Insight needed from Rubicon owners

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
Only other bumpers I would consider besides my Mopar steel is ARB or AEV... AEV is slated for end of this year for new JL’s... oh and I do almost no “ rock crawling” or the like. Dirt roads and Northeast snow is about it . Mopar Steel just looks refined and elegant on the Rubi beast.
For me, I agree, the Mopar front is really great looking, and generally avoid dragging the front and banging it on hard stuff. If I think I need the clearance I take the wings off. I like the LOD rear now that I've looked at it, looks super versatile and the accessories for storage are great for a 2 door guy.
Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
would probably never need it
I needed a winch, once. Trouble was it needed to be on the rear bumper. Got center hung with fronts hanging over a blind drop off, rears in sand. Spent the night trying a come-along solution without success. Left about 4am, walked 8 miles out of Lockhart during solstice, 98 degrees before noon. Once on tarmac, walking another hour, caught a ride with a ranger going to Monticello, (extraordinary fortune). Sheriff in Monticello drove the 50 some miles back to pull me off. A small pickup with my rear locker assisting could have done it, but none around. Donated a couple hundred to search and rescue. Wonderful people.

Smartest set up for using a winch is to mount one on a removable plate and fair lead. This allows one to plug the winch into a receiver in the bumper. If no hitch pin is available use the handle of a ratchet; hook up electrical from simple on/off switch; swap poles at battery if using a two wire such as Mile Marker for reversing if needed and if you don't want the expense and complexity of reversing solenoid boxes required for 3 and 4 wire units. Do the same for rear bumper applications. A good tire carrier should support a plate mounted winch, a jack, a come-along, a shovel and two Jerry cans swung from a strong bumper. Nothing FCA offers is going to do that. If you don't want it on a tire carrier you can rig a good front bumper to top carry a plug and play set up out of the way for approach applications. Both bumpers and all attached gear will be stripped in three minutes if you need to park your rig in New Mexico. The police respond only if a State elected official is involved and able give the correct password for help. "Mexico" is not merely coincidentally associated in the state's name. The reason the entire vehicle is not considered for taking is we boot our rigs here, preferably with two or more.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
I like to wave at other Jeeps
You should know the rules of Jeep waving. The lesser rig must wave first. Ergo, Rubi owners usually wave last unless a built Rubi is approaching. The Rubi rule also applies even if a JL Sahara is approaching a TJ Rubi. A Rubi owner NEVER waves before a Sahara owner waves.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
You should know the rules of Jeep waving. The lesser rig must wave first. Ergo, Rubi owners usually wave last unless a built Rubi is approaching. The Rubi rule also applies even if a JL Sahara is approaching a TJ Rubi. A Rubi owner NEVER waves before a Sahara owner waves.
Call me a snob but I started driving in the CJ5 years and you only waved at other CJs. Jump forward about 50 years, I drive a JKUR, I now only wave at CJs, YJs, TJs, JKs and JL/JT, pretty much if they aren't a bone stock one or some mall crawler loaded with chrome and 20" spinners. Always wave at one that waves at me first. I've noticed in AZ that I can wave at 10 Jeeps before I get one to wave back if they are stock or close to stock. Modified Jeeps always seem to wave back. Females rarely wave back. Go to eastern states like western PA, everyone does the Jeep wave. In Mexico, all Jeeps wave including XJs, ZJs, WJs, SJs, etc. In fact I've seen hands come out of all 4 windows in Mexico when I've coming up on another Jeep. They love their Jeeps south of the border.

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Good wisdom on this thread, I’ll agree that the following are must haves:

-tow/aux
-cold weather Package
- LED
- prox sensor keys
- 8.4 screen - great for CarPlay and Gaia

i daily mine and I really like the following mods

-35” Nitto Ridge grappler
- Sunrider (instant convertible)
- Synergy track bar front and rear, sector shaft brace, rear track relocation bracket - really resolved road wander
- dead pedal
- 67 Designs Mount, holds all my gadgets
- LOD Destroyer sliders

i have a ComeUp 9500 rsi winch, have yet to need it, but I use my recovery bag with d rings, tow strap, recovery strap. I also have a Synergy 2” lift and steering kit waiting on install.

i went with OEM steel bumpers and added a winch guard/bar to hold Mopar 7” LEDs but have yet to use them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I’m really excited about the full time 4wd option.... But I have my doubts...

