Sponsored

Engine oil type and amount

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
From FCA press release when they introduced the 2nd Gen Pentastar...

"Windage-tray weight was slashed by 19 percent and front-cover weight was cut by 5 percent. The oil pan was redesigned from a two-piece to a single-piece pan and the sump was reduced from a 6-quart fill to a 5-quart fill – resulting in an overall 5-pound weight savings compared with the previous generation Pentastar V-6 engine."
Sponsored

Last edited:

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Besides, Jeep would not take the liability and put the wrong amount in the owner’s manual.
Eh, they've made that mistake before.

Jeep printed GL-5 for fluid requirement during the early TJ years for the manual transmission, when it actually needed GL-3, which is not compatible with GL-5. Major error which they had to issue an amendment to address the typo.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
From FCA press release when they introduced the 2nd Gen Pentastar...

"The oil pan was redesigned from a two-piece to a single-piece pan and the sump was reduced from a 6-quart fill to a 5-quart fill – resulting in an overall 5-pound weight savings compared with the previous generation Pentastar V-6 engine."
@SecondTJ

I remember reading this and another similar press release.

This whole thing / forum rumor, that there was a typo in the manual and the JL, takes 6 quarts of oil not 5 is laughable at best.

@LLRubylady

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
@SecondTJ

I remember reading this and another similar press release.

This whole thing / forum rumor, that there was a typo in the manual and the JL, takes 6 quarts of oil not 5 is laughable at best.

@LLRubylady

Update
Found the press release and emailed the dealer. He returned an email- you are correct. 5 quarts of oil is correct. They told me to stop down and they’ll suck out the extra quart.
I am shocked beyond belief that three didn’t know until I pointed it out yesterday. I feel bad for all the folks that have been having their oil changes by them.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Update
Found the press release and emailed the dealer. He returned an email- you are correct. 5 quarts of oil is correct. They told me to stop down and they’ll suck out the extra quart.
I am shocked beyond belief that three didn’t know until I pointed it out yesterday. I feel bad for all the folks that have been having their oil changes by them.
This is why I’m glad to have access to an entire forum dedicated to a single vehicle model because Chrysler dealerships are overwhelmingly incompetent.

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Well got my quart of oil drained out. The guys in the service department were very apologetic. But now they are aware. Told me they had no idea. I can only think of all the people that have had their oil changed and overfilled without a clue.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well got my quart of oil drained out. The guys in the service department were very apologetic. But now they are aware. Told me they had no idea. I can only think of all the people that have had their oil changed and overfilled without a clue.
@LLRubylady

I absolutely love it! ..... a woman set them straight
... Good for you!

By the way, there is no reason you cannot do your own oil changes. The JL in particular is very very easy to do an oil change on. And I mean easy.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Yet another reason why I consider this forum "the owner's manual." My first service trip to the dealer a couple weeks ago netted me 6 qts, dangerously tight tuner lugs way past spec, and a faulty tire valve that they failed to check for during a wheel replacement. Two trips for routine service to have them to replace the valve. This is my first experience with seemingly-amateurish service from a dealer. It was one visit, but enough to give me pause.

I've recently started acquiring what I need to start changing the oil on my own again & rotating the tires.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Yet another reason why I consider this forum "the owner's manual." My first service trip to the dealer a couple weeks ago netted me 6 qts, dangerously tight tuner lugs way past spec, and a faulty tire valve that they failed to check for during a wheel replacement. Two trips for routine service to have them to replace the valve. This is my first experience with seemingly-amateurish service from a dealer. It was one visit, but enough to give me pause.

I've recently started acquiring what I need to start changing the oil on my own again & rotating the tires.
Yes it’s true you can get a lot of valuable information from these forms but like your dealer experience there’s a lot of miss information that goes around on the Internet and these forms as well. Your owners manual is still your best and most reliable source of information . there was no misprint in the owners manual the misprint is in the dealers head. The owners manual has been always correct the dealers never had any written documentation that shows 6 they were just always using the JK specifications there’s really no confusion.
I have been reading these forums for many many years and have witnessed many back-and-forth arguments in the forums which ended Immediately by a quick screenshot from the owners manual with real facts.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes it’s true you can get a lot of valuable information from these forms but like your dealer experience there’s a lot of miss information that goes around on the Internet and these forms as well. Your owners manual is still your best and most reliable source of information . there was no misprint in the owners manual the misprint is in the dealers head. The owners manual has been always correct the dealers never had any written documentation that shows 6 they were just always using the JK specifications there’s really no confusion.
I have been reading these forums for many many years and have witnessed many back-and-forth arguments in the forums which ended Immediately by a quick screenshot from the owners manual with real facts.

@Solidaxle

I hear ya about the owner's manual... but .......... did you know the 2018 JL manual is on like the 3rd revision. Revised as they fixed errors, added additional info, took erroneous stuff out.

Anyway, now a days I use/check any and all sources before I take the leap so to speak.

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Well, if you follow the owners manual and have a problem you have a legal leg to stand on , if you follow some fourms on the Internet and have problems it could get complicated. Anyway to each their own.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The new oil pan is cute. Y'all should crawl under and look at it. It's the smallest oil pan I've ever seen in my life. It looks like it belongs on an ATV or something. :CWL:

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Reading your ticket it all looks correct with the exception of the Synthetic.. Dealerships use a 5w20 blend now. The dealership has it coded for the Wave Program service, so its a set rate for them..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reading your ticket it all looks correct with the exception of the Synthetic.. Dealerships use a 5w20 blend now. The dealership has it coded for the Wave Program service, so its a set rate for them..
@ECHO

Much of what you have posted is incorrect. You are mistaken.... or perhaps you typoed.

Yes, 4 free oil changes are pointed to the Wave Program..

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
@ECHO

Much of what you have posted is incorrect. You are mistaken.... or perhaps you typoed.

Yes, 4 free oil changes are pointed to the Wave Program..
What I was pointing out, was that his ticket was for a Wave Program Service, so its a set price for the dealership to claim. What else was incorrect?
Sponsored