37s on xtreme recon package?

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I wouldn't call it pointless. 4.56 aren't terrible for 37's, not perfect but not terrible. Upgraded axles, factory beadlocks, tailgate reinforcement, bigger brakes aren't nothing.
My gut instinct would be to swap out that tailgate reinforcement for an aftermarket one that replaces the hinges, but the rest of the xr upgrades would be nice to have. Wish that option was available for me when I purchased my jeep!

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

My gut instinct would be to swap out that tailgate reinforcement for an aftermarket one that replaces the hinges, but the rest of the xr upgrades would be nice to have. Wish that option was available for me when I purchased my jeep!
So far so good on factory mopar gate. No shakes or rattles with 37” MT on beadlocks and a tailgate table

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
37" BFGs work great on the Extreme Recon package. They sit at 35.5" mounted, the stock 315/70/17s measured just over 34". Had to move the mounts up on the tailgate bracket. The 4.56 gears are perfect for these tires.
Jeep Wrangler JL 37s on xtreme recon package? HighTide3
Wouldn't call 4.56 and 37s perfect but better than 4.10 and 37s. I ran 5.13 and 37s on my '19 JLUR and that was much closer to perfect. Based on my experience running 37s with 4.10s, 4.56 and 5.13s, the 4.56 is good enough to save money and not do a gear change. If I did though, this time I'd probably go with 4.88.
My 22 XR...

37s No Lift XR.jpg

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Wondering if anyone has any updates to this thread? I have a 3.6L XR on order, and want to go to 37s as soon as possible. Trailrecon did a 3/4" spring spacer on his 392XR and claims to still have some rubbing at full flex in the rear. Anyone have experience doing that with the 3.6L e-torque?
I ran a daystar 3/4 spacer in the rear with bfg 37 zero problems at full flex.

Just put 1.5" in the front to level it with steel bumper and winch. Plus help to push up the bump stop gap.

Very easy and cheap way to get what the XR should have been from day 1 imo. It's fine on the 456 gears. But a little gutless. I think 5.13 would be ideal. And 488 good. But best to save $$.. I'm going to see if I can get the bfg 39s in there when they come back in stock with high line fenders.. But will keep the stock 35s for day to day.

Sponsored

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys

Just put 1.5" in the front to level it with steel bumper and winch. Plus help to push up the bump stop gap.

Very easy and cheap way to get what the XR should have been from day 1 imo. It's fine on the 456 gears. But a little gutless. I think 5.13 would be ideal. And 488 good. But best to save $$.. I'm going to see if I can get the bfg 39s in there when they come back in stock with high line fenders.. But will keep the stock 35s for day to day.
I think the issue with going above 4.88 gears is those teeth start getting really weak in the Dana 44 housing for running bigger tires. At least in an automatic vs manual, i would much rather stick with 4.56 or maybe 4.88 and sacrifice a little gusto in return for reliability on the trails with 37s.

leakgator

First Name
Branson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150
37" BFGs work great on the Extreme Recon package. They sit at 35.5" mounted, the stock 315/70/17s measured just over 34". Had to move the mounts up on the tailgate bracket. The 4.56 gears are perfect for these tires.
Jeep Wrangler JL 37s on xtreme recon package? 37s No Lift XR
Did you use a tazer to recalibrate or?
Thank you!

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
I put 2.5” RK springs in instead of spacers to compensate for bumper and winch. Gave me a bit extra if I choose to go 37s next time. The 35/4.56 is a nice combo.

24A1BC93-A927-4E0F-B518-7831E58ED32E.jpeg

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link

Thanks for that feedback! I was planning on 3/4" Daystar front and rear, but you bring up a good point i may want to prepare for that winch and do the 1.5" up front also.

JonG

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU
Did you use a tazer to recalibrate or?
Thank you!
No, I haven’t and probably won’t. It doesn’t feel any different then the 315’s that came on it. The speedo is a little off, but not as bad as when I had 35’s on my old Gladiator sport with 3.73. It has no problem finding 8th gear and holding it.

Sponsored

J_Winslow

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
I have 37's on my JLR with a Mopar lift and the 2.5+ inches is just barely enough and required slight mods to the inner fender liners. As far as axle gearing with an automatic trans. ,street 4.10 is marginal, off-road it works. FYI, IMHO I will not dump money(gears, shafts,whatever) into an axle housing that has been well shown to be problematic in handling 37" and bigger tires. The Recon axles are said to be stronger than the Rubicon 44's. If the front axle still has the FAD housing and plastic in the Ball Joints, it's still not strong enough. Time will tell about the rear axles strength if the tubes are thicker. I concider my stock Rubicon D44's to be ticking time bombs and wheel as gently as possible :facepalm: when a spotter says bump it or send it. I ask for a tug or pull my winch cable. By far better than breaking on the trail.
Really??? I ran 35 inch good year MT/Rs on a Dana 30 and 35 with 4.88s for a decade and broke nothing... if you are scared of 37s on Dana 44s then you must be pretty new to off roading...

J_Winslow

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
haha, I started 4 wheeling in 1972 with '52 Willys p/u , 283 chevy and 9.00-16 Armstrong NDT military tires and broke everything including my $1.75 hr. income. 36" tires son, probably before you where born.
Then you should know 37s aren't going to break a d44 unless you go full retard. Afterall full retard breaks everything

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Then you should know 37s aren't going to break a d44 unless you go full retard. Afterall full retard breaks everything
i think the point is gearing too high on a D44 being a compromise on strength, not the axle shaft or housing.

After a certain point you get less strength from your ring and pinion unless you have a larger differential housing and can stuff physically larger gears in to get to the ratio you want.

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Really??? I ran 35 inch good year MT/Rs on a Dana 30 and 35 with 4.88s for a decade and broke nothing... if you are scared of 37s on Dana 44s then you must be pretty new to off roading...
I wouldn’t be so sure….

I bent my Dana 44 front axle with a hit to a large pothole covered by snow going 10mph running 37” BFG K02s. Had less than 1500 miles on the 2022 JLU Rubicon. There is a big difference in leverage from 35-37” tires on those axle housings. I didn’t even bend mine on the FAD, it bent right next to the C on the drivers side. Now the bend isn’t too bad and is still driveable, but it still happened and it was a minor hit.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
I wouldn’t be so sure….

I bent my Dana 44 front axle with a hit to a large pothole covered by snow going 10mph running 37” BFG K02s. Had less than 1500 miles on the 2022 JLU Rubicon. There is a big difference in leverage from 35-37” tires on those axle housings. I didn’t even bend mine on the FAD, it bent right next to the C on the drivers side. Now the bend isn’t too bad and is still driveable, but it still happened and it was a minor hit.
I took a 30mph hit to the front wheel of my D30 on my Jk With big 35s that didn’t bend the Diff but it took out my control arm brackets.
Sponsored