Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

AlpMan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU, XJ, XC40
This is galvanic corrosion because of the aluminum doors and steel bolts. Once it starts it is almost impossible to stop it. If they can clean it all out and epoxy paint the area it MAY stop it. But they absolutely have to put in new bolts! The bolts have a coating on them that helps prevent this from happening, if they re use the bolts it will 100% do the same thing again.
Is there a way to prevent this from happening at all? Aluminum or titanium bolts perhaps?
Sponsored

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
ok people just got my OB back after the dealer said it would take a day to do.....fat chance 5 days later I received it back and had to leave and come back because I saw some imperfections in the paint so I pointed them out and when I got back I still found some more so I had to wait there with my 8y/o for another hour...its a good thing my Dad owned a body shop for over 30 years...the Finisher said man you have good eyes.....no QC what so ever not even from the MGR of the body shop...this is my first jeep and maybe my last...I only have 15k miles on it and its 21 months old....I have never seen such a thing on a brand-new vehicle...so they had to repaint the pass door on the bottom it was corroding the size of a quarter and one of the hood hinge corroted onto the hood and had to repaint it....smh....other than that debacle we will see if it returns....this whole situation is unacceptable a brand new hinge and hood and door should have been warranted to fix this issue...I hope everyone else situation goes well...

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Other manufacturers have been very successful with using aluminum in their vehicles, Ford has been one of the leaders in the area with their F-150’s. There is aluminum and steel all over that truck. It all goes back to what the coating is they apply to the fasteners and how well it is applied. I have done collision work for 30+ years on high end vehicles, I hate to say it but Chrysler has never had a good reputation with corrosion on all steel vehicles because of their lack of corrosion protection and as of lately their choices of foam in areas that collect moisture. The fact they are now having galvanic corrosion issues isn’t very surprising. They can come up with solutions but the question is will they. And unfortunately most of the shops doing the warranty work have no clue how to properly repair it.

For example a shop takes the door off and sands it down, even if they take a brand new door say and sand it down. If the sandpaper they used was used prior on steel it will embed small particles of steel in the aluminum and the process starts all over again. If they have the sanded area open to the elements and someone else in the shop is sanding or grinding a steel panel in the area and particles fall on the bare aluminum that can be enough to start the process over again. In my shops we have “clean rooms” that are 100% sealed off and ONLY used for aluminum repairs, in the room we have a complete separate set of tools that ONLY get used on aluminum. Any faster that gets removed gets placed in a bag and is only kept until we match up the new replacement, if we run a screw into a part and have to loosen it or remove it for adjustments that screw once again gets replaced no question.

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
Other manufacturers have been very successful with using aluminum in their vehicles, Ford has been one of the leaders in the area with their F-150’s. There is aluminum and steel all over that truck. It all goes back to what the coating is they apply to the fasteners and how well it is applied. I have done collision work for 30+ years on high end vehicles, I hate to say it but Chrysler has never had a good reputation with corrosion on all steel vehicles because of their lack of corrosion protection and as of lately their choices of foam in areas that collect moisture. The fact they are now having galvanic corrosion issues isn’t very surprising. They can come up with solutions but the question is will they. And unfortunately most of the shops doing the warranty work have no clue how to properly repair it.

For example a shop takes the door off and sands it down, even if they take a brand new door say and sand it down. If the sandpaper they used was used prior on steel it will embed small particles of steel in the aluminum and the process starts all over again. If they have the sanded area open to the elements and someone else in the shop is sanding or grinding a steel panel in the area and particles fall on the bare aluminum that can be enough to start the process over again. In my shops we have “clean rooms” that are 100% sealed off and ONLY used for aluminum repairs, in the room we have a complete separate set of tools that ONLY get used on aluminum. Any faster that gets removed gets placed in a bag and is only kept until we match up the new replacement, if we run a screw into a part and have to loosen it or remove it for adjustments that screw once again gets replaced no question.

Wow we can go out to space but a simple task of putting the correct coating on a vehicle is complicated...crazy. I had no idea that was the process for aluminum...thanks for the lesson...

