Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 743 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Not sure where you got that from. Maybe you thought what I said about the FJC applied to the new Bronco? I said we'd have to wait and see how competitive the new Bronco was with the Wrangler.

Agree...the new Bronco won't just steal sales from Jeep.

I highly doubt the Raptor version comes in SFA....
it was just a general question and not meaning you had said it. I think the original bronco in many respects was better than the jeep. If so why did it fail and is that failure something that relates to the new bronco?

I think the new bronco will steal sales from all sorts even or especially the Raptor. Thinking it will be MUCH more fun going fast in than that big ole ford.. lol

Yes I highly doubt the raptor version will be sfa either. I can dream....lol BUT on the other hand it makes me happy I didnt wait to buy a bronco now that I know what the deal is. But the wife's car on the other hand might end up being one. Thus far she isnt interest, thinks it's ugly.
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
@rallydefault

just to be clear on my end, I was told years ago (but with no data to back it up) that something like: “significantly less than half.... something like 25%..... of Jeeps ever drive off-road.....”...... that has stuck with me for a number of years. The SEMA study seems to be in line with this at 1/3.

And, what it says to me is that 2/3rd of Jeep owners never go off-road. That has all sorts of marketing implications for Jeeps and explains,I think, why Jeep is adding a lot of techno stuff to Jeeps, etc. it also explains full time 4WD. Most jeep owners will use the Jeeps on city streets. They like the fantasy of off-roading and toughness but will never use it. I also suggest that most of these folks (and even many of the “Accessorizes” who do go offroad) wouldn’t know a solid axle if it hit them in the head. I count myself as one of them. Until I joined this board I had no idea that a Jeep had a solid axle or that other vehicles didn’t. Whoop-tee-do, a darn Suburu would probably work for what I want to do but I liked the ethos of the Jeep more.

I bought a Jeep because I liked the way it looked and I liked the interior and I liked the ecosystem of stuff to bolt on it. I did not buy a 4Runner TRD because I hated the interior. Notice, there is zero in my purchasing decision about “IFS vs SFA”.

IMO, folks who bash the Bronco because of its “lack of capabilities” are spot on —- when they look through their own lens. But they are missing the bigger picture: a few trees do off-road and absolutely need Jeep capabilities but the forest doesn’t. The Bronco will sell very well to the forest.

Hell, I know 3 people who have already placed orders for broncos — they don’t off-road and don’t intend to. They just like it’s “looks and want something rugged” (direct quote)......
I've said this many times. It doesnt matter what percentage go off road. It's what it can do not necessarily what the owner will do with it.

Same for sports cars that can do a zillion miles and hour and handle 1g+ turns. How many of those owners are railing it on fast twisty roads or race courses? Bet the percentage it less then jeeps.

I live in a relatively affluent area, I see old ladys and men in vettes, porches, etc. going by many standards I hear on this forum they should just put a 150 hp motor in them cause they never use the capability anyway. If they did so, how many would sell? It's a rhetorical question. lol

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I've said this many times. It doesnt matter what percentage go off road. It's what it can do not necessarily what the owner will do with it.

Same for sports cars that can do a zillion miles and hour and handle 1g+ turns. How many of those owners are railing it on fast twisty roads or race courses? Bet the percentage it less then jeeps.

I live in a relatively affluent area, I see old ladys and men in vettes, porches, etc. going by many standards I hear on this forum they should just put a 150 hp motor in them cause they never use the capability anyway. If they did so, how many would sell? It's a rhetorical question. lol
I agree with this. And I would add that people seem to think there is some significance to the fact that a majority of Wrangler owners don't go off-road. If 25%-35% of Wrangler owners go off-road, that is a huge number. Certainly big enough to move the needle in the marketplace. The aftermarket support for the Wrangler/Gladiator is proof of that.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I agree with this. And I would add that people seem to think there is some significance to the fact that a majority of Wrangler owners don't go off-road. If 25%-35% of Wrangler owners go off-road, that is a huge number. Certainly big enough to move the needle in the marketplace. The aftermarket support for the Wrangler/Gladiator is proof of that.
I'll also add that we're all geeks to a certain extent. We marvel at the engineering that we will likely never use. This is jeep, bronco, sports car, military jet, whatever.

BTW (not directed at you in the least) but isnt it just as annoying to hear from those that dont wheel at all that we dont need a SFA cause no one ever uses it and an excuse to go IFS ....as it is to hear those that mock mall crawlers in a serious way.

I find both of those statement lacking in what makes us all tick. Geek-e-ness. We like things that are engineered to WORK whether you wheel the wheels off or mall crawl it's an appreciation.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
I was really geeked by the Bronco and had a reservation (technically two, one canceled) but I ended up canceling and picking up a Rubicon last week.

The main reasons why:

• Ford has struggled with consistent messaging after the reveal; the reveal was so slick and so superficially jam-packed with info that it did a lot to inspire confidence until you started digging deep. From issues with what packages/trims conflict to changing dealers on the reservation to available colors to order/build timelines, they've resorted to having their comms manager clarify stuff in twitter replies instead of, you know, correcting the official information released on their website. Really bad look and it inspires little confidence, especially when "official" info contradicts or flatout misrepresents reality.
  • The manual. Having no manual on the "big" engine really sucks. I get it, I'm one of like 3 people that still drive--and insist on driving--a stick. But not allowing certain packages--namely, the Sasquatch package--to be optioned on a manual really, really grinds my gears (pun intended). How can you claim that this "Wrangler-beating package" is available on "all trims" when it cannot be added to any of the trims having the 2.3/7MT? Why would you spend the time and resources developing a 7MT and hamstringing it by offering it on few desirable trims and without the most desirable off-road package? Why show off an orange 2 door with a stick, 37s, and a lift, when you can only get half of that from the factory?!
After those, I kinda realized that what I wanted was a Jeep, so I started looking and here we are. I'll follow the Bronco closely, and maybe a couple years in I will be game. But until then, instead of buying a Jeep-equivalent I'll just drive and enjoy the genuine article.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I was really geeked by the Bronco and had a reservation (technically two, one canceled) but I ended up canceling and picking up a Rubicon last week.

