XR observations

X-Treme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Occupation
Happily Retired
I mentioned this in another response but a spacer totally fixed this issue for me. $45 and takes an hour to install - not a big investment of money or time.
Exactly what i did. I put spacers all round and it solved my issue. No more having my teeth knocked out when riding over speed bumps!
Sponsored

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I did spacers as well, but went a little bigger in the front with a 1.5", then also put some Fox 2.0s on for 2-3" lift. Resulted in 2 more inches of downtravel. Admittedly I'm not too comfortable with the stock sway bar end links now, will probably get some longer adjustable ones.
Jeep Wrangler JL XR observations flexy

jasander77

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Ordered - 2023 4DR Rubicon XR
Don’t overthink this. It’s a lot of work for only 1/2” spacer that will be barely noticed. I personally wouldn’t worry about it until you are ready to do springs.

Put a jack under the front bumper lift it enough that it relieves your front springs 1/2” as a spacer would do, stand back and see if you can notice the difference.
Thanks for the response. I actually ordered the 1/2" when I ordered the winch last week. I agree ... going to be a lot of work for just half an inch. Not worried about the look ... just want to correct for the added weight so I don't start bottoming out. But I also didn't want to correct too much. Question now is ... how long is this pile of parts going sit on my garage floor before I get time to install it. 😄

jasander77

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Ordered - 2023 4DR Rubicon XR
I installed the winch, arb dual compressor on the firewall and the 1/2” Tera flex spacers. I should have measured prior to … but almost seems like the bump stop clearance has increased. Which is nice, but I expect some settling. Monitoring the measurement from stock rock rail to ground just behind the front tire. Currently, sitting at 19” in the front while the rear is around 20.25” at corresponding point on the rock rail.. Tire pressure at 32psi. Curious to know what some unmodified XR measurements are?

Last edited:

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
I got a set of MetalCloak DuroSpring bumpstops to put in tonight as well as 3.5” RK triple rate springs for the front to replace the 2.5”. That heavy ARB bumper brought the front down too much for the 2.5” springs.
Stay tuned.

I’m not sure if I posted this comparison here before but here are the measurements I got after putting the 2.5” Springs with a much lighter bumper and winch.

42BB1A9B-56CD-4F40-8A6F-963F79C34BCD.jpeg

Sponsored

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I think it's worth mentioning that all sprung weight can be treated the same. Added winch and accessory weight is no different than a heavier motor. edit: obviously weight placement is another subject.

The XR has more unsprung weight (wheels/tires/axles) than a typical JL, but the sprung weight is almost the same as a similarly equipped non-XR (the spare tire is heavier).

The numbers below are kind of old , so they might not be applicable to the XR/3.0/392. Also the 2-door has a higher front spring rate than a 4-door (probably due to the shorter wheelbase).

Jeep Wrangler JL XR observations 42BB1A9B-56CD-4F40-8A6F-963F79C34BCD
I have a 2022 JLR with the 2.0 turbo and Auto transmission, pretty much bone stock. I really like how it performs - it is kind of like a Jeep sports car. I have taken it to Colorado to do mild to moderate trails and I was very happy with how capable it is in stock form, especially compared to my stock JKUR. i Now see that Jeep is making a 2 door Rubicon with the XR package and I am very tempted. If I keep my JLR, I could add 35s, probably the BFG 315 70 17s, and possibly some XR wheel and tire package take offs. This is a little bit of a slippery slope in terms of probably needing at least a small spacer boost and possible re gearing. Have you added bigger tires to your JLR. If so, what other mods did you do? What do you think about the 2 door XR package? I Am guessing it would cost 5k to 10k for me to fully mod my JLR and I could probably buy a new XR for a net cost of about 25k? Thanks.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I think a 2dr rubi x would be epic. I hsve the 4 dr rubi x with 456 gears. And the 3.6. It is a very. Nice combo. I drove the turbo and want a fan. But the 35s and 456 on a 2 dr i would imagine would be kick aass sweet

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The XR package has :
- a heavier front diff housing
- steel knuckles instead of aluminum
- 4.56 gears
- 315/70R-17 BFG KO2 tires
- 17” Beadlock capable wheels
- upgraded brakes
- wheel lip extensions
- taillight spacers
- HD tailgate hinge /tailgate support

A basic 1.5” lift which includes:
- longer track bars
- lower extended rear trackbar bracket
- have longer bump stops
- longer swaybar links

So of course you don’t have to add all these things but this is your list.

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The XR package has :
- a heavier front diff housing
- 4.56 gears
- 315/70R-17 BFG KO2 tires
- 17” Beadlock capable wheels
- upgraded brakes
- wheel lip extensions
- taillight spacers
- HD tailgate hinge /tailgate support

A basic 1.5” lift which includes:
- longer track bars
- lower extended rear trackbar bracket
- have longer bump stops
- longer swaybar links

So of course you don’t have to add all these things but this is your list.
The xr track bars are the same as a non-xr. In my opinion it still needs longer lower control arms to track properly. The front bump stop clearance isn't enough for driving even moderately quickly off road and bottoms out all the time, so at minimum I'd add a 1" coil spacer up front. The shocks are too short and limit wheel travel (a problem across all JL models). Trading in to get 35s on your JL still leaves you needing another $1k to get it to really work properly. The beadlock rings cost almost as much as beadlock wheels and are never in stock so the beadlock "capable" wheels add little real value and no performance. The front brakes are standard Rubicon and the rears are only slightly larger. If you're in the market for a new Jeep, the xr package is worth the money. If you already own one building is not only far cheaper but you end up with a much better package. I felt like the 4.56 gears were too low for 35s on the freeway and would rather have 4.10s with 35s personally. You could buy a high quality 2.5" lift that addresses caster properly and has much better shocks for under$3k. Add wheels of your choice and 35s that are better than the KO2s for another $3500. Sure if you feel the need for deep gears you'll be in it for another $2500 but even then you'd have a Jeep that way outperforms the stock xr on and off road and save a bunch of money in the process.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At the end of the day gearing will depend on the highways you regularly used, around here 55mpg is highway speed. So 4.56 gears works.
I run 37s with 4.56 gears and with 55mph highways I don’t see 8th gear much.

