Sponsored

3.6 l Engine Oil Type

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Well I assume my JLU and my wife’s Grand Cherokee are going to blow up soon. I’m running Valvoline Full Synthetic Advanced with wix filters!
Sponsored

Duluth Diesel

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy’s Sport
Not trying to step in the AMSOIL discussion about running it as long as possible. I run AMSOIL signature series because it is a very superior synthetic product and I change it when the Jeep tells me I’m around 10% oil life. I realize the oil at that point (and AMSOIL filter) still have life left, but I’m not in this to see how many miles I can squeeze out of 5 quarts of oil. I’m running AMSOIL and changing it as recommended to maximize protection and life of my 3.6. To me, top tier oil is cheap insurance. And their lookup guide makes it easy to find what you need. I run it in my wife’s Nissan and in my Ram 6.4 2500 as well.

AMSOIL Lookup Guide

Deleted member 53226

I usually don't respond to oil threads but I will share my two cents, which I have posted before on other "which oil is best" but this is such good info coming from me that it's worth posting again. In fact I may just post this on every oil thread I come across:

I use that Amsoil stuff after reading over one million posts by Amsoil fans over the years. If Amsoil synthetic is not available, I'll buy the other big name brands. If I can find an oil that is colored purple or some other cool color, I'll buy that because it must be the best stuff.

I never buy the oil on sale because that means it's stale or near its expiration date. Just think about it. Why else would it be on sale? Would you drink milk after its expiration date? Of course not. I am too smart to fall for that scam. Buy from the store or online vendor with the highest prices. That's the good stuff. If I can pay at least $15 or $20 per quart, then I know it's going be a good oil.

With the Amsoil, like others state on forum threads, all my engine problems went away immediately and I gained around 25HP. Like magic. No ticking or other noises. Sometimes I am not even sure the engine is running its so quiet. I usually have to stick my hand down near the drive belts to feel if they are running. My windshield wipers also improved dramatically. Headlights are brighter too.

I change the oil and filter every 75 miles or 5 days just to be sure I am always getting maximum protection. Why run your beloved vehicle on used up garbage oil? Makes no sense at all. If I can't get it done on the scheduled day, my wife and/or 9 year old child know to change the oil/filter for me, so they can avoid my rage at the thought of running an engine even one day with old useless oil in it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Well I assume my JLU and my wife’s Grand Cherokee are going to blow up soon. I’m running Valvoline Full Synthetic Advanced with wix filters!
Napa brand oil with Napa Gold filters would likely save you a bit of money, and are the exact same products.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Oil probably has only a couple million years shelf life, so you really need to look for that expiration date. ;)

Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I buy my Mopar oil filter from the same dealership each time. No doubt about tracking it if Jeep wanted to. 0w20 Penzoil Platinum. Oil cap on engine says 0w20. Penzoil bottle says it meets Chrysler standard. But get this, I have no idea how often I change because I only change it when the Jeep computer tells me to. Screw the old mentality of every 3k, 5k or whatever. Same for my other vehicle, it tells me when with a code and it, I let the dealership do it(not FCA brand).

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I buy my Mopar oil filter from the same dealership each time. No doubt about tracking it if Jeep wanted to. 0w20 Penzoil Platinum. Oil cap on engine says 0w20. Penzoil bottle says it meets Chrysler standard. But get this, I have no idea how often I change because I only change it when the Jeep computer tells me to. Screw the old mentality of every 3k, 5k or whatever. Same for my other vehicle, it tells me when with a code and it, I let the dealership do it(not FCA brand).
@TxJeepers

Not real wise going by the "Jeep Computer"... I would not do that, that is for sure... to each his own..

Funny, the dealers still change based on accumulated mileage since last oil change..

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
@TxJeepers

Not real wise going by the "Jeep Computer"... I would not do that, that is for sure... to each his own..

Funny, the dealers still change based on accumulated mileage since last oil change..
Yes, each their own. Maintenance manuals from the companies that provide the warranty (in my case Jeep and Honda) both state to follow the computer. Computers that are running calculations based on actual data and not arbitrary lines drawn in the sand. But yeah, dealerships and the oil companies sure appreciate all the money they make off you guys who do it at set mileages.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yes, each their own. Maintenance manuals from the companies that provide the warranty (in my case Jeep and Honda) both state to follow the computer. Computers that are running calculations based on actual data and not arbitrary lines drawn in the sand. But yeah, dealerships and the oil companies sure appreciate all the money they make off you guys who do it at set mileages.
From the guy/you that pays the stealerships to change his oil.... Talking about pissing away $ needlessly.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum every 7,500 miles. Sticking with 0W20 and Mopar filters until the warranty runs out. I track all maintenance and mods in a Google Doc. Probably not a perfect plan, but a sensible one for my needs.

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum every 7,500 miles. Sticking with 0W20 and Mopar filters until the warranty runs out. I track all maintenance and mods in a Google Doc. Probably not a perfect plan, but a sensible one for my needs.
I'm doing the same thing for both our JLUs. I also take a pic (scan) of the receipts and save them along w/ the Google spreadsheet.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
First week of April 1x per year. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 and Mopar filter. Almost due to do it again and I'll be good for another year.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
First week of April 1x per year. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 and Mopar filter. Almost due to do it again and I'll be good for another year.
What, do you not drive your Jeep at all?

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
I might try Mobil 1 EP next oil change on the wrangler. Only because the base oil is supposed to be mostly Grade IV on the 0w20 version of it. Doubt I’ll notice a difference but Pennzoil ultra and Mobil 1 Ep usually go on sale for the same price

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Pennzoil Ultra platinum 0W20 in my JLR, and 5W30 in my JKR, with Mopar oil filters. I change mine every 5000 miles, along with tire rotations.
Sponsored