• Total voters

Sholmberg0311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
Occupation
Adult baby sitter
61k miles my 18 JLUS is currently at the dealer trying to figure out if my batteries are causing my issues with stop/start.
Sponsored

Sholmberg0311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
Occupation
Adult baby sitter
61k miles my 18 JLUS is currently at the dealer trying to figure out if my batteries are causing my issues with stop/start.
So just recieved update from dealership . Both of my batteries were bad at 61k miles. So until today I have had zero issues with my wrangler. I guess that isnt all bad.

396_425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
31,000 miles on our 2018 JL Rubicon and just replaced both batteries this weekend. Stop/start had quit working and a message "aux switches not usable due to battery charging." Looked up a great YouTube video and probably took 45 minutes to remove and install new batteries. ESS works and no messages.

Last edited:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Because ESS is used to acquire the emissions certification and ESS won’t work with inadequate batteries, both batteries are covered as are their respective solenoids, controllers and relays.
This is a good argument for batteries to be covered under the 8 /80 Federal Emissions Warranty.

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
2018 3.6 Auto, 35 months & 20,100 miles, main and aux batteries are still original.

Sponsored

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
2019, auto, 24mos, 55k mi, main and aux original, showing signs of degradation (ESS only works on the first stop then goes into battery protection mode no matter how far/long I drive).

alanh2c6

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I purchased (3) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL. Only the 1 in Phoenix AZ needed to replace both batteries. If you receive an warning on your dash about anything (remote start/stop) do not wait go and replace both batteries ASAP. If you live in hot area plan on every two years. That's what Jeep dealership informed me.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Still going strong at 29 months of ownership and over 30 since my 2019 JLUR was built. Probably just jinxed myself. I suspect they are on borrowed time. I honestly hope they die in the next 6mo so they get covered under warranty.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I purchased (3) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL. Only the 1 in Phoenix AZ needed to replace both batteries. If you receive an warning on your dash about anything (remote start/stop) do not wait go and replace both batteries ASAP. If you live in hot area plan on every two years. That's what Jeep dealership informed me.
It's hard to know what to believe. A normal flooded lead acid of good quality should last 30-36 months if driven frequently in a hot climate. I've read that the AGM batteries are supposed to last twice as long. However I read a lot about people with failed small batteries so those must be short lived. I agree that any sign of battery problem after 2 years you should just put in a new battery.

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
March 2019 build - both batteries replaced last week under warranty (29k miles).

Stop/start hadn't kicked in for probably all of 2021 (fine with me). I suspect one wasn't good and shortened the others life.

Edit: Should mention I have been doing A LOT of very short trips (drop off kids daily at school) the past 1.5 years with very little highway driving (once a week).

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Big Battery- 38 months and still going strong
Crappy Lawnmower Thing- approx 1 year, before it was acting up. Couldn't take it, and demanded a new one, at 36 months, under warranty.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
In AZ., Battery kife expectancy is about 3 years. With a AGM, maybe 4.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I don't deserve to vote. I've had my 3.6L JL since 2018, I rarely drive, and ESS has pretty much never not worked.

If it sounds to good to be true it is. The part I'm not mentioning but should is that my vehicle is hooked up to a trickle charger when parked.
If you have original large battery I would recommend replacing it with the best that you can buy now. Coming into a time of year with bad weather in your area you don't want it to be unreliable.

I recommend doing without the small battery unless you really like the ESS feature. Since you have a 2018 you would have to have it flashed or it would not work without the small battery in the system or a jumper that you can read about in other extremely long threads here. I found out my 2018 was flashed, I disconnected the small battery and exchanged the big battery for the best one I could buy.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
No real story for me, my main crank failed after 7 months of purchasing ( replaced under warranty )and never had an issue after that but the whole idea of two dissimilar batteries never sat well with me and then I just never really liked where the ESS battery was located, I did not have the TSB patch applied for the ESS battery so if if died I would have been screwed so I replaced it all with a Genesis dual system and never looked back., we’re there and is there less costly options…YES there are lots of options but I simply love the extra power.

FCA really dropped the ball on the whole battery/ESS thing

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
2019 3.6 w/ESS... 27 months and 20k miles from purchase date, 34 months from build date, since mine sat on the lot for 7 months. Replaced main and aux under warranty last week. I had about 2 months of ESS not working with message mostly saying "battery protection mode". Remote start didn't work for 2 days before completely dead. Portable jump starter worked twice to get me to my previously scheduled appointment to have batteries checked.
Sponsored