Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
That same type of incident alone in your own driveway or yard would likely be fatal alone. While the pony express trail is 550 miles long, I really don't envision a spot where you'd be 100's of miles from anything, I-80 basically runs the same route. Just because people choose to run the trail that entire distance doesn't mean you couldn't take a left or right and be at a freeway within minutes. Yes the worst case scenario could happen and kill you on the trail, but that could also happen at work, in the home, or on the freeway. Calculated risk. And the freezing rain would fall into weather extremes where we don't go out alone.
not really sure this is true. With the map scale set at 10 miles, I can see several places where the walk would be a hundred miles to I80. And not an easy 100 mile walk at that.

Jeep Wrangler JL Insight needed from Rubicon owners Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 7.23.45 AM
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
not really sure this is true. With the map scale set at 10 miles, I can see several places where the walk would be a hundred miles to I80. And not an easy 100 mile walk at that.

Jeep Wrangler JL Insight needed from Rubicon owners Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 7.23.45 AM
The point on your map where you are the farthest from I-80 is...8 minutes from a campground. The illusion of remoteness doesn't put you hundreds of miles from help. A lot of these trails literally pass within a few hundred yards of people's homes. I don't have personal experience with the pony express trail, but I guarantee that the people camping in and servicing the campgrounds that are within minutes of the trail aren't packing 45 gallons of fuel and driving to salt lake for supplies.
Screenshot_20210129-051248_Maps.jpg

OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Congrats on the order!
That will be an awesome looking Jeep. Snazzberry with the painted flares looks great. I probably would have gotten that color if it was out when I ordered mine.
Coming from a JK, you’ll love the JL
My wife’s advice on “wait one more year to replace your Jeep” was first on deaf ears but I’m glad I came around and listened.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
disagree it is luck. Even the most experienced drivers can get themselves in trouble that they can't get out of.
I am one that does not wheel alone. There are far to many examples of things gone wrong.
Humility is the beginning of wisdom. Acknowledging the intervention of good fortune (luck) is the beginning of humility.
Jeep Wrangler JL Insight needed from Rubicon owners Humility

Last edited:

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
I wasn't even the only stock Rubi on that trip.
You have a good start. Love the mall rated badge. Have done every one of those except the right most collumn in my old, locked XJ with chassis stiffeners, (=) number of times done, add Elephant Hill (4+once at night), Rose Garden Hill (3), Moab Rim (3+once at night), Golden spike (2) and Hole in the Rock (1, in 2004) all on 31s. So far, my TJR on 33s does everything easier with the exception of its short wheel base the Cherokee didn't experience. For me, the short wheel base is more fun to wheel, but steps can get too big so, winches and straps are utilized. 17 years ago watched a ZJ on 33s effortlessly climb the Widow Maker bypass on Metal Masher. Have video of an XJ on 32s easing up Pritchett Canyon. I posted this to assure you JL people that your new rigs are no less capable than the old stuff ;-) Wheel on!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I needed a winch, once. Trouble was it needed to be on the rear bumper. Got center hung with fronts hanging over a blind drop off, rears in sand. Spent the night trying a come-along solution without success. Left about 4am, walked 8 miles out of Lockhart during solstice, 98 degrees before noon. Once on tarmac, walking another hour, caught a ride with a ranger going to Monticello, (extraordinary fortune). Sheriff in Monticello drove the 50 some miles back to pull me off. A small pickup with my rear locker assisting could have done it, but none around. Donated a couple hundred to search and rescue. Wonderful people.