I still think the heavier XR housing with steel knuckles is worth the move up to the XR.
There are a number of different trackbar numbers so I haven’t been able to confirm 100% .. But the rear definitely has an extended axle side track bar bracket that no other model has.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
At the end of the day gearing will depend on the highways you regularly used, around here 55mpg is highway speed. So 4.56 gears works.
I run 37s with 4.56 gears and with 55mph highways I don’t see 8th gear much.

I still think the heavier XR housing with steel knuckles is worth the move up to the XR.
There are a number of different trackbar numbers so I haven’t been able to confirm 100% .. But the rear definitely has an extended axle side track bar bracket that no other model has.
Out here the freeway speeds start with a 7 or an 8 so I definitely lean toward the taller gearing. My JT Mojave still sees 8th at 85mph on 37s. The wife's xr sees 8th less but that's because it's on 39s with the 4.56s. The raised bracket on the rear helps with roll center, but there are many aftermarket options around $100 so that's an easy fix.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I have a 2022 JLR with the 2.0 turbo and Auto transmission, pretty much bone stock. I really like how it performs - it is kind of like a Jeep sports car. I have taken it to Colorado to do mild to moderate trails and I was very happy with how capable it is in stock form, especially compared to my stock JKUR. i Now see that Jeep is making a 2 door Rubicon with the XR package and I am very tempted. If I keep my JLR, I could add 35s, probably the BFG 315 70 17s, and possibly some XR wheel and tire package take offs. This is a little bit of a slippery slope in terms of probably needing at least a small spacer boost and possible re gearing. Have you added bigger tires to your JLR. If so, what other mods did you do? What do you think about the 2 door XR package? I Am guessing it would cost 5k to 10k for me to fully mod my JLR and I could probably buy a new XR for a net cost of about 25k? Thanks.
I'm still on my stock JLR tires, but have some 315/70r17 BFG K02s in the garage waiting to go on (I got a smoking deal last summer... $1050 shipped). Many others on this forum are fine with the stock gearing & 35" tire, so I wasn't planning on re-gearing. I've always thought the 4:10s were a little too much for the first couple gear changes anyway (WOT in the 2.0).

For suspension I'm planning on getting the 2-door XR springs when the part numbers are known, but a 1"-1.5" spacer would work just as well with stock-ish length shocks. I already have 392 takeoff shocks (paid $350 on eBay) and +1" bump stop, so I'll be very close to an XR in terms of articulation & ride height for well under $2,000. I also did the Mopar lower control arms way back in 2019 (~$60) and recently bought some XR swaybar endlinks ($45 on eBay) but these aren't technically necessary for 392/XR shock lengths. Obviously the XR comes with other things, but I doubt I'll be getting any other XR parts except possibly a spare tire carrier depending on how the 35 fits. If I was considering 37s, then the XR axles would be more tempting, but I'm good with 35s on a 2-door and don't see any reason to go larger for how I use my Jeep.

Does anyone actually know if the 2-door XR actually gets the larger rear brakes? With the 2-door's weight transfer and low towing capacity, I'm not sure they're necessary.

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I'm still on my stock JLR tires, but have some 315/70r17 BFG K02s in the garage waiting to go on (I got a smoking deal last summer... $1050 shipped). Many others on this forum are fine with the stock gearing & 35" tire, so I wasn't planning on re-gearing. I've always thought the 4:10s were a little too much for the first couple gear changes anyway (WOT in the 2.0).

For suspension I'm planning on getting the 2-door XR springs when the part numbers are known, but a 1"-1.5" spacer would work just as well with stock-ish length shocks. I already have 392 takeoff shocks (paid $350 on eBay) and +1" bump stop, so I'll be very close to an XR in terms of articulation & ride height for well under $2,000. I also did the Mopar lower control arms way back in 2019 (~$60) and recently bought some XR swaybar endlinks ($45 on eBay) but these aren't technically necessary for 392/XR shock lengths. Obviously the XR comes with other things, but I doubt I'll be getting any other XR parts except possibly a spare tire carrier depending on how the 35 fits. If I was considering 37s, then the XR axles would be more tempting, but I'm good with 35s on a 2-door and don't see any reason to go larger for how I use my Jeep.

Does anyone actually know if the 2-door XR actually gets the larger rear brakes? With the 2-door's weight transfer and low towing capacity, I'm not sure they're necessary.
Thanks. I appreciate your comments. What wheels are yo planning to run once you put your 315s on?

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I think a 2dr rubi x would be epic. I hsve the 4 dr rubi x with 456 gears. And the 3.6. It is a very. Nice combo. I drove the turbo and want a fan. But the 35s and 456 on a 2 dr i would imagine would be kick aass sweet

Yup, the Ruby X 2-door w/35" tire package was just a bit too tempting for me so ordered a White one a couple weeks ago:)

The only way on the 2-door to get the 35" tire package was with the 2.0 Auto, wanted the 3.6 as I have a brand new in box Edelbrock Supercharger...I also wanted the factory winch but couldn't order that either with this package so will have to remove the Zeon 10S from my '20 Ruby 2-door before I sell her.
Sponsored