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I’m really excited about the full time 4wd option.... But I have my doubts...
Not sure that it will be available with the 2 dr. Could be, but I remember something about it not on the 2 dr. Also, we live in TX. Full time AWD is really of no benefit to us. It so rarely gets snowy and icy here that I don't see it as necessary at all. But that's just my opinion.

OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Not sure that it will be available with the 2 dr. Could be, but I remember something about it not on the 2 dr. Also, we live in TX. Full time AWD is really of no benefit to us. It so rarely gets snowy and icy here that I don't see it as necessary at all. But that's just my opinion.
From what I read it kicks into 4wd from 2wd automatically?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
From what I read it kicks into 4wd from 2wd automatically?
Yes and no. It adds a differential to the transfer case so both drive shafts are always spinning. This is why it also gets CVs in the knuckles. So it's like running in 4WD all the time but because of the diff in the middle nothing gets bound up. But it will drink more fuel. And here in Texas it is so rare for me to even spin a tire unless I am trying to be stupid, that it just seems like a waste.

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Recon & 2017 TACO 4WD OFF ROAD
Occupation
Retired
We enjoy Frisco. We come down once a year to watch a football game (except for 2016) and everyone is always really nice. :)

I'm sure all the advice is appreciated. I did a lot of research when I purchased my 13' JKU Sahara and the forums were great for when I started modded it to my liking.

I recently got a 2020 JLUR Recon. It's not my DD but I have been driving it a lot.

The HID lights are GREAT. The Aux switches could not be easier to use. Don't have the adaptive cruise, which I would have liked but I'll survive. The doors feel a lot lighter to me than my 13. I'm assuming aluminum. Even the hardtop with the headliners feels lighter and easier to handle. (I have a hoist so...)

The 8.4 screen and upgraded audio work great. The towing package will work for everything I'll ever tow with the Jeep. The 2.0 with eTorque feels great so far after 1,300 miles. I'm a little worried about reliability, but that is what warranty is for, and when the warranty is getting close to being done, that's when I'll have to make a big decision. (Neighbor is having a hell of a time dealing with Baxter Jeep here in Omaha and an extended warranty they purchased from the dealer on their 2013 JKU Sahara.)

Overall checking the boxes can make a Jeep Wrangler expensive, which is why the Recon package worked best for me.
I also just bought a 2020 JLUR Recon and did not intend it to be my DD. But, I've found that it's so fun to drive that I have neglected to drive my Taco 4WD Off Road at all. The Recon I bought had ALL the options on it and as you can guess, it was in the $60s. The 2.0L runs great on 87 octane and I'm not sure why there's so much hub bub on the importance of using 91 all the time.

I have the adaptive cruise control and it's great when one is feeling lazy on long trips. It keeps your designated distance and brakes when someone ahead slows down abruptly. Never thought I'd like such tech, but it's grown on me.

Love this JLUR, but I'm wary of the 2021 and the possibility of a 392 Hemi becoming available next year. It's a proven engine and the jury is still out on the 2.0L eTech.

Sponsored

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
Are you implying that the v6 in low can’t do that? I don’t see why it couldn’t...but others chime in...

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
I saw on a news blurb that someone from Jeep said the Hemi is a concept vehicle and is not scheduled to go into production.

That goes with Jeep a year ago saying that they could not put a Hemi in the Wrangler because it eliminates the crumple zone area due to the bigger engine. In other words, it can't pass Federal crash test standards without significant changes to the frame and overall structure.

Hate so say it, a supercharged 3.6 would be more likely than any Hemi in the current Wrangler, especially with more stringent CARB requirements in 2022 which is why the Hellcat Durango will only be made in 2021. It won't be able to pass 2022 standards.

OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Good wisdom on this thread, I’ll agree that the following are must haves:

-tow/aux
-cold weather Package
- LED
- prox sensor keys
- 8.4 screen - great for CarPlay and Gaia

i daily mine and I really like the following mods

-35” Nitto Ridge grappler
- Sunrider (instant convertible)
- Synergy track bar front and rear, sector shaft brace, rear track relocation bracket - really resolved road wander
- dead pedal
- 67 Designs Mount, holds all my gadgets
- LOD Destroyer sliders

i have a ComeUp 9500 rsi winch, have yet to need it, but I use my recovery bag with d rings, tow strap, recovery strap. I also have a Synergy 2” lift and steering kit waiting on install.

i went with OEM steel bumpers and added a winch guard/bar to hold Mopar 7” LEDs but have yet to use them.
What winch guard did you get?