how to check 48v lithum battery pack charge level

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
After being parked for many months without starting - the start stop system (etorque) is malfunctional including some of the accessories such as radio does not turn on during ignition in accessory mode and interior lights not functioning properly. I understand that the 48v also provides power to some of the accessories.
I am trying to pinpoint the issue and can't seem to figure it out and need bit of help to resolve this - have no warranty so that is out of the question. ANd I have replaced the power fuse array including checking other fuses.
What are the components i need to check on the 48v battery system to see if there can be an issue or it lost its full charge.
Thanks
(the vehicle does start and run but acting like there no 48V battery with disable the BSG operation, and i assuming it disabled other functions, as well)
Sponsored

Last edited:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If it is starting and running, why not drive it for an hour or longer, at st 50-60 mph ; that would let the BSG ( Belt Start GENERATOR ) charge the 48v battery. See what the charge rate is to the 12v battery on the EVIC display.

OP
OP

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
If it is starting and running, why not drive it for an hour or longer, at st 50-60 mph ; that would let the BSG ( Belt Start GENERATOR ) charge the 48v battery. See what the charge rate is to the 12v battery on the EVIC display.
Have drove it around but not for an hour yet. 12V charge rate is good at 14.4v

Sponsored

OP
OP

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Any fuses related with etorque system?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
From what I recall, the BSG only charges the 48V battery. The 48V then goes through an inverter to charge the 12V battery.
Exactly why bringing the 48v up is necessary ; the 12v battery needs to have a threshold, or it starts prioritizing systems, using Intelligent Systems Monitor ( that's a paraphrase ). Since 14 v is showing on EVIC, that's proof BSG is doing its job, charging the 48v lithium ion, that had been sitting idle for months.

OP
OP

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
initially, i did use a battery charger and left it connected for day or so to charge the 12v battery.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
This

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I would of left a trickle charge on the 12V battery. I am curious as to the 48V battery, if the lifespan would be impacted for people who store there toys over the winter, thus take the Jeep out of service, what happens to the 48V system? Obviously leave a trickle charger on the 12V.

tacloader

First Name
george
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 ram bighorn 4x4 18 jeep rangle rubicon
I park my 2018 jl rubicon 2.0 for winter in Minnesota. I disconnect the positive cable for the 12 volt and then I disconnect the cable attached to the positive cable on top that connects to the 48v battery when I start in spring I connect the cables. I have no problem. battery stays charged
Sponsored