2.0 coolant top off frequency

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Probably leaking from hose clamp. They are not the best and can leave you stranded.
Check for discoloration around the hoses.

Also, your Jeep can benefit greatly.... if you change out the rubber hoses -for hi-temp silicone replacements. Not sure why Jeep is still utilizing rubber hoses in a such a potentionally hot engine compartment.

Changed mine to properly sized constant-tension hose clamps & hi temp reinforced silicone hoses.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 coolant top off frequency 1650480842619

Better to get the 50/50 premix......Ever since COVID....distilled water is expensive and harder to find.
Sponsored

Last edited:

haligen

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Rubicon
How did you diagnose the leak location? Was there evidence a trail?
Nothing visible on the ground but when you move the mess of hoses and look down towards the diff I could see the pink staining And some accumulation on top of the diff itself. Initial when I added water after over heating it was also leaking out of the hose in the bottom of the reservoir. After fiddling with it a bit that particular leak seems to have sealed back up.

rhocking

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2.0T JLU Sport S
Late 2020 2.0L Unlimited Sport S and coolant reservoir to the rear (right side) of engine is black not translucent (very annoying). There appears to be a second translucent coolant reservoir in the front right side. Manual says this is intercooler coolant reservoir.

Should I be topping both of these up with the same coolant?
Same frequency or does one need to be topped off more frequently?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Just filled mine, took maybe 12-14 oz to get it up to Full mark. I got the 50/50 stuff at dealer, was about $22 for a gallon of the stuff.

Will keep an eye on it and see what happens but I haven't seen any on the ground and I just changed the oil and inspected the undercarriage so I am pretty sure I would have noticed anything weird. But pays to keep an eye on it now.

rhocking

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2.0T JLU Sport S
Should I be topping both of these up with the same coolant?
Same frequency or does one need to be topped off more frequently?
Just filled mine, took maybe 12-14 oz to get it up to Full mark. I got the 50/50 stuff at dealer, was about $22 for a gallon of the stuff.
MIne is very low (rear reservoir) but only a bit below Max on the front reservoir, hence my questions about whether it is the same coolant and frequency.

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
what coolant are you using? i cant find the mopar coolant anywhere, I was looking to top it off with Zerex G-05. Is it ok to top it off with different coolant brand?
Use only MOPAR OAT 50/50 mix Antifreeze. Your Wrangler Dealer, or Amazon carries it.

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Y'all made me check my coolant tank (Black with dipstick) and sure enough its VERY low. Intercooler reservoir is full. Ordered some Mopar 10YR 50/50 OAT coolant to fill it back up. I have experienced no overheating at all.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I too checked mine at 20,000 miles - was below the dip stick - added a bit more than a quart. Never have smelled any coolant. I’m will check it more frequently going forward. I’m glad the OP brought this up….

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Thanks for the heads up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Quinn99

Quinn99

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara, Chief Blue
Low coolant levels in the rear/opaque tank are common it seems. So what’s going on? Do we all have leaks or is coolant in this system a consumable in some way? I looked pretty carefully and don’t see evidence of a leak—no pink trails or puddles anywhere. Not a big deal to check and top off, I suppose, but if there is a leak it would be better to fix it.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
No leak (that I can find) in mine, but it was a little low.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Got a pic of the location of this opaque tank lid? Did I miss it?

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
I just checked mine tonight (for the first time) at 15k miles while changing my oil. It was low as well. Didn’t have to add too much to bring up to full, but the dipstick was dry. Weird. Luckily I had pre diluted Mopar OAT on hand from my 2017 JKUR.
Sponsored