• Total voters

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The cost of a Wrangler is why I haven't yet purchased one despite lusting after the JL since its introduction. It's not the actual sticker price (I can afford it) but the value. It becomes hard to feel like the Wrangler is anything other than way overpriced when I can buy a luxury SUV for the same price, and that luxury SUV costs the manufacturer way more to produce than a Wrangler. Or I can offroad in my modified WJ and go anywhere I'd drive a Wrangler, at a fraction of the cost. In my mind the JL is $8-10k over where it should be to still earn a good profit for Jeep and provide reasonable value for a consumer...
Way more to produce? Most modern suvs are unibody, aka it's built on a stamped soda can rather than a real frame. Fully independent suspension with stamped sheet metal arms. Most are all wheel drive at best, aka no transfer case. Look at the price of actual body on frame, 4wd with a low range competitors. A. There aren't many B. They aren't any cheaper than a wrangler C. If they are actual luxury brands they are substantially more expensive. A base 2wd 4runner is $37k, and that is far from luxury. A Lexus gx starts a $55k and quickly approaches $90k. Land rover defender $80-100k. Nobody wants to admit it, but a new truck or real suv is basically going to cost you $40k+ no matter who built it.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The cost of a Wrangler is why I haven't yet purchased one despite lusting after the JL since its introduction. It's not the actual sticker price (I can afford it) but the value. It becomes hard to feel like the Wrangler is anything other than way overpriced when I can buy a luxury SUV for the same price, and that luxury SUV costs the manufacturer way more to produce than a Wrangler. Or I can offroad in my modified WJ and go anywhere I'd drive a Wrangler, at a fraction of the cost. In my mind the JL is $8-10k over where it should be to still earn a good profit for Jeep and provide reasonable value for a consumer...
You'll be surprised at the value of a Wrangler versus a luxury SUV. After five years of ownership, my JK retained 67% of its value. A typical luxury SUV (including the GC) - maybe 33%.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Way more to produce? Most modern suvs are unibody, aka it's built on a stamped soda can rather than a real frame. Fully independent suspension with stamped sheet metal arms. Most are all wheel drive at best, aka no transfer case. Look at the price of actual body on frame, 4wd with a low range competitors. A. There aren't many B. They aren't any cheaper than a wrangler C. If they are actual luxury brands they are substantially more expensive. A base 2wd 4runner is $37k, and that is far from luxury. A Lexus gx starts a $55k and quickly approaches $90k. Land rover defender $80-100k. Nobody wants to admit it, but a new truck or real suv is basically going to cost you $40k+ no matter who built it.
no transfer case? A transfer case is a requirement to drive 4 wheels. They just aren’t 2 speeds.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Perhaps, but the Cherokee sucks. It’s ugly and boring and nobody gets excited to drive one.
Can't disagree, but on pavement it's superior to the Wrangler, so it's a logical place to look for higher-mileage 2.0Ts.

Deleted member 59498

Seems there are like 2 SUVs fighting for first spot for resale every year, Wrangler and 4Runner. That is value when you can recoup a huge amount of your money back. Wrangler put distance this year

SUVs With the Highest Resale Value for 2021
  • Jeep Wrangler - 84.1 Percent Retained Value
  • Toyota 4Runner - 68.1 Percent Retained Value
  • Subaru Crosstrek - 62.3 Percent Retained Value
  • Porsche Macan- 60.5 Percent Retained Value
  • Lexus NX300h- 58.1 Percent Retained Value
  • Subaru Forester- 56.8 Percent Retained Value
  • Subaru Ascent- 56.6 Percent Retained Value
  • Chevrolet Tahoe- 56.1 Percent Retained Value
  • Toyota RAV4 Hybrid- 55.8 Percent Retained Value
  • Toyota Highlander- 55.8 Percent Retained Value
  • Toyota C-HR- 55.6 Percent Retained Value
  • Lexus RX350 and RX450h - 55.6 Percent Retained Value
  • Honda CR-V Hybrid- 55.2 Percent Retained Value
  • Porsche Cayenne- 54.7 Percent Retained Value
  • Toyota Venza - 54.7 Percent Retained Value

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
no transfer case? A transfer case is a requirement to drive 4 wheels. They just aren’t 2 speeds.
I guess that depends on your definition of a transfer case, but when it's nothing more than a differential it's obviously far cheaper to produce than a 2 speed transfer case with 2wd capability and gear reduction.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I guess that depends on your definition of a transfer case, but when it's nothing more than a differential it's obviously far cheaper to produce than a 2 speed transfer case with 2wd capability and gear reduction.
I’ll take the traditional definition and also what the manufacturers describe them as. These single speed transfer cases these days can be had for a few hundred bucks and are about the size of my fist.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
There is only ONE choice if you want a 2-door. The 3.6. and that would be with eTorque if you wanted a Rubicon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
No argument there.

However, twice in the past I sold my Wrangler thinking I was over it and bought something else. I missed it so much six months later I was back in a Wrangler.

Now I know better. There will always need to be a Jeep Wrangler on my garage.

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
i got offered what I paid for my 2021 JLR with etorque and I was thinking of buying a used 2019 of the exact same Jeep/options that’s near me to get rid of the Etorque. I haven’t had any issues but longevity worries me. I’m probably being ridiculous

Sponsored

MissRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
We have a 2021 v6 and a 2021 4xe. My personal opinion: go for the v6.

Why? Honestly, it's a proven engine, and if there are issues, you won't have a hard time figuring out what is wrong. Our 4xe has been great so far, but you really only get the electric benefits if you're driving short distances, like around town. In addition, we have a friend that also has a 4xe, and it had some major issues about 3 months ago and it took Jeep over 2 months to find and fix the issues, due to it being such a new engine. This is just one instance and it's anecdotal, true, but the first generation of a new engine usually has some kinks that need to be worked out. Just depends on how comfortable you are taking that risk.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

for me it would come down to 4xe or V6. the 4xe would be great for my daily usage. we now have a plug in Pacifica and drive it every day and rarely put fuel in it.

BUT, and its a big ole BUTT, you cant get the XR package on the 4xe (unless im mistaken) and that XR package is awfully tempting... id almost be hesitant to mod a 4xe for fear of them denying your warranty for any issues of any kind. bigger tires and gearing could easily be blamed for causing issues with the hybrid system.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
OP, If I had to pick from your poll it would probably be the EcoDiesel.

That said, My 2019 JLU had the 3.6L with manual transmission.
My current JT has the 3.6L with the 8-speed auto.
I'm satisfied with both powertrains.

If I could put in a request, it would be for the 5.7L Hemi as an engine option with manual or auto transmissions.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
Kml
Are we supposed to just pretend that the eco diesel isn’t going to cost extra time money and headaches compared to a NA V-6 gas engine?
How can anyone? You predict the future regularly? This is a red herring argument to get into because there is no possible way to see into the future. Diesels have higher maintenance costs but "headache"? I get it you don't like the diesel. Move on and your opinion is noted.
Sponsored