Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Indeed.

I paid $500 for my first brand-new winch, a Warn 9.5, 10 years ago. That wasn’t too difficult to justify. But $1,500 is a different story.

Besides, a $1,500 winch today does essentially the exact same thing a $500 winch did 10 years ago.
This is the direction I may go in. I've stuck to high quality parts everywhere else, but they get used every time I hit the start button, to a certain degree.
$500 for a winch and then spend $1400 on D44 RCVs sounds like the proper move :idea:
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The stealth still has the ability of using the control both wirelessly and wired, which is something that a number of warn owners are currently wishing they had.
I can see why. The one day a year I need to use the winch...chances are I left the wireless control on the coffee table...! :CWL:

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
I can see why. The one day a year I need to use the winch...chances are I left the wireless control on the coffee table...! :CWL:
Pretty sure it's the same controller, or at least that's how the Smittybilt ones are. I got high centered out in Colorado (actually, my avatar pic is of that exact situation) and for a terrifying moment I thought I left the winch controller in the garage back home when I couldn't find it under the seat where I thought it was. Lucky for me, it just had shifted a little or I would have been stacking rocks for a while.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Still out though. A highlift has other uses, and should be in any self recovery set. A couple extra parts for an emergency makes more sense than 100s of dollars on a winch and bumper for something I’ll use once every couple of years.
Mind you, this is dependent on the type of wheeling I do. If you’re planning on doing Moab or those east coast mud trails every weekend, a winch might make sense.
A hi-lift without metal bumpers?

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
FWIW the only winch I have ever had fail on me was a Warn. And the little fob remote without a wired backup on the high end ones, worst design idea ever. I run a shittybuilt, built in the same factory in China as 80% of the products Warn sells. I know their top end line is made in America, but again, wtf is up with that remote...

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Or in the case of the people that I mentioned, having the controller but it doesn't hold a charge for more than a week or so and very quickly erodes to the point of not even functioning while plugged into the charger.

moonbeam55

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Just bought my 1st wrangler and am prepping it for next year. How much of a pulling power of the winch should I get? Is 9500 lbs enough?

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Just bought my 1st wrangler and am prepping it for next year. How much of a pulling power of the winch should I get? Is 9500 lbs enough?
Yes. You just need enough pulling power to pull the weight of your Jeep, a little extra headroom is nice to overcome resistance (sand, mud, etc..). Remember, you double your pulling power with a snatch block pull, but also remember that you only get the advertised pulling power from the first layer of cable on the drum. Trying to pull things heavier than your Jeep usually just ends up with your Jeep being pulled toward the heavier vehicle so helping big ass trucks that have buried themselves is always gonna be a problem no matter how high your winch is rated.

Sponsored

moonbeam55

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Yes. You just need enough pulling power to pull the weight of your Jeep, a little extra headroom is nice to overcome resistance (sand, mud, etc..). Remember, you double your pulling power with a snatch block pull, but also remember that you only get the advertised pulling power from the first layer of cable on the drum. Trying to pull things heavier than your Jeep usually just ends up with your Jeep being pulled toward the heavier vehicle.
OK, good to know!!!! Thanks!!!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
a good 9.5k winch should be more than enough, unless you are planning to go big and heavy. You have to consider the weight of the winch too. A lot of people go to 12k winch because they say yeaah biggeeer betteeer. But that's also a lot heavier!. So if your jeep is going to be on the light side, a 9.5k winch will save you some weight and keep you within your weight limits. If you are building a dedicated crawler, going big tires, bigger axles, armor everywhere, etc... then a heavier and stronger winch makes sense.