Winch Winch Winch

Do you run a winch on your JL/JT?

• Total voters

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
-Out on the farm and there's a big tree down? Hang on. I'll grab the jeep and pull it this way or that so we can get to it easier with the saw
I could have used your help the other day!

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Winch Winch IMG_9357
Sponsored

Mathami

First Name
Saeed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 4D Sport
I wanted to install EVO 8000 lbp WARN on my JL with front steel mopar bumper , the weird thing that the dealer told me I dont need to install the winch mount or plate, I googled and never saw anyone installing it without a mount/plate, can it be installed without it?

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I have the warn Zeon 12k and it can't go in without a mounting plate Mopar even sells one for the Wrangler so not sure why he would have said that. I have mine mounted in my Rubicon steel bumper and have used it so many times like wow so many, not only for myself but helping others, it seems as though with the winch I take on bigger obstacles and deeper mud. Since I have installed my winch... never stuck... you can move rocks, trees and yourself and friends or not friends with the proper physics psychics? :facepalm: Well you understand LoL :LOL::CWL:

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
A winch was pretty low on my priority list for the JLU but I won a 9500lb Smittybilt XRC Gen3 with synthetic rope in a raffle. I'll install it whenever my bumper comes in. Back in my SxS days, I used to winch people out a lot (used to live in LA and was in mud all the time) but here its a bit more rare to get stuck unless we are in the dunes.

As for synthetic vs steel rope, my vote is for synthetic. Its lighter weight, but more importantly safer. When steel cable breaks, it can be very dangerous. Synthetic just drops to the ground. Then you can tie it in a square not and resume winching. Also you dont have to worry about getting stabbed by steel strands when you handle it.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
The warn solenoid kit its really easy to install. I just made a bracket to hang it on out of aluminum angle. The electrical hookup is a no brainier.
I have a Warn VR10S-Evo and Warn solenoid kit on the way. Can you post a photo or two of the aluminum bracket you made/mounted?

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I have a Warn VR10S-Evo and Warn solenoid kit on the way. Can you post a photo or two of the aluminum bracket you made/mounted?
I didn't have any aluminum angle left that was long enough to fit between the two factory fender bolts, so I took that flat piece and welded the last chunk of angle to it. But if you went to home depot and got a 2 or 3 inch angle you should be able to do what I did without any welding ;-)
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Winch Winch 20201125_152205
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Winch Winch 20201125_152242

At some point I do want to move this setup and all my custom wiring to the back of the engine compartment. I have some terminal strips that I want to run the power to for my halos and HAM radio and so on. Basically everything that is connected to my accessory switches. The solenoid is where it is because it is connected to the factory accessory switch wiring which is bundled right below the solenoid. So I was lazy and put this there.
But there isn't a lot of room for other connections there, hence wanting to move it all to the back of engine compartment by the firewall.
Sponsored