Sponsored

What size winch for JLR 2dr?

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I’ve got a 10k Smitty. More than enough winch. I’d rather have more than needed than not enough. 8 k would certainly pull a JL with no issue though..
Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I say go as big as you can because that rating is only for the first roll on the spool. The consequent rolls have a smaller rating than the maximum of the first roll. The ratings for each consecutive roll of spool should be in the user’s manual.

You don’t unwind the winch completely every time you use it, so it’s never at the maximum rating because the line is rarely pulled all the way out, which is what is required to reach the maximum capacity of the winch.

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
I do not have any true winch experience but thinking along the same lines wondering if it make any sense to go bigger and whether that would actually help pulling out a bigger rig?
Just remember, if you go bigger on a winch for the possibility of pulling a larger vehicle, the winch might be able handle the weight, but your jeep now becomes the anchor for that heavier vehicle. Also, environment plays a factor. If stuck in mud, that increases the pull weight as trying to pull out of mud can create suction.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
8k is what I'd run on a 2 door. I had an 8k zeon on my jk and never had any issues pulling other people when it was needed.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I guess I don't know. Does it matter where the motor/winch is located, or will the lighter vehicle always be pulled to the heavier vehicle (conditions being equal)? Is the fixed object (heavier vehicle) really pulling the lighter vehicle (Jeep with winch)?
All else being equal the heavier vehicle become the anchor and the lighter one moves. Obviously that can change if the lighter vehicle has locked brakes while the heavier one is actually under power trying to move toward the lighter one. A lighter vehicle can fairly easily move a heavier one under the right conditions.

Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I guess I don't know. Does it matter where the motor/winch is located, or will the lighter vehicle always be pulled to the heavier vehicle (conditions being equal)? Is the fixed object (heavier vehicle) really pulling the lighter vehicle (Jeep with winch)?
I have a lot of experience with vehicle recovery, but hesitate to call myself an expert.

In mud or sand the stuck vehicle will usually pull the vehicle with the winch toward it. Because, well, it's stuck and you aren't ;). I always look for something to brace against when positioning my Jeep for the pull. Here in the Midwest it's OK to put the bumper against a tree or maybe there is a big rock or rut to put a front tire against. Sometimes I put a tree saver around a tree and run my winch line extension to the rear bumper. In the sand I've run snatch straps back to one or even two other rigs to serve as an anchor. I've never buried my spare to make an anchor but know it's a possibility.

If the vehicle simply can't make it up a hill AND you're are on the top you can often give enough assistance without much of an anchor or brace. This is because the winch cable angles down the hill and it will put a lot of weight on your front suspension which translates to a lot of grip by your front tires. This assumes the stuck vehicle is helping climb the hill. If not you will probably need an anchor to keep you from rolling forward.

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got a 10k Smitty. More than enough winch. I’d rather have more than needed than not enough. 8 k would certainly pull a JL with no issue though..
Me too. I have used for self recovery and assisting others numerous times.

92BD2416-41C2-40D7-B5FA-97FF81BF999E.jpeg

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
I recently installed my very first winch on my 2-door Willys and it is a 10K. However, the reason it's a 10K and not an 8K is because that was the lowest rated Quadratec Stealth winch. To save weight I installed a GenRight aluminum stubby bumper and when all was said and done the front end sagged down about 1/4" more than with the stock plastic bumper.

My very first use of the winch, of course, was just to pre-tension the line. I hooked up to a tree with a tree saver and then lightly (or so I thought) set the parking brake to offer some resistance. I was so busy watching how the line wrapped onto the drum that I failed to notice this is what was happening behind the Jeep. Boy did I feel stupid.

Jeep Wrangler JL What size winch for JLR 2dr? IMG_6090

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I recently installed my very first winch on my 2-door Willys and it is a 10K. However, the reason it's a 10K and not an 8K is because that was the lowest rated Quadratec Stealth winch. To save weight I installed a GenRight aluminum stubby bumper and when all was said and done the front end sagged down about 1/4" more than with the stock plastic bumper.

My very first use of the winch, of course, was just to pre-tension the line. I hooked up to a tree with a tree saver and then lightly (or so I thought) set the parking brake to offer some resistance. I was so busy watching how the line wrapped onto the drum that I failed to notice this is what was happening behind the Jeep. Boy did I feel stupid.

Jeep Wrangler JL What size winch for JLR 2dr? IMG_6090
Same thing here, but on asphalt and from the transmission going into auto-park when the door was open. A Warn Zeon 10-S will apparently pull a JLR in park up a slight incline...

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I say go as big as you can because that rating is only for the first roll on the spool. The consequent rolls have a smaller rating than the maximum of the first roll. The ratings for each consecutive roll of spool should be in the user’s manual.

You don’t unwind the winch completely every time you use it, so it’s never at the maximum rating because the line is rarely pulled all the way out, which is what is required to reach the maximum capacity of the winch.
That's one of the reasons (I like) to use a snatch block. You can pull more line, and maximize pulling power. 8k lbs winch, with a snatch block, can pull (much) more than 8k.

Sponsored

Jeffery

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2-door, and 1987 YJ with 427 SBC
Ok Im a noob so which is recommended - steel or synthetic and why?...

Steel. Can drag it over obstacles without fear of cutting. Cheaper. Lasts forever.

Downside, you can throw the hook to someone accross the mudhole with a synthetic line.

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Ok Im a noob so which is recommended - steel or synthetic and why?...
Synthetic is lighter, safer, and easier to work with. If only for occasional use, seems the way to go but it is more expensive.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Your two-door will weigh approximately 4,500 lbs. Winch size philosophy has traditionally been 1.5x the weight of the vehicle it's on. That puts you at 6,750. An 8,000 lbs winch rating should be plenty. Remember when people are saying bigger is better that physics (I'm not a physician) will pull you, or the lighter vehicle. If you're pulling a 9,000 lbs Super Duty with your two-door Jeep...well, you're not, you're pulling your 4,500 lbs two-door Wrangler toward them. So, a big winch doesn't mean much, depending on what/where you're pulling.

Winching technique is more important than winch size.

I have a Warn Zeon 8.
That only works with two vehicles pulling against each other with no other resistance aside from their own weight. The 4500 lb. Jeep is going to be a 4500 lb. anchor. The 9000 lb. Super Duty isn't going to require 9000 lbs. of force applied to move unless it's REALLY stuck.

I'd install the highest capacity winch that I can afford and will physically fit.
Sponsored