Sponsored

3.6 engine and 87 octane a no-no

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
So having read through this entire thread about the ESS and evil government overreach complaining and such, it seems ot me a simple solution, either don't buy a vehicle with ESS or just hit the off switch before you drive away.

Everybody can relax about the black helicopters coming for you. The govt is doing the best it can to minimize harmful auto emissions and wasting of gas. It's not easy in America where the population is by default conspiracy minded, afraid of change, and sadly just plain ignorant.

Here's a fun fact. There is about 50 years worth of oil left in the ground at current consumption rates. So by roughly 2071, everyone on the planet will have to figure out some other fuel source. A little bit of conservation now buys us all some time. Just imagine if everyone's vehicle had ESS and shut down instead of idling at long stop lights, in traffic, etc. Multiplied by the millions upon millions of cars on the road every day, that would really be something in terms of limiting emissions and saving fuel.
KCMkucT.jpg
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The current 3.6L are pretty high compression at 11.3:1 and combined with marginal octane gas some knock is expected.

It's why the engine has a knock sensor, and why it's written in the manual.

Don't like it? Run higher octane or experiment with where you buy gas as you may get better results.

Don't care? Run 87 and turn the stereo up another 2 or 3 notches.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I can't wade through 9 pages of memes. I have to deal with enough of those on facebook.

but my input.. I had pinging issues with a manual trans where you might shift at lower rpms or lug a bit more than that fancy 8 speed auto trans. A catch-can resolved it completely.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Well, mine runs fine on 87 octane even in the summer hauling a 3k pound travel trailer. I tried 91 octane a couple of times and did not notice any difference.
YMMV.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Damn, and I’ve been using 85. My engine must be shit and I didn’t even realise it!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
87 octane?!?! Heck I'm running 85 octane here in UT because that's the cheap stuff and I have had no problems with it.

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
Damn, and I’ve been using 85. My engine must be shit and I didn’t even realise it!
We are blessed with elevation. Low elevation may need 91 to avoid any pinging. I ran 85 in my vette that required 91 to avoid pinging when I was in the middle of nowhere at elevation when 85 was all they had and it ran with no difference. Wouldn't try that in FL, CA, other low elevations though. That said, even though I'm at 6200 high I do put 87 in my JL because I follow their rules until warranties are up.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
We are blessed with elevation. Low elevation may need 91 to avoid any pinging. I ran 85 in my vette that required 91 to avoid pinging when I was in the middle of nowhere at elevation when 85 was all they had and it ran with no difference. Wouldn't try that in FL, CA, other low elevations though. That said, even though I'm at 6200 high I do put 87 in my JL because I follow their rules until warranties are up.
Just read the 87 octane wrranty stuff on our 3.6L engines and I agree that would be wise to bump it to 87 over 85 and pay the couple extra bucks. Here in Hurricane UT it's 3200' elevation. What's the magic number where once you get below that elevation you really shoulod be running 87.

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
Just read the 87 octane wrranty stuff on our 3.6L engines and I agree that would be wise to bump it to 87 over 85 and pay the couple extra bucks. Here in Hurricane UT it's 3200' elevation. What's the magic number where once you get below that elevation you really shoulod be running 87.
I don't know the magic elevation number. I'm usually in the 5000+ range. I think I read in this thread where someone from Salt Lake City says they get away with 85 without pinging in their JL so that would be 4200 or so. I popped the 85 in my vette in WY at 5000 or so outside of Lusk and drove into Spearfish SD at 3600 elevation wo/ping but went to 91 to top off and bring up the mix as soon as I got there. The JL is a different animal than the Vette LS1 was. Just saying that elevation might be an issue with octane/ping differences across JL experiences.

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
it's supposed to be less likely to ping upon cold startup. Mine doesn't seem to at that point. The fuel ratio is richer during this time...plus the idle speed is bit higher ...i wouldn't be able to hear it over that..I don't get to hear any pings until about 5 min later once its somewhere @ the 170 f temp range..under load only, and under 2000 rpm . The pinging is there for a moment until the engine management backs timing off and seems advance it back again as if though its just forgotten a second ago that it just suffered from predetonation . I can feel the engine jerking a bit (again not a lot but something u can feel as driver mostly)during this time. As soon as i hit the 2000 rpm range it al disappears and its almost as if a turbo kicked in.
it's supposed to be less likely to ping upon cold startup. Mine doesn't seem to at that point. The fuel ratio is richer during this time...plus the idle speed is bit higher ...i wouldn't be able to hear it over that..I don't get to hear any pings until about 5 min later once its somewhere @ the 170 f temp range..under load only, and under 2000 rpm . The pinging is there for a moment until the engine management backs timing off and seems advance it back again as if though its just forgotten a second ago that it just suffered from predetonation . I can feel the engine jerking a bit (again not a lot but something u can feel as driver mostly)during this time. As soon as i hit the 2000 rpm range it al disappears and its almost as if a turbo kicked in.
Exactly same as mine. 2020 jl manual. Use only 89 octane as daily driver. 93 when on road trips. Pinging next to nothing now

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I can't wade through 9 pages of memes. I have to deal with enough of those on facebook.

but my input.. I had pinging issues with a manual trans where you might shift at lower rpms or lug a bit more than that fancy 8 speed auto trans. A catch-can resolved it completely.
I posted one meme. One meme only.
Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6 engine and 87 octane a no-no 1606768592320

Ok, two now. But I couldn't resist. :LOL:

On a more serious note, you may have finally found a reason that makes sense to me for a catch can.
Sponsored