Wheel Torque Specifications JL/JLU

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
JL/JLU

Important: Note that torque for spare tire is different!
wheel torque.JPG
Sponsored

Csward12

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Doesn’t 130 seem a bit high?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Well, 130 ft/lbs is the torque recommended in the JL Owner's Manual for all but the spare which is 59 ft/lbs.

;;;;;.JPG

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It does, especially considering that the instructions that come with most aftermarket wheels spec around 90 ft/lbs. And, you have to take into consideration that if you do get a flat, you have to remove those lugs with a lug wrench. It takes a pretty good size guy to break 130 ft/lbs loose with those little lug wrenches that are included with Jeeps.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've defaulted to 95 ft-lbs for just that reason. I couldn't imagine trying to break those things loose at 130. Torque specs are based on the fastener size (usually) considering the application, that's partly why the tire carrier is way less.

Sponsored

Csward12

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I've defaulted to 95 ft-lbs for just that reason. I couldn't imagine trying to break those things loose at 130. Torque specs are based on the fastener size (usually) considering the application, that's partly why the tire carrier is way less.
I did 100 4000 miles ago. No issues.

c.riedinger

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
1939F93C-7665-434C-8751-9BC2AFBF60D7.jpeg
[GALLERY=][GALLERY=][/GALLERY][/GALLERY]So I got some new wheels for the silver bullet JL yesterday and the place that I got the wheels from put the lugs on so tight I broke a breaker bar 1/2 socket part trying to get the wheels off to put a 2.5 spacer kit that I got 1/2 way done today

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
It does, especially considering that the instructions that come with most aftermarket wheels spec around 90 ft/lbs. And, you have to take into consideration that if you do get a flat, you have to remove those lugs with a lug wrench. It takes a pretty good size guy to break 130 ft/lbs loose with those little lug wrenches that are included with Jeeps.
Awww come on you can do it! Just put your back into it! All that aside I have mine set at 120 because thats what my spacers called for. Always thought it was a bit high too, although suprisingly they werent too hard to loosen on the trail with the tire iron that comes stock with the jeep.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just put my big torque wrench in my jeep under the rear storage in the back. :like:

Sponsored

bgj1010

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Systems Engineer - Manager
A little late to the party, but if Jeep prints 130ft-lb in the manual, why is there even a debate or question? If they feel 130ft-lb is proper torque, then that's that, in black and white. I was just here to make sure my spacers were torqued adequately, which they are, but mine didn't come with the threadlocker. I'm going to get some red and remove/reinstall them after work tonight, 130ft-lb for both spacers and wheels...
Side note, unless you get the base Sport with steel wheels, all the other trim levels are equipped with aluminum. There is no *special note for steel/aluminum. My WRX was 70 or 80 I believe. How could a rugged off-roading machine have anywhere even close to that?

Jeep barcode logo.jpg

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
No need to imagine, I'll just tell you :)

It's ........ extremely ...... easy. I religiously check the torque on my wheels and spacers. I am also a pretty skinny dude, so if its easy for me to get the lug nuts off at 130 ft-lbs torque then it should be easy for anyone. Also, I don't use a breaker bar to do it.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The carrier is "way less" because it's made of plastic. I always go to 130 all around on mine. It's really not that much, especially doing it with a 1/2" drive torque wrench.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Proper torque is proper torque, these are 14mm lugs, not 1/2". It's actually nice to see such fasteners holding down our most important parts :)

Only 130 for me!