Smartest set up for using a winch is to mount one on a removable plate and fair lead. This allows one to plug the winch into a receiver in the bumper. If no hitch pin is available use the handle of a ratchet; hook up electrical from simple on/off switch; swap poles at battery if using a two wire such as Mile Marker for reversing if needed and if you don't want the expense and complexity of reversing solenoid boxes required for 3 and 4 wire units. Do the same for rear bumper applications. A good tire carrier should support a plate mounted winch, a jack, a come-along, a shovel and two Jerry cans swung from a strong bumper. Nothing FCA offers is going to do that. If you don't want it on a tire carrier you can rig a good front bumper to top carry a plug and play set up out of the way for approach applications. Both bumpers and all attached gear will be stripped in three minutes if you need to park your rig in New Mexico. The police respond only if a State elected official is involved and able give the correct password for help. "Mexico" is not merely coincidentally associated in the state's name. The reason the entire vehicle is not considered for taking is we boot our rigs here, preferably with two or more.
This probably wouldn't have helped, but it may help others:

Outrider1

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None yet
I have a two door Rubicon 2.0 turbo (not the hybrid) with the steel bumpers and some of the mods I have done so far are...Steel tube doors, Replaced rock rails with step type with tube frame sliders and a shade top for when its naked. ALL of those mods were for the wife. All of them are very smart and help in obvious ways.

Added a roof rack, tailgate table (we eat lunch outdoors every day because of Corona virus stuff), Came with Jeep recovery bag, Harbor freight APEX 12000k wench fits into stock steel bumper with a wench plate. (Works great). Custom license plate holder (my state you have to have a front one) Got a fire extinguisher, small cube lights and a Mopar bull bar to protect the top of the wench.

I added a Curt receiver hitch and light kit. (if you have the LED lights the flat 4 light kit is more expensive and requires running a 12v + wire ran to the battery as the LEDs do not use 12 V) works great though. I plan to get the Mopar lift with 35's and some Rancho diff skid plates as the drain plug is right on the bottom and would surely be damaged and may leak or not come out after slammed a few times.

I love the aftermarket stuff that is out there for this Wrangler and the wife and I are adding nice convenient stuff all the time. Cant wait to go out west with it in the fall.

Really like your sliders. Who makes them?

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
This probably wouldn't have helped, but it may help others:
Have always considered this method now that I have a winch. Although the key word here is, "sketchy". I would also seek first opportunity to use the power train rather than to completely winch out. Amazing what only a few inches can do to get out of trouble. In my situation, the only winch point would have been to bury the highlift (in sandstone?) no trees nor convenient boulders to be found. Though, if one is lucky in Utah, a nearby crack may be available to stick a highlift into. So now, in the absence of common sense, a 100 amp AC generator, 80lb jack hammer and post hole digger can be added to the essential off road tool kit. Post hole digger options were available for first generation Broncos.
Jeep Wrangler JL Insight needed from Rubicon owners Options?WeHave Options

Also, served as an effective tailgater extractor.

The best feature of the JTs allows one to bring his own rock pile.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Have always considered this method now that I have a winch. Although the key word here is, "sketchy". I would also seek first opportunity to use the power train rather than to completely winch out. Amazing what only a few inches can do to get out of trouble. In my situation, the only winch point would have been to bury the highlift (in sandstone?) no trees nor convenient boulders to be found. Though, if one is lucky in Utah, a nearby crack may be available to stick a highlift into. So now, in the absence of common sense, a 100 amp AC generator, 80lb jack hammer and post hole digger can be added to the essential off road tool kit. Post hole digger options were available for first generation Broncos.
Jeep Wrangler JL Insight needed from Rubicon owners Options?WeHave Options

Also, served as an effective tailgater extractor.

The best feature of the JTs allows one to bring his own rock pile.
That would be an awesome accessory for the JL. It could double as an emergency brake for those icy downhills... which I could have used last weekend.

cocaine_white

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
As far as everyday comfort goes i have to say one of my favorite things ive done is the one touch auto up windows mod. Having to hold the button the whole time going up was a pita on the street and even more so on the trails. Warn evo vr 10 i think cant be beat for the money. Synergy sector shaft and track bar brace made a noticeable difference in handling. And dont forget the aux switches come with the towing package which also gets you a more powerful alternator

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Thanks! If you see a build like this around DFW in the coming months there is a good chance it is me.
I’m excited for you brother.

I know how long you’ve spent researching, reading and waiting for your new JL. What a monumental event. LOL as I said a few threads ago, the wait is a rite of passage.

Count on a Jeep wave from me!!
Sponsored