First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I know we have had a poll on here about peoples perspective of wheeling alone, with or without a winch and so on. I am generally interested how many people are running a winch on their front bumper, how many haven't used it, and how many aren't planning to run one.

This is a no judgement poll, I am just purely interested. I know this poll has a bit of bias based on where you live/wheel, so we will just over look that part for now!
Sponsored

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Got to use my Warn Zeon 10S on my '18 two door Rubicon for the first time last month in Moab, helping recover another member in our group who broke both transfer case yokes near the top of Metal Masher, just above Mirror Gulch. Worked like a champ, especially with a snatch block.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Winch Winch 0H6A1590

0H6A1664.jpeg

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
We ran Long Canyon in Moab the day after Christmas 2018. Had to winch out. Better to have it and not need it sorta thing.

RedConePass.jpg

OP
OP
Cleoncini

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Got to use my Warn Zeon 10S on my '18 two door Rubicon for the first time last month in Moab, helping recover another member in our group who broke both transfer case yokes near the top of Metal Masher, just above Mirror Gulch. Worked like a champ, especially with a snatch block.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Winch Winch RedConePass

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Winch Winch RedConePass
Oof, thats a good break!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cleoncini

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
After reading about how much it gets used, and how often I wheel, I’m just going to go with a highlift jack.
Your point brings up considerable cost and weight savings!

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Your point brings up considerable cost and weight savings!
This works over a very short distance when nothing else is available, but trust me, if you use this tool/technique just once to winch over anything more than a few feet, especially on any kind of on-trail grade, your very next purchase will be a winch. Of course, if you do use this, you won't need that gym membership!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I am about to pull the trigger on a Quadratec 10,000 lb winch with synthetic rope.

I’ve owned winches in the past: all Warns....9.5ti, Zeon 10, and I used them.

But I cannot in good conscience justify spending $1,500 on a piece of equipment that gets used once or twice a year. No matter how “good” that brand is.

There are plenty of good quality alternatives out there for a fraction of the price.

OP
OP
Cleoncini

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
This works over a very short distance when nothing else is available, but trust me, if you use this tool/technique just once to winch over anything more than a few feet, especially on any kind of on-trail grade, your very next purchase will be a winch. Of course, if you do use this, you won't need that gym membership!
Short distance recovery and then get to look like Arnold?! Noted. I am not swaying any direction, I just am trying to collect all input :like:

OP
OP
Cleoncini

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I am about to pull the trigger on a Quadratec 10,000 lb winch with synthetic rope.

I’ve owned winches in the past: all Warns....9.5ti, Zeon 10, and I have used them.

But I cannot in good conscience justify spending $1,500 on a piece of equipment that gets used once or twice a year. No matter how “good” that brand is.

There are plenty of good quality alternatives out there for a fraction of the price.
That's a situation I think a lot of us have. I am not one that is able to wheel as consistently as others on this forum, so spending $1,500 on a winch is a tough pill. Especially when I could use that money for underbody armor. I definitely see and am aware of the importance of a winch, but it's also about where on the priority list that falls. Good point on going with Quadratec to save some $$.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
After reading about how much it gets used, and how often I wheel, I’m just going to go with a highlift jack.
If you wanna be all day trying to tinker with this thing and winching 1inch an hr, go for it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That's a situation I think a lot of us have. I am not one that is able to wheel as consistently as others on this forum, so spending $1,500 on a winch is a tough pill. Especially when I could use that money for underbody armor. I definitely see and am aware of the importance of a winch, but it's also about where on the priority list that falls. Good point on going with Quadratec to save some $$.
Indeed.

I paid $500 for my first brand-new winch, a Warn 9.5, 10 years ago. That wasn’t too difficult to justify. But $1,500 is a different story.

Besides, a $1,500 winch today does essentially the exact same thing a $500 winch did 10 years ago.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

I’ve owned winches in the past: all Warns....9.5ti, Zeon 10, and I used them.

This is the direction I may go in. I've stuck to high quality parts everywhere else, but they get used every time I hit the start button, to a certain degree.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There have been three major developments in winch technology in the past decade: (1) synthetic rope, (2) submersible operation, and (3) wireless controls.

For $600, the Quadratec winch offers all 3. And I trust Quadratec has done its homework selecting a quality supplier for its winches. Besides, they have been selling for years.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Indeed.

I paid $500 for my first brand-new winch, a Warn 9.5, 10 years ago. That wasn’t too difficult to justify. But $1,500 is a different story.

Besides, a $1,500 winch today does essentially the exact same thing a $500 winch did 10 years ago.

There have been three major developments in winch technology in the past decade: (1) synthetic rope, (2) submersible operation, and (3) wireless controls.

For $600, the Quadratec winch has all 3.
The stealth still has the ability of using the control both wirelessly and wired, which is something that a number of warn owners are currently wishing they had.
Sponsored