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Some BMW’s have aluminum frame rails that are glued and riveted to steel panels on the vehicle. You need to remove the coating of the aluminum rail in the adhesive area, once the coating is removed you need to flame treat the bare aluminum with a butane torch to remove the humidity from the aluminum. There is a special primer that needs to go over the bare aluminum within 30 minutes to seal the humidity out of the panel, if you don’t get it applied in that time frame you need to start the entire process over again. The humidity in the aluminum is enough to start oxidation on the panel which leads to corrosion. So when a shop sands the flaking paint off the door and they leave it in bare aluminum for hours or days that starts the problem all over again. There is probably less than 10% of the shops in the collision industry that have any clue how to properly deal with aluminum. I own an F-150 and also a New rubicon. I am a technical trainer for a large group of shops that have 600+ locations, if I were to require either of my vehicles to be repaired there is a handful of shops I would let touch them.

Sponsored

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
Some BMW’s have aluminum frame rails that are glued and riveted to steel panels on the vehicle. You need to remove the coating of the aluminum rail in the adhesive area, once the coating is removed you need to flame treat the bare aluminum with a butane torch to remove the humidity from the aluminum. There is a special primer that needs to go over the bare aluminum within 30 minutes to seal the humidity out of the panel, if you don’t get it applied in that time frame you need to start the entire process over again. The humidity in the aluminum is enough to start oxidation on the panel which leads to corrosion. So when a shop sands the flaking paint off the door and they leave it in bare aluminum for hours or days that starts the problem all over again. There is probably less than 10% of the shops in the collision industry that have any clue how to properly deal with aluminum. I own an F-150 and also a New rubicon. I am a technical trainer for a large group of shops that have 600+ locations, if I were to require either of my vehicles to be repaired there is a handful of shops I would let touch them.

Just GREAT! any in FL

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Just GREAT! any in FL
I would look to see if there was any Audi A-8 certified shops around, they have the training and the mentality to do quality aluminum repairs. Problem is they are usually booked 2-3 months out and most likely won’t be interested in doing it for what FCA pays on warranty.

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
I would look to see if there was any Audi A-8 certified shops around, they have the training and the mentality to do quality aluminum repairs. Problem is they are usually booked 2-3 months out and most likely won’t be interested in doing it for what FCA pays on warranty.
it so happens there is one 3 min from my house...if all else fails....and FCA doesn't do right by all of us if it happens again then....will never purchase a jeep again...and get it taken care of it myself....I would get rid of it but my daughter wants it...the things we do for them. lol

Jeep007

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Anyone have this repaired and have luck with it not coming back? I have this on a few of my door hinges and it’s disappointing.

@JeepCares

lordcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Not that I have a constructive comment to add, but I had bubbling door hinges on my '14 JKU Rubicon and I fully expect to get them on my incoming '20 JLU. This is one of those "Jeep things"

Sponsored

Jeep007

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Not that I have a constructive comment to add, but I had bubbling door hinges on my '14 JKU Rubicon and I fully expect to get them on my incoming '20 JLU. This is one of those "Jeep things"
It wouldn’t bother me as much if it was just on the hinges but it’s expanding onto the doors.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
It wouldn’t bother me as much if it was just on the hinges but it’s expanding onto the doors.
Same here. My hinges have been fine, it's mainly affecting the door around the hinge area.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Anyone have this repaired and have luck with it not coming back? I have this on a few of my door hinges and it’s disappointing.

@JeepCares
Same here. My hinges have been fine, it's mainly affecting the door around the hinge area.
@Jeep007, @Redneck_Jedi

If you intend to bring this to the attention of your dealer, our team would be happy to add additional support to your servicing visit. Feel free to send us a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I hadn't noticed this on my '19 JLRU till I read this thread. I have it on all doors around the hinge plates. I'm guessing that FCA will be getting a ton of warranty claims because of this.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I hadn't noticed this on my '19 JLRU till I read this thread. I have it on all doors around the hinge plates. I'm guessing that FCA will be getting a ton of warranty claims because of this.
Seems that way. I will be going in for my second repair after the whole Corona thing passes. I'm hoping that Jeep extends the Anti-Corrosion warranty from the normal 3 years to Lifetime coverage for those of us that are affected. It would be the right thing to do.
Sponsored