First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I have a likely dumb question. My spare got stolen at the dealership overnight (they are replacing). I’d like to prevent that or at least make it a bit harder. Got locking lugs.
The question. Do I need to lift the wheel to replace a single lug per tire? I said it was probably dumb. I’m also wondering how that keyed lug will do with torque that high.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I have a likely dumb question. My spare got stolen at the dealership overnight (they are replacing). I’d like to prevent that or at least make it a bit harder. Got locking lugs.
The question. Do I need to lift the wheel to replace a single lug per tire? I said it was probably dumb. I’m also wondering how that keyed lug will do with torque that high.
you can swap them out one at a time or all 3 at once if you have to. No need to raise the tire. Most spline keys can accept a 21 or 22mm socket. I use the 22mm more times than not as it sits further on the socket. Spline sockets are fine at the rated torque of the lugs

brett

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Bolt lock for the spare, otherwise get some spline wheel lugs for the ones on the road.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
If you can’t handle 130 ft. lb. lug nuts perhaps you’d be better off with a Prius.
My 11 year old could click the 1/2" drive at 130 ft lbs.

Amazing how many were under that from the dealer on wife's jeep.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
This thread is cracking me up! I’ve always done my lugs the same way since my dad taught me as a child... never had a problem. star pattern, start with your hands then finish by stepping down with your foot. Or in the reverse to remove, talk about true foot pounds! Just double checked and mine are at 130ft/lbs at least.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
JL/JLU:

130 ft/lb torque for wheel lug nuts and 59 ft/lb on the spare tire lugs.

Donevan.Ausborn

First Name
Donevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangle JLU Sport S 2.0, 03 VTX 1800 C
It does, especially considering that the instructions that come with most aftermarket wheels spec around 90 ft/lbs. And, you have to take into consideration that if you do get a flat, you have to remove those lugs with a lug wrench. It takes a pretty good size guy to break 130 ft/lbs loose with those little lug wrenches that are included with Jeeps.
I have no problem breaking them loose, just hold your breath and pull

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
This thread is a little funny.
In the first response, the page out of the manual showing the factory wheel torque specs was posted, (asked & answered).
When you go to a reputable tire shop, what's the last thing they do after putting your wheels back on?
Torque the nuts to factory spec.
End of story.
Why would you do anything else? 🤔

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This may be a noob question….. but would aftermarket wheels and then needing to use spline lugs to fit said wheels lug holes ..so does a different rim and more importantly a totally different type of lug nut change the torque spec???

Fyi I went with the gorilla spline lug nuts which are much skinnier than the factory acorn lugs.

Thanks

Last edited:

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This may be a noob question….. but would aftermarket wheels and then needing to use spline lugs to fit said wheels lug holes ..so how different rim and more importantly a totally different type of lug nut change the torque spec???

Fyi I went with the gorilla spline lug nuts which are much skinnier than the factory acorn lugs.

Thanks
Use the recommended torque of 130 ft lbs, unless the wheel manufacturer specifies something LESS. I've never seen this, but hypothetically it could happen. You don't want to use MORE torque than specified by Jeep or you will risk snapping the wheel studs.

I use spline lug nuts and they've been just fine at 130 ft lbs.

Jeffy56

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
130 ft-lbs. is what the manual says. Surprised me. 100 ft-lbs. for Ford trucks has been the standard for decades, 1/2" studs (12.5mm).
130 ft-lbs. for 14mm makes sense.