Willys vs Rubicon vs 4 runner

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Haha, maybe to some folks. Sound isnt feel, but sounds like you're trying to argue something that I'm not.
It was in response to the "4r gets up and goes", it's in fact slower than ever model of JL. Not arguing, just pointing out to those that have never driven a 4r that they shouldn't expect v8 performance as they are in fact still slow with the v8.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
So this whole "Rubicon Sport" idea baffles me. They pretty much come that way if you do not pile on the options. The base Rubicon equipment level is nearly identical to a Sport S. I suppose there would be the opportunity to go to steel wheels, roll up windows, 5" screen no AC but would that really sell? Seems to me a fairly "basic" Rubicon already exists...
They want a 0 option rubicon at the base sport price, as if upgrading axles, transfer case, sway bar, shocks, fender flares, rocker protection, wheels/tires, and adding lockers should cost nothing. It’s a pipe dream. Sure they would sell like crazy, because FCA would be eating a huge loss in the process. My local dealer has a 2 door rubicon on the lot right now with the tech package, 7” screen v6 with etorque, 8 speed auto, power windows, and AC for $42k msrp. Show me a bronco for sale for that same price with at least a 33” at, sway bar disco, auto, and power windows. The idea that the rubicon is fca price gouging is absurd. Just because you can buy a rav4 with power everything, leather, big infotainment screen and adaptive cruise control for less doesn’t make the soft roader a better value. I’d rather pay to have the beef where it counts than have the creature comforts as standard.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I like the idea of a base Rubicon. Steel wheels, soft top and half doors. 5” radio, rubber floor and marine vinyl seats. No fancy hood or decals. Options would be automatic trans, AC and a hardtop. Any other options would force you into a regular Rubicon. Kind of like what they did with muscle cars back in the 60s. You could order a very stripped down one specifically for drag racing.

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
I like the idea of a base Rubicon. Steel wheels, soft top and half doors. 5” radio, rubber floor and marine vinyl seats. No fancy hood or decals. Options would be automatic trans, AC and a hardtop. Any other options would force you into a regular Rubicon. Kind of like what they did with muscle cars back in the 60s. You could order a very stripped down one specifically for drag racing.
There's a Willys Sport and the Willys (with added power doors/LED lights/keyless entry) for a couple grand more.
I really appreciate FCA offering the spartan Willys Sport option. Crank windows, halogen lights and key entry save a grand or two off the price for an excellent off-roader.
The Rubicon is fairly priced for what it offers...but some wouldn't mind sacrificing a few "creature comforts" if it reduced the price.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
It depends on which model. The TRD Off-road and TRD Pro models have a manual transfer case with neutral.

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys vs Rubicon vs 4 runner 49B01532-9D81-4F9A-82C3-711819EAB2B9
True: my bad for not stating, it’s the same with the GC .

KOKOKO

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willy's, 2022 Silverado Trail Boss
Ok , some background …
I’ve had current gen 4 runner 1 JKR 2 JLRs and 1 JLUR and I just ordered my wife a 392 JLUR XR…. So I’m very familiar with the Rubicon.

is a Willys comparable to a 4 runner in capability more so than a rubicon ?

I always come back to a jeep and really like the product .
Only thing is I do basic trails and don’t care to rock climb or do anything too difficult or technical . Most technical thing might be like black bear pass or something….

It’s more of a daily and once every 2 month off-roader …
Would a Willys fulfill 90 percent of what I want ?

im Looking to stay more on the budget side since im about to buy the 83k rubicon for my wife…

Thanks !
My 2 cents. Ordered 2021 Willys JLU in April. Paid $2,200 under MRSP in June. Don't need front/rear lockers. Loved the trim package on the Willys. Put $7-8K in mods for some height and tire size (34") recovery, etc. It's freakin perfect. Love driving it. Good luck.
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys vs Rubicon vs 4 runner tempImagemDrbxz

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Toyotas are cars for people who really do not like cars. Reliably but incredibly bland. That suits some peoples personalities but not mine. I have owned over 100 vehicles, never a single Toyota. I have driven plenty of them and every time I do I am reminded why I never have owned one.

