only need an added short section like Metalcloak has on theirs. For a few extra $ you might even get Artec to add something. Anyway, I'll still go with Artec Ind. and maybe add the protection myself once I see it in person.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Can you get a pic of this?

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you get a pic of this?
The tank skid goes all the way up the side and only on the inside. The outer side is bare. If cost/weight concerned cheap ass FCA put it there, I have to think it was for a reason

Jeep Wrangler JL Aluminum Skids 1598731835198
Sponsored