The main reasons why:

• Ford has struggled with consistent messaging after the reveal; the reveal was so slick and so superficially jam-packed with info that it did a lot to inspire confidence until you started digging deep. From issues with what packages/trims conflict to changing dealers on the reservation to available colors to order/build timelines, they've resorted to having their comms manager clarify stuff in twitter replies instead of, you know, correcting the official information released on their website. Really bad look and it inspires little confidence, especially when "official" info contradicts or flatout misrepresents reality.
  • The manual. Having no manual on the "big" engine really sucks. I get it, I'm one of like 3 people that still drive--and insist on driving--a stick. But not allowing certain packages--namely, the Sasquatch package--to be optioned on a manual really, really grinds my gears (pun intended). How can you claim that this "Wrangler-beating package" is available on "all trims" when it cannot be added to any of the trims having the 2.3/7MT? Why would you spend the time and resources developing a 7MT and hamstringing it by offering it on few desirable trims and without the most desirable off-road package? Why show off an orange 2 door with a stick, 37s, and a lift, when you can only get half of that from the factory?!
After those, I kinda realized that what I wanted was a Jeep, so I started looking and here we are. I'll follow the Bronco closely, and maybe a couple years in I will be game. But until then, instead of buying a Jeep-equivalent I'll just drive and enjoy the genuine article.
I'm a manual guy too. Honestly we are going through the same thing with the Jeep. Want a turbo, Diesel, Hemi, Hybrid, or Recon? Can't get it with a manual.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm a manual guy too. Honestly we are going through the same thing with the Jeep. Want a turbo, Diesel, Hemi, Hybrid, or Recon? Can't get it with a manual.
No doubt, it’s slim pickings all around. But I was able to get the Jeep model I wanted with a stick. That was not going to be the case with the Bronco, despite their literature arguably saying otherwise.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
No doubt, it’s slim pickings all around. But I was able to get the Jeep model I wanted with a stick. That was not going to be the case with the Bronco, despite their literature arguably saying otherwise.
I was stoked for the 2.7 manual. Disappointed now. Likewise I'd love the diesel with a manual. Sucks

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was stoked for the 2.7 manual. Disappointed now. Likewise I'd love the diesel with a manual. Sucks
I was able to eventually come to grips with the 2.3, but the Sasquatch thing got to me. There’s also an open question as to whether you can get the 4 door with the stick, but I stopped paying attention last Thursday.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I was able to eventually come to grips with the 2.3, but the Sasquatch thing got to me. There’s also an open question as to whether you can get the 4 door with the stick, but I stopped paying attention last Thursday.
No stick on the 4-door? Wow I hadn't heard that. That would be a deal-breaker for me. Sounds like that isn't confirmed though.

Sponsored

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
it was just a general question and not meaning you had said it. I think the original bronco in many respects was better than the jeep. If so why did it fail and is that failure something that relates to the new bronco?

I think the new bronco will steal sales from all sorts even or especially the Raptor. Thinking it will be MUCH more fun going fast in than that big ole ford.. lol

Yes I highly doubt the raptor version will be sfa either. I can dream....lol BUT on the other hand it makes me happy I didnt wait to buy a bronco now that I know what the deal is. But the wife's car on the other hand might end up being one. Thus far she isnt interest, thinks it's ugly.
It failed because it became large 2 dr behemoth with no flexibility at a time when minivans were all the rage. The blazer became a 4dr Tahoe and ford then created the 4dr expedition.

Jeep was smart and kept it a small rock crawling vehicle but even they knew it had to grow. The 4 jk was a brilliant and huge success for families. Dad can’t justify the 2dr but can the 4dr.

Bronco will succeed if they keep size under control and keep top/doors off off road vehicle.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
It failed because it became large 2 dr behemoth with no flexibility at a time when minivans were all the rage. The blazer became a 4dr Tahoe and ford then created the 4dr expedition.

Jeep was smart and kept it a small rock crawling vehicle but even they knew it had to grow. The 4 jk was a brilliant and huge success for families. Dad can’t justify the 2dr but can the 4dr.

Bronco will succeed if they keep size under control and keep top/doors off off road vehicle.
if they changed it to become a behemoth it failed. My question is why the jeep size bronco failed and the jeep has staying power?

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No stick on the 4-door? Wow I hadn't heard that. That would be a deal-breaker for me. Sounds like that isn't confirmed though.
I haven’t checked but it was being tossed about on Bronco6G. Just yet another example of Ford being unable or unwilling to clarify something.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
if they changed it to become a behemoth it failed. My question is why the jeep size bronco failed and the jeep has staying power?
It did not fail. Ford chose to go bigger. It worked for a number of years.

Jeep also have chosen to go bigger. Compare a cj to a 4 dr jl. Then ask which one sold better?
Sponsored