XR observations

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubicon XR
I picked up my 2022 Rubicon with the XR package last Friday. The Jeep has the 3.6L e torque engine, auto trans, sky one touch, and a few other options. I am upgrading from my 2021 4XE. The 4XE was stock with the exceptions of 35” tires, and a stubby bumper with winch (synthetic rope).

I swapped the bumpers on Saturday night between the two Jeeps. While I didn’t measure the before gap above the bump front bump stops, I did snap a picture of the after. I would put it at between 5/8” and 1/2”. I have a 3/4” spacer to install, but was just shocked at how little uptravel there was. Photo of the spring and bump stop below shows the “after” picture on the XR for when the bumpers had been swapped. If you zoom in on the before picture of the 4XE, you can see a good 2” of uptravel on the passengers side. I off-roaded that Jeep a couple of times, and never had fender contact.

Another observation is that my bike rack no longer fits. Given the spare tire being pushed out due to the carrier, the bike rack contacts the tire before the hole lines up for the hitch pin. It is a simple problem to resolve, but was a bit surprising

For me, the “so what” is that the lift has much less functional value than I was initially expecting. it looks good, but I’ve already hit the bump stops driving around town. I’m going to have to install spacers to recover the limited uptravel it came with.

The bead locks look cool, but I’m not going to install tires that way any time soon. “Axle strength” is a topic of debate. So functionally, the XR package for me boils down to 4.56 gears and a tire carrier, and a small premium for slightly larger tires. There are plenty of take off 35s to be had, and the stock rubicon 33s sell well too.

I probably would not spend my money again on it. YMMV, but that is my opinion.
Jeep Wrangler JL XR observations 4666806E-2D27-45BF-BA84-8FDC5BC5A01F
Jeep Wrangler JL XR observations 6F446B26-1258-4EF2-90F3-28F81CEFE75B

FBF61B9A-7546-4CAF-8682-11AAFE60281A.jpeg
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I think people have been stating the obvious for some time, it doesn't have a lot of value for a lot of people. You have to want what it is, and there is probably a better way to do it for a lot of people.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I do think the rear? Rotors are slightly larger.
Actually smaller per the spec sheet.

13.6 x .86 (345 x 22) vented rotor — Sahara 4xe, Xtreme Recon Pkg
14 x .86 (350 x 22) vented rotor — Rubicon 4xe, Rubicon 392

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up my 2022 Rubicon with the XR package last Friday. The Jeep has the 3.6L e torque engine, auto trans, sky one touch, and a few other options. I am upgrading from my 2021 4XE. The 4XE was stock with the exceptions of 35” tires, and a stubby bumper with winch (synthetic rope).

I swapped the bumpers on Saturday night between the two Jeeps. While I didn’t measure the before gap above the bump front bump stops, I did snap a picture of the after. I would put it at between 5/8” and 1/2”. I have a 3/4” spacer to install, but was just shocked at how little uptravel there was. Photo of the spring and bump stop below shows the “after” picture on the XR for when the bumpers had been swapped. If you zoom in on the before picture of the 4XE, you can see a good 2” of uptravel on the passengers side. I off-roaded that Jeep a couple of times, and never had fender contact.

Another observation is that my bike rack no longer fits. Given the spare tire being pushed out due to the carrier, the bike rack contacts the tire before the hole lines up for the hitch pin. It is a simple problem to resolve, but was a bit surprising

For me, the “so what” is that the lift has much less functional value than I was initially expecting. it looks good, but I’ve already hit the bump stops driving around town. I’m going to have to install spacers to recover the limited uptravel it came with.

The bead locks look cool, but I’m not going to install tires that way any time soon. “Axle strength” is a topic of debate. So functionally, the XR package for me boils down to 4.56 gears and a tire carrier, and a small premium for slightly larger tires. There are plenty of take off 35s to be had, and the stock rubicon 33s sell well too.

I probably would not spend my money again on it. YMMV, but that is my opinion.
4666806E-2D27-45BF-BA84-8FDC5BC5A01F.jpeg
6F446B26-1258-4EF2-90F3-28F81CEFE75B.jpeg

FBF61B9A-7546-4CAF-8682-11AAFE60281A.jpeg
Yes, those bump stops have been a point of contention since XR first appeared.

Those bumpstops, the tail light extensions and the flare extensions give the impression that XR was thrown together in a rush.

TexasRay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys XR Gobi - Ordered 5/15...
I can see the XR not being a game changer on a Rubicon, but having it on my Willys and comparing it side-by-side to a non-XR Willys, the difference is appearance and stance is pretty staggering. To get that type of upgrade from the factory with full warranty was absolutely worth it for me.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I think people have been stating the obvious for some time, it doesn't have a lot of value for a lot of people. You have to want what it is, and there is probably a better way to do it for a lot of people.
XR’s gearing, beefier brakes and axles are nice. But I agree, the “lift” looks like a Rubicon suspension that has been stretched an extra inch, and then there are those bump stops...

My Sahara doesn’t have the beefier axles, although it has a rear D44; now with 4.88 gears. And the Mopar lift provides a better setup IMO.

Different approaches to achieve somewhat similar results.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
IMO if you are ok with a V6 and an AT, it's a steal at $3995 and you get the steel knuckles instead of aluminum. You can't get the package with the diesel or the Turbo 4 or a manual. Same issue I had with the GM kitting out JK's with a full AEV lift with bumpers, wheels and tires and wondering why he can't sell them. We want what we want and that cookie cutter isn't the kind of cookie that we want.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Why did you switch from the 4XE? It should have had much more power no?
Got 5.29 seconds to 60mph in my 4xe

Yeah it’s way more power

i think I remember him mentioning he didn’t get the rubicon and he regretted it because of the diff gears and lockers

Lets not bring up that 100hp>gears

Sponsored

Craigger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Clubs

I noticed the same thing, and very pronounced after adding bumper/winch. It did take a 1" spacer to level it back out, helps with the bottoming out but we'll see how it performs off-road.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
XR’s gearing, beefier brakes and axles are nice. But I agree, the “lift” looks like a Rubicon suspension that has been stretched an extra inch, and then there are those bump stops...

My Sahara doesn’t have the beefier axles, although it has a rear D44; now with 4.88 gears. And the Mopar lift provides a better setup IMO.

Different approaches to achieve somewhat similar results.
I didn't realize you couldn't order the 4.56 without the XR, so that is worth it if you're going with the auto trans. The front axle is different, but the rear axle is the same (as a Rubicon anyway). The brakes are actually the same or larger with the 4xe than the XR.