I recently had a back to back drive with a 2020 TRD Tacoma manual and my wife's JLR manual. The Jeep is about 100 times more entertaining to drive. The engine sounds MUCH better and I have always hated the sit in a hole feeling the Toyota "trucks" have.

Rubicon vs Willys is a no brainer in my book but the non Rubicon owners love to argue for their chosen models as well. You get a lot of value in a Rubicon if you can stay away from all the non functional options.
This.

Toyotas have massive lists of recalls. They're as old as Rome. They have weak engines, terrible transmissions, and finicky lockers in the diffs. The seating position is often terrible. The interiors are always 15 years behind. The aftermarket is much smaller for them. The fuel economy is poor. The tires they come with are a joke, and you can't go much larger at all without big lift kits. The superior reliability thing is a myth. Show me a Toyota with 500k on the clock and I'll show you six Jeep XJs with 500k on the clock.

I have never been able to figure out how Toyota brainwashed the American public the way they did. It's amazing.

Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
This.

Toyotas have massive lists of recalls. They're as old as Rome. They have weak engines, terrible transmissions, and finicky lockers in the diffs. The seating position is often terrible. The interiors are always 15 years behind. The aftermarket is much smaller for them. The fuel economy is poor. The tires they come with are a joke, and you can't go much larger at all without big lift kits. The superior reliability thing is a myth. Show me a Toyota with 500k on the clock and I'll show you six Jeep XJs with 500k on the clock.

I have never been able to figure out how Toyota brainwashed the American public the way they did. It's amazing.
I can only serve as one anecdotal example, but comparing our current 4Runner to my previous vehicle, it has been exponentially more reliable. But then again the baseline of measurement also includes a couple Fords, so maybe part of it is the bar is set pretty low depending on your vehicle history.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
This.

Because they are so boring to drive, they last forever. The xj will get driven, beaten both on and off road, and pushed to the limit all the way to 200k+ miles with ease in 10 years. The boring ass Toyota will get barely driven, and will often rust out before it hits 200k as nobody who owns a Toyota drives it for fun. Big tires and lockers make anything good off road. At least with a Jeep you're not required to stack transmissions and transfer cases to produce enough torque to move.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I can only serve as one anecdotal example, but comparing our current 4Runner to my previous vehicle, it has been exponentially more reliable. But then again the baseline of measurement also includes a couple Fords, so maybe part of it is the bar is set pretty low depending on your vehicle history.
Well, Ford is the master of brainwashing...

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
Ok , some background …
I’ve had current gen 4 runner 1 JKR 2 JLRs and 1 JLUR and I just ordered my wife a 392 JLUR XR…. So I’m very familiar with the Rubicon.

is a Willys comparable to a 4 runner in capability more so than a rubicon ?

I always come back to a jeep and really like the product .
Only thing is I do basic trails and don’t care to rock climb or do anything too difficult or technical . Most technical thing might be like black bear pass or something….

It’s more of a daily and once every 2 month off-roader …
Would a Willys fulfill 90 percent of what I want ?

im Looking to stay more on the budget side since im about to buy the 83k rubicon for my wife…

Thanks !
Just curious...have you decided on Jeep Willys, Rubicon or 4Runner? 🤔

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
So this whole "Rubicon Sport" idea baffles me. They pretty much come that way if you do not pile on the options. The base Rubicon equipment level is nearly identical to a Sport S. I suppose there would be the opportunity to go to steel wheels, roll up windows, 5" screen no AC but would that really sell? Seems to me a fairly "basic" Rubicon already exists...
This right here - I know because I bought one and it was a pita to find at a dealer. In hindsight I should have just ordered lol. Snagged mine for 42k - Base 2.0t non-etorque JLUR with prox keyless and all weather floor mats. That's it. No leather, no heated anything. Halogen Lights including fogs. The damn thing is perfect in my eyes, and since Jeeps are in the eye of the beholder it's thus the perfect vehicle. The same day they had a sport with options on the lot for 38 (took delivery August 2020). I feel the additional 4k was well worth axles, lockers, transfer case, suspension, and all the rest. If you build em, you can definitely get em cheap. Before the covid insanity they were on lots, too. Give it time - this too shall pass.
Sponsored