Engine oil type and amount

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Here’s a better question for you where in manual does it say 6 ? , You and your jeep Dealer both disagree with our 5 quart recommendation so you must have a reason for disagreeing so ask your jeep dealer that put in 6 to show you the documentation or show us a manual where it says 6 we all say 5 prove us wrong.
Why do we have to prove to you that we are right ?
I didn’t ask them to put in 6. They just did. Not saying I disagree. Just want to know where it’s written so I can show them.
Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I didn’t ask them to put in 6. They just did. Not saying I disagree. Just want to know where it’s written so I can show them.
Honestly get out your owners manual and read it , take it to the dealer and let him read it all your questions will be answered. Asking for opinions on the Internet is not going to satisfy your curiosity and it certainly won’t satisfy the dealer. walk in the dealer with your owners manual and show him and you will both know for sure.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly get out your owners manual and read it , take it to the dealer and let him read it all your questions will be answered. Asking for opinions on the Internet is not going to satisfy your curiosity and it certainly won’t satisfy the dealer. walk in the dealer with your owners manual and show him and you will both know for sure.
I’ve been looking through the manual -pdf version that I have - and done see where it says five quarts. I only see that it says to the fill line. That’s why I’m asking where. I don’t see it.
But I would think they would know. That’s why I’m surprised.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I’ve been looking through the manual -pdf version that I have - and done see where it says five quarts. I only see that it says to the fill line. That’s why I’m asking where. I don’t see it.
But I would think they would know. That’s why I’m surprised.

Look in the Index under Fluid Capacities.

330F3572-8E9E-453E-869E-B1EABF966E32.jpeg

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Called the dealer. They called Chrysler and told me the engine is 6 quarts and that the manual is a typo.
So we’ll see if that gets amended somewhere down the road.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Wow.. so now even Chrysler have folks you call don't even know? This is worse than I thought :( ... I did mine and put 5 in per the manual and it is at the full mark like so many others. No arguing with that.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Called the dealer. They called Chrysler and told me the engine is 6 quarts and that the manual is a typo.
So we’ll see if that gets amended somewhere down the road.
Please check it ASAP or have someone you trust do so. Overfilled systems can cause air bubbles/foaming in the oil and you don't want that circulating as well as slapping around the crankshaft. Just make it right if you really want to maintain your ride properly.

This is what 5 quarts should look like on the dipstick. No more.. no less.

IMG_5637.jpg

View attachment 143301

IMG_5642.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Please check it ASAP or have someone you trust do so. Overfilled systems can cause air bubbles/foaming in the oil and you don't want that circulating as well as slapping around the crankshaft. Just make it right if you really want to maintain your ride properly.

This is what 5 quarts should look like on the dipstick. No more.. no less.

IMG_5637.jpg

View attachment 143301

IMG_5642.jpg
This makes no sense. If you search the threads there are two factors - some people have reported putting 5 in and confirming the dipstick shows the oil is exactly to the fill line ie: 6 would make it overfull as the photo shows. Second - people are own JKs say the oil pan on the JL is distinctively smaller ie: direct evidence the JL only takes 5.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This makes no sense. If you search the threads there are two factors - some people have reported putting 5 in and confirming the dipstick shows the oil is exactly to the fill line ie: 6 would make it overfull as the photo shows. Second - people are own JKs say the oil pan on the JL is distinctively smaller ie: direct evidence the JL only takes 5.
Get this.
I called FCA and they told me 6 quarts.
I’m going out to check now

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get this.
I called FCA and they told me 6 quarts.
I’m going out to check now
I dont understand how to read the dipstick as there are no markings.
If there are no markings. Kinda hard to see. May have to do in the light tomorrow
upload_2019-2-15_18-6-55.jpeg

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
That is 5 quarts (I filled it myself) and the picture is a bit difficult to see but when you see it in person it is right at the end of the full mark i.e. crosshatch area maybe just a tad above. Others that have had 6 put in will be beyond the tip upper point and up the wire at some point.

Hope that makes sense. They are hard to see either way and takes a few pulls/wipes to get confidence. Best thing is to make sure it only gets 5. That eliminates any doubt. If it gets 6 it is way overfull.

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
If there are no markings. Kinda hard to see. May have to do in the light tomorrow
First off, these dipsticks are terrible! Second - it is true what the manual says in that you need to check when engine is hot and after it's been sitting for at least 10 mins. I checked when cold (appeared overfilled) and checked after five minutes of sitting (underfilled). Second - always read the side with the lower reading. It should be around where the top dot is. If you can feel a decent amount of oil above the dot and going up the cable, it is overfilled.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Check it in the light after it sits for for a 1/2 hr just to be sure on level ground. Pull & wipe a few times rechecking till you are sure of what you see. It is not the best dipstick to see with clean oil.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First off, these dipsticks are terrible! Second - it is true what the manual says in that you need to check when engine is hot and after it's been sitting for at least 10 mins. I checked when cold (appeared overfilled) and checked after five minutes of sitting (underfilled). Second - always read the side with the lower reading. It should be around where the top dot is. If you can feel a decent amount of oil above the dot and going up the cable, it is overfilled.
Ok. This is very helpful. Thank you. I’ll try again in the morning and see what it is.
Sponsored