Sponsored

Looking for opinions on shocks.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
They are "IFP" shocks, Internal Floating Piston. Like we explain in the Tech Article linked above, the remote reservoir is not just about going fast. $170/each throw away shock with ok performance, or $280/each for great performance, longer lasting and can be rebuilt.
https://accutuneoffroad.com/ifp-vs-remote-reservoir-shocks/
Thanks for the info...I'm interested in buying your rebuildable fox remote reservoir shocks for $280/ea. Please post a link where Accutune offers them for this price. Your current website also seems wrong on this listing because it has the Fox remote reservoir shocks listed at $369/ea. Please advise.

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Thanks for the info...I'm interested in buying your rebuildable fox remote reservoir shocks for $280/ea. Please post a link where Accutune offers them for this price. Your current website also seems wrong on this listing because it has the Fox remote reservoir shocks listed at $369/ea. Please advise.
$280 was an average price for a universal fit IFP shock. Fox has an OEM direct fit 2.0 Remote Reservoir shock that is a little more expensive. Unique hose routing and reservoir bracket make it more expensive.
Front shocks come in pairs:
https://accutuneoffroad.com/product...x-2-0-performance-series-remote-reservoir-jl/

Rear shocks are sold individually:
https://accutuneoffroad.com/product...-series-remote-reservoir-jeep-jl-rear-shocks/

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
$280 was an average price for a universal fit IFP shock. Fox has an OEM direct fit 2.0 Remote Reservoir shock that is a little more expensive. Unique hose routing and reservoir bracket make it more expensive.
Front shocks come in pairs:
https://accutuneoffroad.com/product...x-2-0-performance-series-remote-reservoir-jl/

Rear shocks are sold individually:
https://accutuneoffroad.com/product...-series-remote-reservoir-jeep-jl-rear-shocks/
Ohhh...you forgot to say the $280 Fox reservoir shock you're recommending on a JL forum doesn't bolt on a JL like the Fox IFP. The reservoir option made for a JL is $370/ea. Shelling out $1,480 for non adjustable 2.0" shocks is a tough pill to swallow. :bandit:

Last edited:

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Ohhh...you forgot to say the $280 Fox reservoir shock you're recommending on a JL forum doesn't bolt on a JL like the Fox IFP. The reservoir option made for a JL is $370/ea. Shelling out $1,480 for non adjustable 2.0" shocks is a tough pill to swallow. :bandit:
Yes, apologies for the confusion. The price is on the higher side compared to other sealed shocks on the market. Everyone has their own budget/ride quality preference in mind.

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Based on what I see going on Ultra4 cars, the prices are fairly reasonable. :CWL:

I really like the Fox 2.5 DCS, but that will squeak in at about $2,800. That's about $2,400 more than what's on my Jeep now. Makes MetalCloak's 6pak shocks look more like a bargain. Already tuned for their springs.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Yes, apologies for the confusion. The price is on the higher side compared to other sealed shocks on the market. Everyone has their own budget/ride quality preference in mind.
Based on what I see going on Ultra4 cars, the prices are fairly reasonable. :CWL:

I really like the Fox 2.5 DCS, but that will squeak in at about $2,800. That's about $2,400 more than what's on my Jeep now. Makes MetalCloak's 6pak shocks look more like a bargain. Already tuned for their springs.
:giggle: An extremely experienced offroad shop owner buddy recommended Rough Country's vertex 2.5 adjustable shocks if you want best bang for the buck. He's ran Fox 2.5's and installed and tested practically every brand known to man. He said they are made by Radflo with Rough Country stickers slapped on them. Tough to get past the RC stigma on a shock...but he said they are a great shock considering what you get for less $ than fox reservoir.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
:giggle: An extremely experienced offroad shop owner buddy recommended Rough Country's vertex 2.5 adjustable shocks if you want best bang for the buck. He's ran Fox 2.5's and installed and tested practically every brand known to man. He said they are made by Radflo with Rough Country stickers slapped on them. Tough to get past the RC stigma on a shock...but he said they are a great shock considering what you get for less $ than fox reservoir.
Interesting... The Rough Country Vertex 2"-3" lift shock has very similar travel as other 0"-1.5" lift shocks. I can't find any travel numbers for the Radflo shocks though.

I wonder how many stickers can be removed from the Rough Country shocks...

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for opinions on shocks. Capture.PNG

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Radflo was running on quite a few rigs including my guy's in KOH 2017. Great shocks.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Interesting... The Rough Country Vertex 2"-3" lift shock has very similar travel as other 0"-1.5" lift shocks. I can't find any travel numbers for the Radflo shocks though.

I wonder how many stickers can be removed from the Rough Country shocks...

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for opinions on shocks. Capture.PNG
Yeah...I was only looking at shocks for a 3-4" lift...have alot more travel. Are you not lifted? My friend liked that they are a 2.5" diameter adjustables that are made by a quality company.(Radflo)

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Yeah...I was only looking at shocks for a 3-4" lift...have alot more travel. Are you not lifted? My friend liked that they are a 2.5" diameter adjustables that are made by a quality company.(Radflo)
My JLR is currently stock height. The garage door is only about 3-4" above the top right now, so I am only planning on 35s and a 1"-1.5" lift. That's why I am focusing more on travel & flex... got to make up for the lack of tire height somehow. It's also nice since it will keep the budget within reason (LOL).

I was set on the Fox 2.0 remote reservoirs, but the Rough Country's look like a nice way to get an adjustable 2.5" shock for the same price.

I've also been trying to find the JT Mojave shock specifications. If the travel numbers are decent, I will be waiting for the rumored JL Mojave so I can get some take-offs.

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Cherokee, 93 Wrangler, 19 Wrangler
I have the Rough Country Vertex shocks for 2-3" lift. They extend the travel 3" more than the stock Rubicon shocks, but dont require any change in bump stops. Performance is impressive on and offroad.

Last edited:

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
This thread’s got some good information in it! I never would’ve thought to look at rough country but for 700 bucks a pair those look to be a good deal. and honestly, when the tire and wheel on each corner of these jeeps average is say 100 pounds, a 2.5 inch is better suited than a 2 inch shock, IMHO. My best case scenario would be to get something like the king pre-runner series 2.5 inch bypass shocks and custom fabricate the shock mounts to get them to fit in there. Looks like you can get them for 660 bucks each. And I said custom fabricate mounts because anybody selling bolt on shocks, they always want a premium for it. I built a couple of off-road vehicles with bypass shocks, and I am a huge fan of them. When I see these non-bypass but adjustable compression shocks going for as much as they’re asking, I just keep saying to myself just go with the bypass. The real deal! Just throwing some food for thought out there
Question though, has anybody seen some bolt on real bypass shocks for 700 each or so?

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
At the risk of drawing out the Rough Country haters I am happy to chime in here. I have the 2.5 inch RC lift with the Vertex Adjustable shocks on my 2020 Rubi. I've had them on for about 4k or 5k miles now. Zero problems. Full disclosure I did swap out the RC springs. Not that I didn't like them but I had a chance to put the Rusty's 2 inch progressive rate springs (front and rear) made by Eibach for Rustys and once I put em on i never took them off!! SO I'm running Vertex 2-3inch Ressie shocks with Rustys Performance package (2 inch springs and all the lower control arms plus the track bars) and I kept RC sway bar end links and bump stops on.

Jeep rides great on and off road. I've said this in another thread but i'll briefly review. I live in central Vermont. I live 3 miles up a dirt road. No other way to my house other than a rutted, pot holed, washboard dirt road. I have 2 vehicles. A 2020 Rubicon and 2017 Raptor. When no one is around and all the farm animals and tractors are to bed i often BOMB up my 25 mph road at 40 or 45. The Vertex shocks are usually set on mid setting #4. She runs great! Not exactly as well as the Raptor but that is kinda Raptor territory. Also tonnes of great trails to run around here. Big rocks, ruts, mud pools and some steep climbs. I have no issues with the setup.

On road - everything is 30 to 45 minutes away around here. Jeep runs great. Corners pretty flat but not a harsh ride.

Im not fan boy, just happy customer. Both Rustys and RC have great customer service. Those Vertex shocks come with 3 year warranty as well. happy to answer any questions and good luck.

couple pics!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for opinions on shocks. 20200506_182321
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for opinions on shocks. 20200506_174157
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for opinions on shocks. IMG_0005

My JLR is currently stock height. The garage door is only about 3-4" above the top right now, so I am only planning on 35s and a 1"-1.5" lift. That's why I am focusing more on travel & flex... got to make up for the lack of tire height somehow. It's also nice since it will keep the budget within reason (LOL).

I was set on the Fox 2.0 remote reservoirs, but the Rough Country's look like a nice way to get an adjustable 2.5" shock for the same price.

I've also been trying to find the JT Mojave shock specifications. If the travel numbers are decent, I will be waiting for the rumored JL Mojave so I can get some take-offs.
Sponsored