Sponsored

Advisory: Keep your exhaust loop pipe safe!

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
Got it now. Looks like what you cut off was flanged for strength. Hope that edge is overlapping something and supported. I was just reviewing EVO instructions and it only mentioned grinding and sanding, not cutting. Think I’ll contact them today.
You definitely need to cut. You'd be grinding for days. That section is not supported. And yes, that's my fingerprint on the freshly repainted painted area because... impatient

IMG_2963.JPG

MikeJLUR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Rubicon
The first thing I always add to any vehicle are skid plates. So with that being said I just purchased a 2019 JLUR and in the market for skid plates.

So far from from the little research I have done like hard rock skid plate system offers the most coverage. If there's another company out there I should be looking at that offers the same or more coverage please let me know.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Saw this thread awhile back and I found out that skid row sells an exhaust loop skid - https://www.skidrowoffroad.com/prod...aust-guard-for-jeep-wrangler-jk-2018-present/

Pretty easy installation and reasonable price. I'm running the MC skids as well

ZSyZuem.jpg
Looks good and the fact that it works with the MC skids is a plus. Looking at it though, it only has 2 mounting pints and they're both on the same side seemingly cantilevering the skid plate. I'm be curious to see how It takes a direct hit and if it'd bend up to hit the pipe since it's not supported on one side. With that said, I'll probably still buy it as it seems to be the only option at this point.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Looks good and the fact that it works with the MC skids is a plus. Looking at it though, it only has 2 mounting pints and they're both on the same side seemingly cantilevering the skid plate. I'm be curious to see how It takes a direct hit and if it'd bend up to hit the pipe since it's not supported on one side. With that said, I'll probably still buy it as it seems to be the only option at this point.
I was gonna post exactly this. I think it has promise - and may be fantastic as-is - but it looks like a bit of a potential lever arm. Would want to handle in person to determine.

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Learn by my mistake. :(

On the driver side, your JL cat pipe has a loop in it that is meant to make both sides of the exhaust equal in length before they merge together. This loop protrudes down a bit and is fairly easily hit while rock crawling.

I unfortunately slipped off a rock with my driver rear, and landed directly on another rock right under my loop pipe. It pushed everything forward.

Luckily the driver's side cat itself took the brunt of it, and collapsed in a little bit. The mid pipe hanger snapped. I do have an aFe rock basher shorty exhaust installed, and it fared just fine.

I started having an exhaust leak right afterward. After doing some gandering and listening, It was coming from the manifold at the passenger side. I bought a new gasket ($15) and swapped the gasket. Boom, no more exhaust leak.

Things are still tweaked a bit, but she functions like new. Sort of. :whew:

I do have full belly skids from MetalCloak - but they do not cover this loop pipe.

Here are some pictures showing the exhaust damage, the passenger manifold gasket, my skid plates, and a random picture of my JL on some rocks. (the damage did not happen in the bottom two pictures)

IMG_20181118_095458.jpg

IMG_20181118_095514.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_539234472175232_20181120_000402792.jpeg

IMG_20181119_192840.jpg

IMG_20181119_195721.jpg

IMG_20181119_195725.jpg

IMG_20181107_131426.jpg
Yikes! Please tell us the name of the mall where this happened!!!!

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Looking at the installation instructions, one bolt is on frame and 2nd is on LCA bolt. It's 3/16" and boxed, should be strout. I have one ordered. I'll update post once I have it mounted and put a floor jack under it. Only way to really know.
cant wait to see your impression. i have one sitting in 4WP shopping cart till then

KarnaughMI

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
I have the Evo Skids with the loop protector for that reason. I had Evo skids on my JKU and waited for the JLU ones to be released.

I also have the AEV lift and LOD Signature series rock rails. Took some persuasion with the large pry bar to get everything to bolt up, but no grinding was required and it all fits.

-Tom

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have the Evo Skids with the loop protector for that reason. I had Evo skids on my JKU and waited for the JLU ones to be released.

I also have the AEV lift and LOD Signature series rock rails. Took some persuasion with the large pry bar to get everything to bolt up, but no grinding was required and it all fits.

-Tom
Hey Tom, might you have any pictures of this? I have the LOD Destroyer sliders and I’m pondering the Evo Skids.

Thanks!

Sponsored

Wrangler-NS

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I'm about to install this EVO piece for the very same reason. It covers the exhaust loop, oil pan and tranny quite well. My exhaust loop has taken a beating (not as bad as yours) and I don't want an expensive repair to deal with. Costs ~ $425 which seems reasonable to cover some areas of the JL that really seem vulnerable to rocks. I wish I knew why the exhaust loop was so open. Sorry about your damage but a great reminder. I'm installing once my broken collarbone heals and I can lift more than 1lb over my shoulders.

EVO-3041B-HGJF__42804.1550108233.jpg
I've installed these and I'm very happy with them. A good investment in my opinion.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Are there any other mfgr’s full skid plates that work with the Skid Row exhaust skid besides Metal Cloak?

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Last edited:

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Will the EVO skid (or the skid row) work with LOD Signature sliders? Or could it be modified easily to make it work? I have the EVO engine skid, but didn’t order the exhaust one yet.
Sponsored