Got the V41 recall work done

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
So my 2018 JLUR is part of this recall but I never had the wobble issue, shall I risk it and get the parts replaced and hope they do the work correctly or just leave it untouched? I do have lifetime maxcare, would they fix it under recall if I develop this wobble say a few years down the road?
Yes, recalls never expire. Supposedly the issue only happens in temperatures below 40.
Sponsored

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Dealer installed the new dampener yesterday on my Mopar lifted JLU, and it made a nice difference. Steering is stiffer and not so light, which helps on the highway when it's windy. I never had a wobble, but the new feel inspires more confidence at high speed.

Looks like they also installed new ball joints on both steering knuckles, circled in the picture below. That's not my Jeep, pic is just for reference.
Untitled.png

hicksx3

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Rubicon Unlimited
Are you planning on going back to the dealer? We are happy to escalate a case for you so that one of our case managers can help get this resolved. Feel free to send us a private message with your VIN if you are interested.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
No the dealer is 20+ hours away. I ended up flipping it in my driveway. It is WAY better just not as good as before the recall. I called the dealership that installed it upside down and they told me to take it to a local dealership. I told them they have a mechanic installing it wrong and they said "Ow".

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
Can anyone confirm that Revision 2 is the most current version of the Dealer Service Instructions?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I was in the same boat, a 2018 JLUR with zero wobble and great steering. Still, I was part of the recall and got it done. The dealer put it on correctly, and I was shocked that the steering felt even more improved.

Seriously, I would recommend you get it done. Most likely the dealer will install correctly, and if not, its probably a 5 - 10 minute operation for them to fix. Or even the most rudimentary home mechanic could fix in as little time with basic tools.

Get it done, you won't regret it, and it won't mess up your steering. I promise...
Echo your post 100%
Got mine done this morning, installed correctly (yahoo!), and my 2019 2dr had zero issues too, but it does feel even better.

Just be sure to confirm proper orientation, if it's installed upside down be sure to install it properly as the shock can get damaged installed that way.

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Echo your post 100%
Got mine done this morning, installed correctly (yahoo!), and my 2019 2dr had zero issues too, but it does feel even better.

Just be sure to confirm proper orientation, if it's installed upside down be sure to install it properly as the shock can get damaged installed that way.
Right?! At the end of the day, it can't make it worse and its just a better part in general. Doesn't make much sense to still be on the fence at this point.

Last edited:

MarkK10

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 1999 F250 Diesel, 2007 Mustang GT, 2015 Escape
How long was it on incorrectly?

According to FCA, incorrect install could damage the part.

Capture.PNG
Token - I have discovered that the steering damper on my Jeep replaced under F41 was installed incorrectly. It was done at the dealership prior to my purchase. Could you tell me what the source of your screen shot is that states that incorrect installation may cause damage? I am expecting pushback from the dealer when I tell them to install a new damper and want to have ammunition to back up my request. Thanks. Mark

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Dealer installed the new dampener yesterday on my Mopar lifted JLU, and it made a nice difference. Steering is stiffer and not so light, which helps on the highway when it's windy. I never had a wobble, but the new feel inspires more confidence at high speed.

Looks like they also installed new ball joints on both steering knuckles, circled in the picture below. That's not my Jeep, pic is just for reference.
Untitled.png
This is the first I've heard of new ball joints, has anyone else had that?

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
This is the first I've heard of new ball joints, has anyone else had that?
New ball joints are definitely NOT part of the recall, but maybe the dealer saw a chance to upcharge FCA some related work "under warranty."

wpwood3

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue, 2010 Toyota Sequoia
Had my SS installed at the dealer per the recall yesterday. They installed it upside down so I had to return and have them fix that. Also had them do a Jeep Wave oil change. To my surprise they put in 5 quarts this time instead of 6 quarts last time. Yay! It has taken 2 years for them to learn how much oil the 3.6L JL takes.

My stock 2018 (Aug 2018 build) JLUR did not have major steering problems before the SS was replaced but, it is a little better now. It’s not as twitchy and seems to track better at highway speeds.

Sponsored

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Token - I have discovered that the steering damper on my Jeep replaced under F41 was installed incorrectly. It was done at the dealership prior to my purchase. Could you tell me what the source of your screen shot is that states that incorrect installation may cause damage? I am expecting pushback from the dealer when I tell them to install a new damper and want to have ammunition to back up my request. Thanks. Mark
That's a screenshot from the Mopar Service Library.
Every dealer tech has access.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Got the V41 done today just cuz I had the time. I've had my JLU for 17 months and only occasionally felt a wobble. (Nothing like a real death wobble which I experienced a few times in my JKU.) I only went a few short miles after the change, but it felt a little tighter. I've never had the wandering or loose steering that others have had, though.

macolle

First Name
Ang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara / Unlimited
We're in line for the V41 with intense death wobbles above 60 (totally stock 2019 Sahara). My GF wont even drive it. Curious to see how others respond to the fix as well.

Farrish1237

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB JLU
Got my V41 recall done last week. The new replacement steering stabilizer fixed the wobble in the steering when hitting bumps at low speed, even though the recall is to fix possible DW at high speeds. Before the recall I did install a Steer Smarts track bar which took car of a multitude of issues at high speeds. All good now. Not really happy with location of steering stabilizer located BELOW the tie rod bar, so I am relocating it and installing a Fox 2.0 and the Synergy Steering stabilizer relocation kit. Can purchase this at Quadratec for those interested. I have seen too many of these damaged in the original location on the JL on easy/moderate trails.

Saw the below on a different post, so make sure the new steering stabilizer is installed correctly! The stabilizer has stickers to point to the front (which can be turned), so make sure the 'bulge' is facing the road.

screenshot_20191113-204256_chrome-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: