Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
I think the best case scenario for us (and this segment, really) is for the Bronco to do extremely well--it'll push Jeep (hopefully) and maybe yield some good improvements/changes.

I'm still skeptical (there's a reason I'm here and not holding out and waiting for a Bronco), but beyond blind (and stupid) brand loyalty, there's no reason to root "against" the Bronco IMO.
Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
Ford had a pretty good run with the early broncos, 11 years. My parents owned a '73 which rusted apart by '76 and they bought another one which held together till around 1980 when the doors were falling off and the transmission stopped working. We used it on the farm as a kind of tractor as first and reverse continued to work for a couple more years. Dad eventually sold it for $500 to a guy that was going to use it as a door less snow plow. The EB's were relatively inexpensive no frills utility vehicles that, even back then, had a cool vibe when most mom's were driving sedans or station wagons. Their drive train was solid and rugged and my parents took them off road and camping in the U.P. and Canada often. They were lucky to get 10 miles to the gallon though which is why they ordered their '76 with the dual gas tanks. When Ford came out with the full size Bronco it was "way to big to be useful off road" in the northern Michigan back woods. When Ford produced the Bronco II I begged my dad to buy one but he refused as, at that point, they were way to expensive for using off road and by that time us kids where old enough to buy and build our own 4 wheelers. So, I'd say Ford alienated my parents by trying to make the Bronco appeal to a larger and higher priced market segment. I'm sure if Ford would have never stopped making the EB that my dad would've kept buying them. He is 75 now and has his eye on a bare bones base but thinks it's really silly how people are plopping down a 100 bucks for something that isn't out yet and you can't go down to the local Ford dealer to kick the tires.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Thinking about things a little more. I've come to the conclusion that the new Bronco, is really just a modern day version of the Bronco II. Hear me out here. The Bronco II was based on the Ford Ranger to fit a spot in the market that the existing Bronco of the day didn't fit. Powered by a base 4 cyl 2.3L with an optional V6. Independent front suspension with Dana components. This all sounds very familiar. Much more in common with the Bronco II than the original.

Bowser

First Name
Vishal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2018 BMW M3, 2016 Honda Accord
Bronco reservations are outstanding. Yes, I know these are $100 refundable, but it shows the public interest in the upcoming Bronco is high. Honest question, what do you need to see from Jeep to keep you from switching? And don't give me crap about loyalty, I will switch for a better product any day.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Bronco reservations are outstanding. Yes, I know these are $100 refundable, but it shows the public interest in the upcoming Bronco is high. Honest question, what do you need to see from Jeep to keep you from switching? And don't give me crap about loyalty, I will switch for a better product any day.
I doubt the Bronco would be a better product for me. If I drove an automatic I think there are some nice options like the 2.7L and the Sasquatch package. But since I drive a manual those aren't available.

I think to get what I want in a Bronco I would end up paying more than a Rubicon, and between the 2 I would still get the Rubicon.

But what I hope it will lead Jeep to do is add a rear locker and lower gears to the Willys. If they do that I will trade for that, add a lift, 35s, and swap in a 4:1 transfer case and never look back.

Sponsored

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Base model value..I’ll add that these reservations for the Bronco will likely be far less as leaks and specs are revealed of upcoming modifications to the wrangler. No big deal it’s only $100.00 LOL

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
The 2 door jeep has remained to this day with only slight changes in dimensions. It has maintained it's roots which ford has tried to do also with it's 2 door.

The question remains, why did jeep succeed after all these years whereas ford did not even with the lame broncoII which I forgot about.....so it failed twice!!

Do these failures have anything to do with today's bronco and what is different to make it not so?

To me, the reason only Jeep survived is because the market demand for a small 2 door off-roader during this time wasn't that big and Jeep was really the only one left in that category. Ford felt that their focus was better spent elsewhere. Buyers were going towards bigger, more comfortable SUVs and wanted a one-size fits all vehicle that could haul their family while getting them to trail heads and camp at the same time. It's not like Wrangler dominated the automotive industry during these times. It's a miracle the Wrangler is still around when you consider the small market there was, and it's almost certain there'd be no Wrangler now if there was no 4 door. The way everything has unfolded has more to do with decision makers and market demand more so than the product itself, in my opinion. The only thing Ford did wrong, is not release the Bronco 5 years sooner.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Considering people pay over $100k for Broncos today the staying power is real and more so than the cj!

I’ve already answered the first question. Ford made the mistake to make it a huge 2 door without the take off top. However they did bring it back as a 4dr with a new name as the expidition. GM did the same with the Tahoe 4dr replacing the Blazer.
lol, like I, someone else might be able (equipped ) to handle the question. :)

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
It's a different vehicle and it's not 1966. Are you serious?

The Iggles lost to the Seahawks last year. Perhaps someone else can answer the question. Why or why not will the Eagles have the staying power it didn't have in 2019?
cant answer it? Best stay away from questions you arent equipped to field. ;)

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
To me, the reason only Jeep survived is because the market demand for a small 2 door off-roader during this time wasn't that big and Jeep was really the only one left in that category. Ford felt that their focus was better spent elsewhere. Buyers were going towards bigger, more comfortable SUVs and wanted a one-size fits all vehicle that could haul their family while getting them to trail heads and camp at the same time. It's not like Wrangler dominated the automotive industry during these times. It's a miracle the Wrangler is still around when you consider the small market there was, and it's almost certain there'd be no Wrangler now if there was no 4 door. The way everything has unfolded has more to do with decision makers and market demand more so than the product itself, in my opinion. The only thing Ford did wrong, is not release the Bronco 5 years sooner.
Ford left becuase evidently sales were down and ford couldnt compete against jeep. again why will it be different this time?

I dont think it's certain at all that the 2 door wouldnt be around considering ford is also bringing it back. If no market why bother with it?

Sponsored

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Ford left becuase evidently sales were down and ford couldnt compete against jeep. again why will it be different this time?

I dont think it's certain at all that the 2 door wouldnt be around considering ford is also bringing it back. If no market why bother with it?
A loss leader I would assume. It's their flagship Bronco to attract people to the brand. Ford is already aware the 2 door will only make up about 5% of sales, similar to the JL.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

That's a good question. I don't expect the 2-door to sell very well. Maybe 20,000-30,000/year. I guess it's kind of like the Wrangler - they cant bring back the Bronco without the 2-door.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Base model value..I’ll add that these reservations for the Bronco will likely be far less as leaks and specs are revealed of upcoming modifications to the wrangler. No big deal it’s only $100.00 LOL

thanks for posting this video. Good stuff.

it is an absolute certainty that Jeep will be reacting to Bronco — thy already are...... Just look at the horses in the recent ads from Jeep. THAT’S why I hope that the Bronco takes 20%+ of the new buyers away from FCA..... it will force FCA to become better. That’s what competition does and that is good for all of us.

oh, and it also will mean that Toyota may need to update the 4Runner TRD pro (and it’s interior from 1994). That would also be very good for Jeepers as FCA will need to become even more focused on customers. Total win.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
cant answer it? Best stay away from questions you arent equipped to field. ;)
Whatever lets you sleep at night apparently, my dude. If you can't acknowledge that the world is inherently different from the 1960s, I got nothin' else for ya. Seems any "answers" you're willing to accept are pretty specific to your cranium.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
thanks for posting this video. Good stuff.

it is an absolute certainty that Jeep will be reacting to Bronco — thy already are...... Just look at the horses in the recent ads from Jeep. THAT’S why I hope that the Bronco takes 20%+ of the new buyers away from FCA..... it will force FCA to become better. That’s what competition does and that is good for all of us.

oh, and it also will mean that Toyota may need to update the 4Runner TRD pro (and it’s interior from 1994). That would also be very good for Jeepers as FCA will need to become even more focused on customers. Total win.
Completely agree with all of this.
Sponsored