48V/ESG questions.

oscarvan

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Sport
Apologies if asked and answered, I did a lot of reading on these pages but I'm still not "seeing it".

Just got the 2.0 with automatic.

Do all the 2.0/Auto have the system? I see nothing under the hood that looks different than what I'm used to. Where is the 48V battery if I have one? The alternator looks, well, like an alternator and I see nothing else on the belt that makes me go hmmmm...... There's also nothing in the open space on the drivers side between the drive shaft and the exhaust like some pictures show.

Jeep Wrangler JL 48V/ESG questions. IMG_7147

Jeep Wrangler JL 48V/ESG questions. IMG_7148
Sponsored

TXFirecracker

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Willys
Mine does not have the 48V battery system. I have read on here that they are only offering it in the Sahara now days but others more knowledgeable can chime in on that. If you have the 48V it should be located under the vehicle on drivers side. Can't miss it from the YouTube video that I have seen.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Look under your jeep on Driver side, should be a skid plate covering the suitcase 48V battery, but I would guess you dont have it since you have an alternator.

Go look up Jeep Informant on You Tube, he has a video of the BSG, Battery, Battery cooling system on a 2.0 with the E _Tourque, has it on the lift and shows all the crap load of hoses and plumbing plastic bits for all three cooling systems on the 2.0 BSG.

I would love to price out all the formed hoses which will have to be replaced at some point to prevent a blown hose. I got the 3.6, it has enough crap on it. Hate Obama and his EPA minions forcing the OEMs to go thru all these hoops to eek out an extra .5 mpg to avoid Cafe fines, let them EPA SOBs crawl under your car and fix it! Damn tree huggers!

OP
OP
oscarvan

oscarvan

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Sport
Thank you for the Jeep Informant tip. Those vids are awesome. Learned about the "baby battery".

And, it appears I don't have a BSG or 48V battery. From what I'm reading that's a good thing.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, you don't have the eTorque version of the 2.0 engine. The eTorque is equipped with the 48 Volt battery system and BSG. A quick way to tell a 2.0 eTorque from a regular 2.0 is the eTorque has two coolant bottles on the driver fender. There will be one coolant bottle on each side of the windshield washer reservoir. In the picture, the arrow and red circle are where the second coolant bottle will be.

Since you don't have the eTorque, your engine has regular ESS. There is a small battery in a compartment underneath your main battery.

Jeep Wrangler JL 48V/ESG questions. IMG_7147

Sponsored

OP
OP
oscarvan

oscarvan

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Sport
Thanks. I now have a better understanding of what's what. I must confess that I didn't realize that there may or may not be e-torque when I signed the paperwork. Guess I didn't do my homework very thoroughly. That said, I think I'm happy without. It drives just fine and there's a lot less "stuff" to maintain/fix.
Sponsored